Nikon Film Cameras anyone?

Comments

• mk2popmk2pop Posts: 80Member
    i use an F75 most of the time with B&W film, and a couple of F65's from time to time, (all bought for less than £30) i process my own B&W stuff too and really enjoy it,
    i think when i finally get a D400 ill upgrade my film stuff to a couple of F5's
    D300 | D90 | D40 | F65 x2 | F75 | 10-24mm | 18-200mm | 35mm f1.8 | 50mm 1.4d | 40mm Micro | 70-300mm Tamron | 100-300mm f4 Sigma |1.4x Sigma tc | Sb400 | Sb900 x2

Awaiting a DX D400
  • adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    proud user of f100... no sensor cleaning problem, no charging problem as aa batts are everywhere + the thrill of waiting till film is developed
  • Tradewind35Tradewind35 Posts: 77Member
    My original FM2 is still going strong after 25 years use. I bought another one second hand which is equally good but in more recent years I got an FM3A which is even better. Wonderful mechanical and part electronic engineering masterpeices. Wonder how many of today's digital bodies will still be working in 25 years?
  • studio460studio460 Posts: 205Member
    edited January 2013
    Currently owned film bodies:

1. Nikon FM2 (purchased brand new in the early 1980s: battle-worn condition)
    2. Nikon N90s (purchased used: mint-condition)
    3. Nikon F6 (purchased used: mint-condition)

I actually love all three bodies in different ways. I really like the N90s for some reason (always wanted one). But the F6 is a dream to hold. You just feel like you're making "art" when you shoot this body. I also have a Nikon EM and a couple of N6006s stashed somewhere.
    Post edited by studio460 on
    This reminds me . . . I gotta go out and shoot more film!
  • safyresafyre Posts: 113Member
    Finally did my first ever shoot with my F100 and film. Used Kodak Portra 400 and BW400CN. Really liked the look of Portra, however I wasn't too blown away with the 400CN. The B&W's looked a little too much like what you can get with digital. Anyone have experience with the other C-41 films like Ilford XP2? Or is it just better to go with a true B&W despite the higher processing costs?
  • CorrelliCorrelli Posts: 135Member
    I never really liked the look of the XP2 compared to true b&w films. I always felt that it was a lot softer but I never experimented a lot with it. I never tried the Kodak one.

How did you process the images? I mean, did you get prints from a shop or did you do them by yourself or did you scan the film?
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,699Member
    Good video!
    Makes me nostalgic for my youth with Kodachrome.

• donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,699Member
    Link didn't copy over. Look for it here:

I never really liked the look of the XP2 compared to true b&w films. I always felt that it was a lot softer but I never experimented a lot with it. I never tried the Kodak one.

How did you process the images? I mean, did you get prints from a shop or did you do them by yourself or did you scan the film?
    I got them developed at Costco and ordered prints and scanned those. Would it just be better to get a DVD from them of the scanned negatives? Not too familiar with what are the popular labs that people use, but for the time being, Costco is cheap and good for someone like myself getting the hang of film. I guess I'll shoot with some Tri-X next time.
    safyre:

I think Tri-X is Kodak's prettiest B&W film. It's got a crunchier grain structure than T-Max emulsions (not to mention, C41 B&W films), which I think lack Tri-X' signature crispness. Actually, Tri-X is all I really intend to shoot with my film cameras (I'll leave the color shooting to digital). How large are the files from the Costco scans? I've been processing/proofing my Tri-X at a pro lab (kind of expensive!).
    studio:

Great to know, I will definitely have to get some of that soon. Unfortunately, all the Costco's around where I live no longer process true B&W, only C-41. So I'm going to have to find another place to get B&W's done at. I didn't order the scans for this last one, but I remember them saying that there were around the 3000x2000 pixel size. Can't really argue with the price though, I had those four 36 exposure rolls developed and with 4x6 prints and it cost me a little over 20 bucks.
  • CorrelliCorrelli Posts: 135Member

I got them developed at Costco and ordered prints and scanned those. Would it just be better to get a DVD from them of the scanned negatives? Not too familiar with what are the popular labs that people use, but for the time being, Costco is cheap and good for someone like myself getting the hang of film. I guess I'll shoot with some Tri-X next time.
    I don't know the quality of Costoco (I live in Europe) but they probably have a similar quality as normal labs over here. I always found that the blacks are not really black and the images look kind of flat. As studio said pro labs are very different but expensive. I did most of the b&w stuff myself and this way you have the full control.

You might try to have them scan the negatives and start working from there. It might be worth a try but then you are digital again...
  • KFW1982KFW1982 Posts: 17Member
    I guess I just do everything backwards . . .

I had three digital cameras: a Canon Powershot, a D5100 and a D700 (replaced with my D600), purchased in that order. One might say look at that list and see the evolution of a photographer.

Then, last year, I bought an FE2. I call it "The Humbler." Because if I ever want to reminded just how easy it is to shoot digital, I take out the FE2 for an afternoon and ruin a roll of film.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,287Member
    My dad has a FM2 that he bought in the early 80s with a 50mm 1.2.

I've put 2 rolls of film through and I enjoy the process, but digital is so much more convenient.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • ChuckvChuckv Posts: 8Member
    Chrome "F" body, Black Photomic T body, 24mm /f/2.8, 35mm /2, 85mm f/1.8, 300mm f/4.5...all from the 1960's
    Wow!!! I'd love to see that collection from the 60's?
    Chuck

Nikon Camera's D4, D700, F100 - Nikon Lens 50 1.8, 24-70 2.8, 85 1.4D, 70-200 VR 2.8
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    I suppose what this post from last month means is I have to put all this on a table and photograph them....

