Nikon Film Cameras anyone?

12346»

Comments

• vtc2002vtc2002 Posts: 364Member
    edited January 2017
    I can not take credit for running it just a small piece of the pie. It's like any other program you need a diverse group of talent to make it successful.
    Post edited by vtc2002 on
  • SnowleopardSnowleopard Posts: 244Member
    I thought about buying an F100, F5 and or a F6, but currently the only film camera I use is my Mamiya RZ Pro IID and as Nikon increases the price of their glass to crazy prices, that will convert to a Phase One XF.
    ||COOLPIX 5000|●|D70|●|D700|●|D810|●|AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D|●|AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D|●|AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G|●|AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D|●|AF-S Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED (Silver)|●|AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III|●|PB-6 Bellows|●|EL-NIKKOR 50mm f/2.8||
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,287Member
    edited March 2017
    Bump.

I never realized how hated the Nikon F4 was. Cool to get their perspective of this classic camera though.

Also, going by what Chris Niccolls was saying, he's much older than he looks.

#AsianGenes
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • starralaznstarralazn Posts: 204Member
    interesting that you posted that, Kai, formerly from DigitalRev, did a review with it lol

edited March 2017
    Haha, I saw, everybody is making videos on the F4.

Just curious, is the F4 compatible with the latest AF-S lenses? He mentioned that aperture control might be tough with AF-S lenses, but I was wondering if AF still worked, or if it was MF only.

Considering how big the F5 is and how expensive the F6 is, and how analog the F3 is, the F4 might be the best compromise between size, weight, compatibility and expense.
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • starralaznstarralazn Posts: 204Member
    just from looking at videos and pictures, the F4 seems like a Df...
    i'm happy with an F100 for film :smile:
    The F100 would be a good alternative too, I forgot about that option too.
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    vtc2002: I want to say thank you for your response. Nikon Rumors has had almost all positive stuff and your explanation and defense is excellent. I think almost every element of my outlook is based on my discomfort with the film era for me from a monetary and a time standpoint. I have a close connection with furniture companies and almost everyone in that industry has "moved on". There are many great photographers who for various reasons didn't have to luxury or circumstances to get any formal education.As a former educator I myself am not impressed by education at all! Maybe even the EXACT opposite. My professors in University were more critical of education than I am. However....education gained by any means is significantly better than ignorance.
    Bump.

I've read about the Nikon Pronea, but this is the first time I've seen anyone review the camera briefly.

Wonder if any members here ever bought an APS film camera.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikon#Pronea
  • CaMeRaQuEsTCaMeRaQuEsT Posts: 357Member
    When I was about 10 I bit the Disc system marketing whole, hook, line and sinker, bought a Kodak Disc 3000 and immediately found that camera, film and development were more expensive than what I had with my bare bones, magic cube firing little Fuji 110 black plastic box, with significantly worse IQ, a huge size penalty and the additional cost of expensive 9V alkaline batteries that didn't last more than a couple discs. Same with APS: in addition to 135 film and development being cheaper, my Olympus Stylus Epic, for example, was smaller, cheaper, gave hugely better IQ and was weather sealed to booth, compared to all APS compacts available back then. Fool me once Kodak, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me!

That Oly was my backup to my trusty surplus F3 deemed too expensive to repair by Uncle Sam and scrapped by the DRMS (it only needed a $50 CLA to get back to 100% functionality, and now, more than 25 years later, it's still going strong), coupled to a used E series 35mm lens and later a brand spanking new Sunpak 444 TTL flash with its proprietary F3 foot adapter I bought at B&H on my first trip to NY that cost me more than the F3, its CLA and the 35mm lens combined! Later, I bought an F2 Photomic and then an "Apollo" F Photomic FTNn, neither of which meter as well as my F3 but both give much more interesting sensory experiences when shot with than my F3: the F reeks of brutal, stout mechanical craftsmanship, the F2 feels like precision nirvana, while the F3 just shouts cost cutting and yet is probably the most survivable of them 3.

• mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    NSXTypeR said:

Bump.

I've read about the Nikon Pronea, but this is the first time I've seen anyone review the camera briefly.

Wonder if any members here ever bought an APS film camera.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikon#Pronea

A family friend had a Canon Rebel IX. It was actually a pretty nice little camera - very well made. And looked cool. I used to borrow it on occasion and it was the first SLR I used. But when I bought my own camera it was normal 35mm. It still wasn't a great camera (Nikon N60), but at least it wasn't APS.

I worked at Kodak for a while in the late 90's and one of the people in my department developed the magnetic back coating that they used for data storage on the APS system. Which I thought was pretty cool.
  • framerframer Posts: 491Member
    NSXTypeR said:

Haha, I saw, everybody is making videos on the F4.

Just curious, is the F4 compatible with the latest AF-S lenses? He mentioned that aperture control might be tough with AF-S lenses, but I was wondering if AF still worked, or if it was MF only.

Considering how big the F5 is and how expensive the F6 is, and how analog the F3 is, the F4 might be the best compromise between size, weight, compatibility and expense.

Works perfect with NAi Ai Ais AF & AF-s. Biggest draw back is single sensor in the center. Big plus is you can get a F4 without the extra battery holder for a light weight version. The AF speed & FPS slow down in the F4 vs F4s versions.

I'd go the the F5 as the bargain with the most bang for the buck but I told the wife to bury my F4s with me.

framer