D7100 Shutter Questions

MrDarknessMrDarkness Posts: 6Member
edited December 2013 in Nikon DSLR cameras
Quick history: My Nikon brand loyalty is decades old—very much unlike my familiarity with digital photography, into which I had to be dragged kicking and screaming.

Now that I'm here, I'm slowly, incrementally bonding with my D7100. I have more questions than bandwidth would permit, but here's just one amongst: What type of shutter does this guy have?

I'm old enough to remember focal plane shutters, and the ethic of cocking them only immediately previous to releasing them—and the harm realized if you failed to do so.

So what's up with the D7100's peeper? Is it a spring-loaded mechanism like SLRs of old? Is it cocked between exposures? Will it disbehave if left in such a state? Need I worry, or just give more attention to my teeth immersed in Efferdent?

Post edited by Msmoto on
Nikon D7100, 70-300 F4.5-5.6 ED, 10-24 F3.5-4.5 ED

Comments

• rbrylawskirbrylawski Posts: 222Member
    I'm sure it's spring loaded, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's rated to 150,000 actuations. So yes, giving more attention to your teeth in Efferdent is probably more important.
    Nikon D7100; AF-S DX 35mm f1.8; AF-S DX Macro 40mm f2.8; AF-S DX 18-200mm VRII; SB-700 Speed Light and a bunch of other not very noteworthy stuff......
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    I have a really old Nikon ('60s vintage just like me) and I only found out about the "no pre-cocking" thing last year :-O I have left the thing cocked for days and weeks on end. I've run probably 1000' of film (that's 6000 frames) myself, but I acquired the camera second hand (really 10th hand, but that's a bit off topic ;) So it could have had as many as 60K frames before I got ahold of it. Shutter still works great! (had it seviced a few years ago and came back with a clean bill of health as well.

The mechanical shutter in a DSLR is probably pre-cocked all the time, since there is no mechanical delay when tripping the shutter, but I think Nikon figured out about 30 years ago that the no pre-cocking warning was unnecessary.