Actually, I am here to open more discussion on an F7 which may appear in 2014. And, to see if anyone is shooting film. I do not, but I am told some of the photo classes at the local colleges do teach developing, etc.

Let me see if I can get the old gear together and snap a shot for PAD....
    Msmoto, mod
  • mauryrmauryr Posts: 5Member
    2 F,2 F2as,F3HP,F4,F5,F6, Leica R6,M3,M4,M5,M6,M7 and hasselblads
  • framerframer Posts: 491Member
    F7 sorry, I don't see it. I got an F6 and only put a few rolls of B&W through it per year. With so many great larger format cameras you can pick up for pennies on the dollar I would not be interested. I really miss the Mamiya 7 I used for 10 years. I'm considering selling the F6 and getting another Maimia 7. Of all the photos I've framed hanging on my wall and sold in my store, more than 50% came from the Mamiya 7. Size matters with film. I would still have an F4 if I wanted to do some 35mm film in the future.

framer
  • scoobysmakscoobysmak Posts: 215Member
    I admit I don't see an F7 in the works but I have been wrong before. I currently have an F5 but thinking about picking up an FM3a. I would like something that is electronic but in a really bad situation doesn't depend on any type battery. I see myself hauling this around and when I get to a location pull it out of the bag first and get a shot or two in full manual mode. I believe this will help me concentrate on what I am doing not just firing away and comming back with 400 junk pics and 3 good ones.
  • macsavageg4macsavageg4 Posts: 75Member
    Looks like I am a just crazy. I picked up another F100 to fix up once I get the battery holder for it I'll be able to begin the task of sorting out whatever all is wrong with it. Supposedly just the meter switch but we shall see. Unfortunately the F100 I mentioned earlier in this thread is still in the shop waiting for the repair to be completed.
  • blublu Posts: 2Member
    I still shoot film once in a while but haven't lately because the unreliable, incompetent, and careless of the local processing sources. I don't really want to send them out at this point. I love it every time I went out chasing my 2 year-old Nephew and trying to focus. 24-roll, 22 out of focus, LOL.
  • neversinkneversink Posts: 6Member
    1. Exacta vxiia First camera given to me by my dad when I was 12 years old in 1964. The original SLR. It came with three Zeiss lenses, a bunch of close up filters and extension tubes, different focusing screens, a waist level finder, as well as the conventional prism. Left handed shutter, internal knife to cut unexposed portion of 35 mm film, shutter had to be cocked for mirror to return, lenses were not automatic (as you stopped the lens down the viewfinder got darker, so you had to focus on the widest aperture and then stop down. I loved this camera. Still have it, though only can find the 50mm lens. The 35and 250 are MIA. This camera had speeds from B, 30 seconds to 1/1000 and was made in 1951 or 1952. Way ahead of its time. Oh yes, it was made in Dresden, Germany.
    2. Leica iiif and iiig with visoflex and numerous screw in lenses. Many were stolen including the iiig. Still have the beat up iiif which I used a lot.
    3. Nikon Ftn (stolen and looking to replace) I saved up every penny I had and even sold my guitar to buy this camera. I got a 24mm f2.8 , a 35m F2, a 50 mm f 1.4, a105 mm f2.5 and a 135mm with this baby.
    4. Nikkormat sold to a student at ICP
    5. Nikon F2 three bodies - all beat up and retired -- with motor drives -- These were my work horses along with....
    6. Nikon F3 with motor drive
    7. Leica M6
    8. Mamiya RZ Pro - I used it but it was heavy. Beautiful 6X7 images.
    9. Hasselbload 501cm w/ 40, 50, 80, 150, 250 mm lenses.... lots of backs, close up bellows..... My medium format workhorse... Unlike my beat up Nikon F2 and F3 bodies, this body is in excellent shape. I loved using this MF camera until I purchased the....
    10. Mamiya 7ii The most incredible camera i have ever owned. A giant Leica and so sweet.
    11. Omega-Toyo 4X5 view camera

So, off hand, that is about it for film cameras that I have owned. Oh yes, I forgot about the Leica CL, which I bought used and sold soon after purchasing it. Also had a Plaubel Makina with a fixed Nikon lens which I sold shortly after purchasing.

Digital cameras I use are D800 and D4 with a D700 as back up.

I love film. I love my darkroom which is in storage. My favorite films were TriX, T-Max 100 and Panatonic X (I was devastated when this film was dicontinued.)
    I used all sorts of color negative and slide film from Kodak and Fuji. Every now and then I load up either the Leica M6, Nikon F3, or Mamiya 7ii. Those were the days. And yes, I really liked the honesty of Kodachrome and was similarly devastated when Kodachrome 25 was discontinued. How sad that we don't have Kodachrome anymore.

from "Kodachrome," by Paul Simon

When I think back
    On all the crap I learned in high school
    It's a wonder
    I can think at all
    And though my lack of education
    Hasn't hurt me none
    I can read the writing on the wall

Kodachrome
    You give us those nice bright colors
    You give us the greens of summers
    Makes you think all the world's a sunny day, oh yeah!
    I got a Nikon camera
    I love to take a photograph
    So Mama, don't take my Kodachrome away
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited March 2013
    Just for you, Neversink

Nikon F 1960's

I think that is my 35mm f/2 on it.
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod