D800 "Quiet" Mode: Is there any disadvantage (i.e. shutter life)?

FlowtographyBerlinFlowtographyBerlin Posts: 477Member
edited August 2013 in D6x0/D7x0/D8x0
Hi all,

I just "discovered" the quiet mode on the D800, I had never bothered with it since it's not really quiet at all (as opposed i.e. to the 5D MkIII quiet mode). While I had it switched on just for the heck of it last night (taking family event pictures), I noticed the noise is not really any lower, but more pleasant and not as paparazzo style, which is nice in a family event context where you don't want to bother too much but still need to take many shots of one scene to get that one winner shot where people like themselves.

Now, I was wondering: Is there any downside of using the Q mode? I mean apart from the handling? I.e. does it put more strain on the shutter mechanism or something? Does anyone happen to know?

Thanks a lot in advance,
Flow

Comments

• AdeAde Posts: 1,071Member
    In Q mode, the shutter operates exactly as normal, so there is no extra strain on the shutter mechanism.

What's different is the operation of the mirror. In Q mode, instead of resetting immediately after each frame, the mirror is held up until you let go of the shutter button.

Try this:

With the camera in Q mode, press and hold the shutter button. Then let go of the button. You can clearly hear the mirror resetting when you let go of the button.
  • FlowtographyBerlinFlowtographyBerlin Posts: 477Member
    Yeah, I know, although the release sound is indeed softer than when in normal mode. Was just wondering if there's any mechanical downside on using it heavily.
  • AdeAde Posts: 1,071Member
    Nothing mechanically. Maybe a slight impact on battery life (from holding the mirror up) if used very heavily.
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    There is no downside. So use it in any venue you feel it calls for Q mode.
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |