Nikon D4 for $3500 w/o Box & Warranty

bleephotographybleephotography Posts: 3Member
edited January 2014 in Nikon Deals
So I've just found an AMAZING deal for a Nikon D4 on Craigslist and I need some advice. This guy is selling his for only $3500 like new with strap, nothing else...no box, no warranty card, manuals, etc. He said that he purchased it from a friend of a friend who had had his camera bag stolen while he was using the D4, thus why the accessories are MIA. He said he got it for a great deal and he's just looking to get back what he paid for it so he can buy studio equipment, which I have and he's willing to barter for.

What do you think? How truthful does that sound...could it possibly be stolen and, if so, are there any detriments to buying a stolen camera? Can it still be registered for warranty if the serial is on the bottom like many of Nikon's cameras? I spoke with him on the phone and he sounded completely legit, but I'm still hesitant for the obvious reasons.

Comments

• mikepmikep Posts: 280Member

no box, no warranty card, manuals, etc. He said that he purchased it from a friend of a friend who had had his camera bag stolen while he was using the D4, thus why the accessories are MIA. He said he got it for a great deal and he's just looking to get back what he paid for it so he can buy studio
    blah blah blah

if i was selling a D4, id say "D4 for sale, it works, its new, $3500, paypal only"

no extra information is needed.

bag was stolen, blah blah, warranty card, blah blah, "i only want to get my money back ...." blah blah. why all the spiel ?

so this person has their camera bag stolen, and as a result now they need to sell their D4 ? ..... why? why does a camera bag theft force sale of a D4?

do you need a d4? you can get a new camera for $1000 with warranty and charger and everything

in summary, i think you should buy it, and show us pics on PAD

• WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    If it is stolen, you don't own it. If the original owner identifies it, he/she gets his/her camera back and you get nothing.

And a reasonable person would be suspicious that it was stolen. Not sure if you would actually go to jail, but you may technically turn yourself into a criminal.

If it was me, I would call the police and ask them if they want to participate in a bust.
  • AdeAde Posts: 1,071Member

What do you think? How truthful does that sound...could it possibly be stolen and, if so, are there any detriments to buying a stolen camera? Can it still be registered for warranty if the serial is on the bottom like many of Nikon's cameras?
    There are various databases online listing stolen camera serial numbers. The least you could do is to check.

It also means that if the camera was stolen, some day someone might trace the camera back to you through EXIF data of any pictures you post online, someone doing a serial number check during warranty / repair service, etc.

Receiving or possessing stolen goods is a crime in most jurisdictions. And since the D4 has a nominal value of over $5000, that crosses the threshold of being a felony instead of a misdemeanor.

In many jurisdictions, you don't even have to know that the camera was stolen. I.e., you can be charged with felony receiving stolen goods if you had "reasonable cause to believe" that the D4 was stolen.
  • DrugstoreDrugstore Posts: 1Member
    Why do you ask? Of course it's stolen. Never buy a camera without papers. Anybody here who will carry box, warranty card etc. in their camera bag so it's stolen with the bag?
  • bleephotographybleephotography Posts: 3Member

if i was selling a D4, id say "D4 for sale, it works, its new, $3500, paypal only"

no extra information is needed.

bag was stolen, blah blah, warranty card, blah blah, "i only want to get my money back ...." blah blah. why all the spiel ?

so this person has their camera bag stolen, and as a result now they need to sell their D4 ? ..... why? why does a camera bag theft force sale of a D4?

do you need a d4? you can get a new camera for $1000 with warranty and charger and everything

in summary, i think you should buy it, and show us pics on PAD
    In the Craigslist listing he merely mentioned its condition, price and his phone number. After calling him, I asked him the typical questions one would ask when buying a used camera - to which he responded as I described. He basically said that he got it for a great deal from a friend of a friend, but that it is more camera than he needs, therefore he is just trying to recover the costs he paid. I have his phone number, his name, his email address and even his place of work. What I think I'll do is ask for a picture of the bottom so that I can try to trace the serial number. If it comes back clean, it might be worth pursuing. What do you think?
  • henrik1963henrik1963 Posts: 567Member
    I don't keep boxes - I buy way to many things to keep all the boxes. But I try to keep papers. But hey sometimes things get lost. My D700 came without papers and boxes.

Try to meet him in his house - Try out the camera - Ask yourself if you trust him - most people are honest.

How much more do you have to pay to get a D4 with all the papers? Is it worth the risk - however small that may be?

Best of luck
  • shawninoshawnino Posts: 453Member
    I wouldn't meet him in his house, Henrik. Not unless I brought a few mates.
  • kyoshinikonkyoshinikon Posts: 411Member
    edited January 2014
    The explanation is a bit long. I always like to know why the gear is being sold but a tirade makes me suspicious. While the price is great I am suspicious and wouldn't go for it. A D4 purchased from a friend etc? Pro cameras rarely have more than 2 owners in a 2-less year period... No accessories from camera bag theft? How about a box or receipt? It it was a D700 or D3s I maybe wouldn't be as wary but the D4 is relatively new. It is around 30% off so it is a great deal but I am a bit suspicious.

DO NOT meet him at his house. Meet him in a public place like starbucks. For your safety as well as an indicator that the camera isnt stolen.
    Post edited by kyoshinikon on
    “To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It’s at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.” - Bresson
  • bleephotographybleephotography Posts: 3Member
    Good advice, thanks. He's willing to trade a bunch of my studio equipment/accessories + $ difference, which is less worrisome considering I don't have to carry so much cash. Although it may be stolen, I still think it's worth checking further into, especially at that price.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Of course meet him in a public place and take a friend. Your friend could be a detective or a real friend.

A true D4 owner will have gone into the menus and set the comment and Copyright field. Bet the photographers name and perhaps his phone number is embeded into these fields. When you meet the guy go direct to these menus and check to see what has been set-up. Don't tell the guy before he gets there you will be checking these fields. If there is a name and/or phone number then I would call that number and ask if he owned a D4 and if he is selling the camera..

This entire description rings of a stolen D4. I would talk to the local police before meeting this guy. Remember, if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, it probably is a duck. Or.....If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is!!!!!!!!!!
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited January 2014
    @bleephotography: If it smells to good to be true, it is because it is not. It is stolen goods...and deep down you know it. Walk away, don't become a sucker, because there is one being born every day.

Do what is right....

Topic Closed.
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
This discussion has been closed.