Critique My Image

Comments

• calengorcalengor Posts: 277Member
    I did some more work on the image based on @heartyfisher's crop suggestion plus @Rx4Photo's suggestions.:

I brightened her eyes, darkened the lips and eyebrows a bit, and worked on her skin some more in the low frequency layer. I also removed the lettering from the t-shirt. Thank you guys for your critiques, and if anyone has any more, I'd be glad to hear them. I'm trying to take more portraits and use photoshop, ad I have a feeling I'll be using this thread more often.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    My first atempt at posting my first picture

image06-01-14_011

Nikon D7000 / 50mm F/1.8G
    ISO 100, F2.5, 1/500
    Msmoto, mod
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    @jturrici its nice and light even the tilted horizon is nice.. the highlights may be a bit blown though.
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member

D800 80 -400 @ 400mm
    ISO 1250 800 @ f11
    I guess a higher shutter speed but how high ?
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,692Member
    I am thinking differently: a slower shutter speed to blur the wings and water but keep the head sharp would be more "artsy" and more interesting. 1/250th of a second would be my guess. But I don't know.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited July 2015
    A slower shutter speed would simply result in a loss of detail, I know from experience with this kind of shot. I suspect that a speed of 1/1000 or higher would help a little, if your goal is to make water drops and wings frozen in place and tack sharp. To be honest I don't see anything wrong with the shutter speed chosen here.

A polarizing filter would help reduce the glare on the water drops and in the background plants. Of course that could also be fixed in post.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,744Member
    edited July 2015
    @jturrici its nice and light even the tilted horizon is nice.. the highlights may be a bit blown though.
    I don't know. I think it looks great. Below is my deliberate attempt to do just what jturrici has done. You will notice that I shaded the models to blow out the background even more.

I would appreciate any feedback that anybody might have on this image.

_DSC4494-Edit.jpg
    Post edited by WestEndFoto on
  • JonMcGuffinJonMcGuffin Posts: 312Member
    @westendfoto - Not sure I feel qualified to critique but nonetheless, here are my thoughts...

- remove black stick camera left in sky.
    - clome rest of tree background over to the left to keep background consistent

As far as what I like... A lot. Models are lit/shaded very well. Great expression. Nice processing
    Yeah, that black stick is kinda ugly. I should do that. For your second point, I am going to need to work on my Photoshop skills some. I am not that good with Photoshop yet.
  • starralaznstarralazn Posts: 204Member
    got back from a convention. normally happy with the shots that i get, but i figured i could always get some feed back on portraits that i take. i'm pretty thin skinned, but the only way to get better is to have the errors pointed out, no?

Please tell me what I could do better.

Lolita!
    D800, 58mm 1.4 @ F/1.4
    edited July 2015
    Hi, I just lost a bunch of comments due to my access problems so please forgive me if I am a bit terse ..
    1) blue/red/white distracting on the left and doesn't balance with blank space on right..
    2) blue/red/white may be nice as it repeats in the colours in her hair.. makes her part of the background.. maybe recompose?
    3) Eyes are nice .. and are clearly the main subject of the image.. however the main subject is usually best not in the centre of the frame .. If possible include more of the torso?

A tight crop may solve all the points above ..
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    @starralazn
    Nice shot. my only suggestion would have been to try and get a highlight in the eyes
    only other suggesting would be to crop to 1x1 or 5x4
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator

Please tell me what I could do better.

Rule number one - check your background. It saves you hours of post or even tossing an otherwise good shot.
    Always learning.
    I also wonder what this could have looked like in a portrait orientation. Agree on the background comments. Getting that right is huge.
    @heartyfisher, @sevencrossing, @spraynpray, @WestEndFoto
    thanks for the comments. i have to keep that in mind next time, how the background meshes with the foreground/subject.
    if i can explain the image a little, the left side is an escalator with people on it, right side is a pillar.
    but that shouldn't really need to be explained, i just need to take more time before i shoot :) (most times i'm only focused on the subject, and the background's a gamble..)
    I find that subjects are usually cooperative at moving around if you let them know the picture will turn out better. You just need to be comfortable giving direction.
    edited July 2015

@heartyfisher
    interesting crop! i tend to shy away from cropping hair(anything a part of the person i guess), but it works well in this image!
    edited July 2015
    PS: LOL that D800 file has so much cropping room !! I can see the attraction of the D8xx series ! PPS : Lovely lense !!

lol, was just borrowing the lens for the week, might have to buy it :)
    also, cropping at low ISOs is a dream :D
    edited July 2015
    4 shot bracket .. hand merged I think I need more practice... multiple layers and masking ...

D7000 12-24 nikkor

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited July 2015
    @heartyfisher

I prefer more shadow detail....but, it is really about exactly that....what we like. In looking at another's image, or in producing our own images, maybe the critical issue for each of us is to establish a basis for critical viewing our own photos, editing same. If I had access to the original I would love to play with it.

Oh, maybe that is what this thread is about...LOL

Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
    edited July 2015
    Had another go.. figured out a way to do it in a more automated way ( Auto align & average merge ) .. and Auto masking .. learning new things is fun !! much faster to process and cleaner .. good ol' GIMP + G'MIC plugin.

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Not bad, all you need to do is bring in some clouds from another shot to make the sky somewhat interesting.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • JonMcGuffinJonMcGuffin Posts: 312Member
    had a quick edit crop hope you dont mind ..
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ysgioptyt4l6849/19713643061_86bc3ce441_o_m2.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ufrgw361wcxxny2/19713643061_86bc3ce441_o_m.jpg?dl=0
    cant post the image due to my access issues :-(
    The crop on this in my mind is much improved. It was a good shot to start, the crop enhanced it a ton but I do detect a tad bit of softness there for some reason.