Anybody been to Grenada?

framerframer Posts: 491Member
edited March 2014 in Nikon DSLR cameras
Will I have any issues showing up with several bags of camera gear? I've heard some Caribbean islands can give you a hard time if they think you are a professional even if you are not.

framer

Comments

• framerframer Posts: 491Member
    I had no issues and should have taken my 400...

Have fun.
  • proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    edited June 2014
    Have cleared customs in Panama, Ecuador, and Peru with no issues. Certain places, like Machu Picchu, have a "professional photographer's tax," the enforcement of which seems to be pretty random. I've heard that tripods trigger it. I did once take a bunch of gear to the Galapagos Islands (D90, 12-24, 18-200, 105, 80-400) and the customs agent asked me if I had more than one camera. I said no (which was true) and she shrugged and sent me on my way. Toughest place I ever had with camera gear is entering Israel from Jordan. If the customs agents there had known how to disassemble my 24-70 and 17-35 they would have. As it was they x-rayed each separately and took the time to remove both the lens and end caps in order to peer through to make sure I wasn't using the lenses to smuggle explosives.
    Post edited by proudgeek on
  • NikonhotepNikonhotep Posts: 25Member
    A friend of mine was there just a couple of weeks ago for bird photography. He traveled with quite a bit of camera gear and reported no problems of that sort to me.
  • NikonhotepNikonhotep Posts: 25Member
    (Whoops! Just realized how old this thread is. :) )