A new Sensor Cleaning Tool -- for the public

Comments

• roombarobotroombarobot Posts: 201Member

The one I bought, via an ebay link in this thread, is white, not blue. I wonder if that matters.

Nassim also has an informative how-to video on using the gel sensor stick
    http://photographylife.com/how-to-use-the-sensor-gel-stick
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    edited February 2014
    its time to order mine. i found one on ebay for under 10.00 I'm just wondering if the ebay one is a knockoff/cheaper material.

the one @ton posted it went up in price but his results are good. I'm guessing just to order it anyways.
    Fstoppers and petapixel have chimed in on this now.
    Post edited by Vipmediastar_JZ on
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    The savings on the cheap ripoffs are simply not worth it. Get the real thing from Eyelead in Germany, and rest assured it works...
    edited February 2014
    Order has been placed. The chicago auto show is this weekend and well i need a clean sensor.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    I received mine back in January, and I have to say that the Eyelead works extremely well.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    I received mine today. Its from eyelead.

Unfortunately I will need a wet cleaning.
    After i gave it a second pass there seems to be some particles stuck on the sensor filter. I dont think its a scratch by any ways but it looks like it.

The before and after shows improvement however.

The tool did its job IMO but two particles really messed it up for me.
    I found that I needed to do four passes to get rid of 95% of the dust on my D800's sensor.
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    To really see what is on your sensor, get the Loupe. IMHO this is a must have item for those that choose to clean their own sensors.
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
    edited February 2014
    I used the light on my iphone 5s. I know its not as powerful but i could see fairly well.

Here is a pic to amaze everybody

Sensor of d800

Edit: i gave it abother pass and the particles are gone but i still need a wet clean.

I used a $5.00 led light from walgreens. It was better light.
  • shawninoshawnino Posts: 453Member
    Got my kit off ebay.
    It sat on my table a week.
    Once I calmed myself down and got my hands to stop shaking in fear, easy-peasy. :)

Well, well worth the money and effort.
  • dissentdissent Posts: 1,338Member
    At some point I need to get me one of these.
    - Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]
  • HipShotHipShot Posts: 528Member
    edited April 2014
    I dusted a sensor for the first time ever, last night. The 7x loupe was a big help!

The camera is a Nikon D40. Although I'd hate to have done any damage, I felt fairly comfortable trying it on that camera first.

Turned out great!
    Post edited by HipShot on
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    Has anyone tried this gel stick for oil spots? (I have a number of rather large round spots on my D800 sensor, think it's oil)
  • roombarobotroombarobot Posts: 201Member

Snakebunk, this isn't for oil, it is made for dust and other debris. Dust makes the stick not sticky and you need to use one of the pads to remove it. If you have oil on your sensor, a wet clean is likely your best option, imho.

• Rx4PhotoRx4Photo Posts: 1,200Member
    Why can't I just use some double sided Scotch tape stuck to my fingertip ?
    JK :))
    D800 | D7000 | Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 35mm f/1.8G | 85mm f/1.4G | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar ZF.2 | Flash controllers: Phottix Odin TTL

• jshirleyjshirley Posts: 16Member
    No thanks.

I'll just keep sending my D600 back to Nikon @Melville NY for a "Sensor Dust - No charge/Good Will Repair" for as long as I can. :)
    Nikon D600, D7000, 50 1.4G, 85 1.4G, 105 2,8G, 24-70 2.8G, 55-200dx, 35 1.8DX, 12-24DX, 55 2.8 Micro.
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member

Snakebunk, this isn't for oil, it is made for dust and other debris. Dust makes the stick not sticky and you need to use one of the pads to remove it. If you have oil on your sensor, a wet clean is likely your best option, imho.

Thank you!

• PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    No thanks.

I'll just keep sending my D600 back to Nikon @Melville NY for a "Sensor Dust - No charge/Good Will Repair" for as long as I can. :)
    Hopefully at one point they are going to say, we would like to offer you a free exchange of your D00 for a D610.
    :D
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    Bringing back an old post, I'd just like to know if anyone here has ever had any problems with the gel sticks?

I was looking to get a new stick, as the old one is worn out, and not really sticky anymore, and I came across a review in where someone claimed he had actually peeled coating off the sensor... and a new sensor was obviously needed.

I don't know if I believe it, as I have heard many many people using them daily, as well as seen videos of professionals using the gels ticks...
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,692Member
    Check the camera type in the review where someone claimed it peeled coating off the sensor. I think that doesn't apply to Nikon sensor. With Nikon you are actually cleaning a glass on top of the sensor, not the sensor or any coating.
    Yes, I believe that was only Sony sensors in Sony cameras, which needed a different kind of stick.
    Actually it was a Canon that was mentioned.
    Sony had the issue is well, there was a big deal about that at Photography Life, since they sell them.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,692Member
    edited March 2017
    For whatever it's worth.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKhBA8HkMEo

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF2zzI0pPHg

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiXdtd_w96M

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxCoga09-0Y

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGg9bJYE9hE

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CPesMSBVbE

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNrMr5KX1B0
    Post edited by donaldejose on
  • MegapixelSchnitzelMegapixelSchnitzel Posts: 185Member
    Sensor cleaning is a terrible paradox. You clean, then you examine. By the act of examining, you get more dust on your sensor. The goal to prevent gnashing of teeth and possible suicide is to be happy with less dust than you originally started out with.