D7000+non-cpu lenses=SCENE does not work

nankinanki Posts: 2Member
edited December 2013 in D90/D7x00
Hello everyone,

I have the following problem with my D7000: When I'm using my old,non-cpu lenses, the camera won't let me shoot videos.
I checked the lenses and they are compatible with D7000 - I can take great pictures with these. As soon as I switch to SCENE, the screen (if on) turns black. I saved/registered the lenses with the right info and put the aperture ring to the lowest setting before starting.

Despite a lot of research I can't figure out what's wrong and I seem to be the only one with this problem.

Can anyone help?

Thanks a million!
Post edited by Msmoto on

Comments

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    edited December 2013
    Have you discussed it with your nearest Nikon service centre? I don't have any experience in movie or using old lenses, but that is what I'd do first.

Good luck!
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Send them a message on their Help area and you will get a response. They have helped me confirm a problem with one of my primes a few years ago.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Scene modes will not work with non-CPU lenses, regardless of whether or not the aperture and focal length are saved. Please read the section on non-CPU lenses in your user manual for more information on why.

As for why the screen goes back in video mode, that I do not understand.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    Yeah, I just tried my D7000 with a 50mm 1.2, it does not work. It makes sense though, I would imagine some scene modes need control of aperture and it obviously won't have control of it if it's a manual lens.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • kyoshinikonkyoshinikon Posts: 411Member
    I believe it is just like the pro bodies. Apeture priority and manual
    “To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It’s at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.” - Bresson
  • nankinanki Posts: 2Member
    Hi everyone,

First of all thank you for your comments.
    I wasn't able to contact Nikon about my problem yet.

But I found out that it SHOULD bloody work. Here's a girl using non-cpu lenses in SCENE mode (Video mode) - and it works fine:

Will post here as soon as I find out why my D7000 doesn't want to film with my beautiful old lenses... :)

Thank you all!
  • AdeAde Posts: 1,071Member
    I'm confused… are you asking about SCENE mode or VIDEO mode? They are not the same.

The lady in the video above is shooting video in M (Manual) mode, not SCENE mode.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    @Ade: Maybe it isn't you who is confused...

@nanki: You may want to revisit your op and think about the wording Also, you said you have done a lot of research on the subject (lot means hours usually), but not contacted Nikon yet (few minutes) - is this the best approach do you think?
    Always learning.