Fish-eye for FX (D800)

KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
edited February 2014 in Nikon DSLR cameras
As I see the pics Msmoto has posted using her Fish-eye, I tried to get the effect from my 14-24mm, but alas, you obviously need a proper fish-eye for that. Especially the circular fish-eye pictures really intrigue me, and I think it is an awesome representation of objects - especially landscapes/mountains.

So, I looked around for standard fish-eye lenses, and there aren't that many. I have narrowed down the list to a few (from looking at reviews and pictures posted on 500px), and would like some feedback from you trusted folks:)

My shortlist;
- Nikon 16mm f/2.8D
- Sigma 4.5mm f/2.8
- Sigma 8mm f/3.5

I know the Nikon 10.5mm can be modified, but I am not that handy... And, I see that the Sigma 4.5mm only works on the D800 in DX Crop Mode...
Post edited by Killerbob on

Comments

• KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    Really liking what I see from the Sigma 8mm, especially the fact it is a circular fisheye.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited February 2014
    I believe Msmoto is using a modified 10mm F2.8 DX lens (cut the hood off to use on FX).

Samyang also makes a 8mm fisheye, but I think it is also a APS-C lens.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    The 10.5 2.8 DX will produce great image in DX mode on your D800.
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
    edited February 2014
    I know the Nikon 10.5mm would satisfy my needs, but I am just not that handy - unfortunately... I wonder if anyone sells it it already modified?
  • framerframer Posts: 491Member
    I prefer the FF fisheye and have an old 16 f3.5 AI'd version. I got it in the 70's and still own it. Don't overlook the manual version you really don't need AF with that much DOF of the 16mm @f11. The AF 16mm2.8 is also a great lens.

framer
  • macsavageg4macsavageg4 Posts: 75Member
    I have a handful of fisheyes and I'll let you know my view on them. First one I picked up was a Sigma-XQ Fisheye Filtermatic 16mm F/2.8. It is an older design that is decent but it has some bad color related problems. the first copy I picked up got broken. So after getting hooked on fisheyes in general I went out and picked up a Sigma fisheye 15mm f/2.8, a much smaller and lighter lens. The 15mm is a much better lens and my favorite of the full frame fisheyes that I have. I also have a Rokinon 8mm f/3.5 for the DX cameras. It is a decent lens but you can't get point blank with the lens on a subject, otherwise it is nice. On full frame it is comical since you mostly get the shade in the frame. I keep considering getting an AF fisheye but mid summer I finally figured out what was causing me to fowl up shots with the manual focus fisheyes and now getting AF isn't as big of a deal. Well that is my experiences with the fisheyes I have at this point.
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    I have the Sigma 4.5 2.8 Circular Fisheye lens , I use it on a FX camera, Mainly used to enhance curves on buildings and cars,In a year I may use it probably 5 times, It can do things no other lens can do but as limited uses,You have to get use to it, when standing you have to avoid getting your feet in the shot! but as stated can produce interesting angles and compositions.
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited February 2014
    I have the Nikon 16mm f/2.8D

Beware it is not a true fish eye, It gives a distorted 180 degree angle of view
    from corner to corner NOT across the width of the frame
    You can remove the distortion in LR but you will reduce the angle of view
    If you remove the distortion in LR, you can make a nice ultra wide angle shot by stitching in CS5
    This can be useful if doing a pano, when you cant use a tripod eg when leaning out of a balcony and you want to include the ground below you
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • DenverShooterDenverShooter Posts: 416Member
    I know the Nikon 10.5mm would satisfy my needs, but I am just not that handy - unfortunately... I wonder if anyone sells it it already modified?
    You don't need to modify it. When you use it on a D800 it will automatically switch to DX mode and work just fine. I use mine that way and it works. I use Fisheye Hemi plug in to correct it in Aperture.

Denver Shooter
    edited February 2014
    But leaving the hood on the Nikon 10.5mm, wouldn't that mean less viewable angle? I.e. in DX Crop, I didn't think it would deliver 180+ degrees.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited February 2014
    Please remember I grew up in the days of television being introduced and the strange format I have achieved with the DX fisheye on FX is what the early TV's looked like.

Here is the thread re: the mod, and I will have to say, I am not really fond of the effect of the lens in DX mode.
    http://nikonrumors.com/forum/topic.php?id=5507

Here is one which must have the modification, but also has the pseudoeffect (if that is a word) of an architectural shot.

Milwaukee Buildings

Big: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fantinesfotos/7183127709/sizes/o/

The 10.5mm Nikkor is a very sharp lens. And in DX mode the 180° is diagonal. By removing the hood, very carefully, one allows the full circle of the lens to be seen on FX. Also, the camera body must be set so as to not change the imager area to DX when one attaches a DX lens. I think this is on p. 79 of the D800 manual.
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
    @Msmoto; thanks for the links and info. I don't think I will hazard the modification myself. I reckon I could, but as I can get a Sigma 8mm f/3.5 EX DG for about the same money, I think I'll opt for the FF fisheye.

As far as I can find in reviews and comments the Sigma is a decent piece of glass as well, perhaps even a bit more sharp in the details...

I just wish someone in here had that particular lens. The Sigma fisheyes have a good reputation, and the 8mm is probably no different.
  • TaoTeJaredTaoTeJared Posts: 1,306Member
    I'm not a huge fan of circular fish-eyes, but just to fit the topic "Fish-eye for FX (D800)" Sigma also has a 15mm 2.8 fisheye that I use. I have been surprised to see how many pros seem to have it. Nothing real special about it but it works well.
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
    After doing a bit of more research, I realise the Sigma 15mm is a diagonal Fisheye, and I am really going for the circular. The 15mm does have a lot of great reviews though, and it seems to out-compete the Nikon 16mm in the details...
  • TaoTeJaredTaoTeJared Posts: 1,306Member
    Yep, that is why I said fitting the topic of fish-eye for FX - it was the only fish-eye that been not been mentioned. There is also a Tokina 10-17mm fish-eye as well. I have no clue if that is a circular to diagonal or not though.

D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    Try the FC-E9 huge 4 inch dia lens will go on DX with about 23mm and FX with 35 so a suitable zoom enables you to match the circle to the format..step up rings go stright on the back to match your filter size no tubes etc required...cheap on e bay ..check it out at
    http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/User-Guide/lens/5700-lens-fish.html
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    The conversion, cutting the lens hood off, is not that difficult…. But requires care….kinda like doing your nails. :))
    Msmoto, mod
    Comparing the Sigma 8mm and the Nikon 10.5mm seems they are equally nice. The price I am paying is about the same, and with the hassle of the Nikon conversion I think the Sigma is it.