Nikon 85mm 1.8G AF-S vs. 85mm 1.4G AF-S

QuasarQuasar Posts: 24Member
edited July 2013 in Nikon Lenses
Hi guys,

I just bought a D800 and I'm looking for a very sharp lens to capture all that detail. DXOMark lists the 85mm Nikkor primes as being the sharpest (please correct me if I'm wrong). DXO 1.8G & DXO 1.4G

I was trying to research whether or not the 1.4G was worth the extra $$$$ over the 1.8G. I will rarely be shooting at F 1.4, I'll most likely be shooting F4 or 5.6.

However, I was watching this video comparison on youtube (ThatNikonGuy channel) and the 1.4G looks like it has way more contrast and richness to the colors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZkbEivJbUw

Does anyone have any idea if this is really the case or was the camera just set up slightly differently and the reviewer didn't notice, or something else?

Thoughts?

Comments

• Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    The 85 1.8G is a fantastic lens...you will not be disappointed by it. Give that you will not be shooting to often @ 1.4, the 1.8 version will suit your needs in many way. Save the funds and put it towards the 14-24 2.8 to go with your D800.

Happy shopping...
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • QuasarQuasar Posts: 24Member
    The 85 1.8G is a fantastic lens...you will not be disappointed by it. Give that you will not be shooting to often @ 1.4, the 1.8 version will suit your needs in many way. Save the funds and put it towards the 14-24 2.8 to go with your D800.

Happy shopping...
    That's what I was thinking, but after seeing that video I was left with more questions than answers.

The sample pictures shown in the video look to me as though there's a fairly large difference in color saturation and contrast, even though they're both very sharp.

Now I don't know if it was just the camera settings, or if he did anything in post. I would assume since he's a pro & he's trying to make an objective comparison that wouldn't be the case, but you know what they say about assumptions lol.

When I look at Nikon's site these are the techs associated with each lens are identical except for the Nano Crystal Coating. Could the NC really increase contrast & color saturation that much?

85mm 1.8G AF-S

* Internal Focusing (IF)
    * Silent Wave Motor (SWM)
    * M/A mode (MA) - allows switching from manual to AF on the fly
    * Super Integrated Coating (SIC) - coating to reduce lens flare

85mm 1.4G AF-S

* Internal Focusing (IF)
    * Silent Wave Motor (SWM)
    * M/A mode (MA) - allows switching from manual to AF on the fly
    * Super Integrated Coating (SIC) - coating to reduce lens flare
    * Nano Crystal Coat (NC) - eliminates internal lens element reflections at all wavelengths

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I think somebody on this forum in another thread is moaning about terrible CA with the 85/1.4G which you don't get with the 1.8G IIRC.
    Always learning.
  • FlowtographyBerlinFlowtographyBerlin Posts: 477Member
    @Quasar: I think on this level of comparison, the only chance to answer the question is if you order both and compare it yourself. Whenever I was in doubt, I always did so, and many times I discovered things that weren't mentioned by others. There are so many myths that are being spread on the internet that it's hard to synthesize them for a specific question.

If you have the money to order the 1.4 anyway, just go ahead and order the two. Reserve a day on the weekend for testing and send the one back that was more disappointing.

I'd do a focus test chart image series (although very simple, you can see a lot on those, like sharpness, CA, focus shift), some wide-open shots of high-contrast motives in bright light and in lower light, and some color-intensive motives. Don't forget to take some images with a bright light source outside of and inside the frame to check for haze and flare resistance.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Please do a forum search before starting new threads. This is where the topic starts:

http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/334/nikon-af-s-85mm-f1-8g-lens-the-best-85mm-lens-in-the-dxomark-database/p1
    Msmoto, mod
This discussion has been closed.