Zeiss Otus Apo-Planar 85/1.4

JJ_SOJJ_SO Posts: 1,158Member
edited September 2014 in Other Manufacturers
In the blog there's a new post about a new Zeiss, this time an Apo-Planar. I'm sure, it will also be the best of the best of the best of… you get the picture.

And I don't want to question that, I'm just wondering whose idea it was to bring the slowest manual focus lens to the fastest autofocusing (and mediocre resolving) D4s? I see - creating tension in the announcement.

Anyway, it's great to get a lens for the same price the new Sigma 85 art I expect to have. Just, that for this money the Art will bring it's body with (something decent like a D800/D810 :D ( and a bit of AF capabilities. I only find respect in me for Zeiss, being so brave (next state is only something very close to insanity) and try to mark the best position.
Post edited by Golf007sd on
Tagged:

Comments

• kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    Agreed very impressive, but both the Nikon 85mm 1.4 and 1.8 G lenses score a 40mp (DXO ratings) on the D800 meaning they both outperform the resolution of the camera by 4mp! This new Zeiss monster will yield stunning results but for the price and the weight there is no way I would consider purchasing it. The 55 is different because it is significantly better than the alternative 50mm with the exception of the Sigma which comes close. I am sure wedding pros and studio shooters will pick this new Zeiss up though as well as your weekend warriors and gear heads who still believe lenses like this will help them improve [-X
  • SquamishPhotoSquamishPhoto Posts: 608Member
    edited September 2014
    Zeiss would not slap the Otus name on something thats not going to be the top performer in the range. Considering their knack for making genuine apochromatic lenses I can imagine them producing an 85mm with little to no noticeable CA wide open, something that no present day 85mm 1.4 lens can tout - the Nikon being no exception. PitchBlack can certainly attest to that, having had to spend actual hours dealing with removing CA from photos shot wide open with his 85mm. We'll have to wait and see how it tests, but I'd bet it steals the show.
    Post edited by SquamishPhoto on
    Mike
    D3 • D750 • 14-24mm f2.8 • 35mm f1.4A • PC-E 45mm f2.8 • 50mm f1.8G • AF-D 85mm f1.4 • ZF.2 100mm f2 • 200mm f2 VR2
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited September 2014
    Well...well...well...look what Santa has brought to market. This lens, is without question, targeted at the very top of the photography users. I'm sure it will live up to the Otus name. I look forward in reading and seeing some of the images it delivers.

Here is Photography Life thoughts on this lens.

Sample images on Flickr.

My favorite shot. The detail on the eye is stunning.

B&W portrait

Larger image size.
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • JJ_SOJJ_SO Posts: 1,158Member
    edited September 2014
    Yeah, and the jumping dog says "Hey we accidentally get even moving subjects from time to time" I wonder how much pictures they binned for that great looking shot. But what I really would hate to see from competing Sigma Art is that kind of double silhouette the lady in red shows on the background roofs.

Let's see how close the Sigma gets this time and I'm sure some of us will abandon their beloved 85/1.4
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

If they are already selling it at 4500$ - how high is your bid with added AF, @PitchBlack?

Are you happy with the double silhouette in the background?

How big do you expect to be the difference between the new Sigma 85 (to be announced at photokina) and the already announced Otus?
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,701Member
    edited September 2014
    Surely a great optical achievement but also disappointingly limited because it lacks AF. Many photographers today will be unable to rely upon a manual focus 85mm f1.4 lens as their only 85mm prime lens due to less than great eyesight, DSLR focusing screens not optimized for focusing anymore and moving subjects. That being the case, how many photographers will be able to have both an Otus 85 f1.4 and a Nikon 85 f1.4 in their bag? It is had enough being able to afford the Nikon much less an Otus for those occasions when you don't need AF. Thus, I see a limited market for Otus lenses no matter how optically great they may be. If Sigma can produce an AF 85mm f1.4 with 95% of the optical quality for one fourth the price, that will be the lens to buy. Sorry Zeiss, no sale here.
    Post edited by donaldejose on
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    I am in agreement on the issue of autofocus. And, the primary problem may not be our eyes, but the lack of a focus screen which optimizes manual focus. I am wondering if there is any potential for having a special screen in the Nikon pro bodies which would allow easier manual focus.

Zeiss must have something in mind with the manual focus, possibly the issue is in the overall size of the lens already, it might be 20-30% larger with AF…. I have no idea.

Optically, Zeiss is doing what for a long time we many of us were looking for, and that is producing a true apochromatic lens. Michael Erlewine, who used to be on NRF, has as much experience as anyone regarding understanding why a lens is sharp. He was an advocate of the true APO lenses, and I suspect he is very happy with the new Zeiss Otus lineup.

Now, as mentioned above…. the Sigma version at about 1/4 the price.
    Msmoto, mod
    edited September 2014
    I have a focusing screen (split + microprism) for my S5pro (D200 clone) it is great ! I am sure if you can afford an Otus you can afford an old fashion prism focusing screen.
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

I am in agreement on the issue of autofocus. And, the primary problem may not be our eyes, but the lack of a focus screen which optimizes manual focus. I am wondering if there is any potential for having a special screen in the Nikon pro bodies which would allow easier manual focus.
    Well, I have a microprism screen in the d800. I don't use it much - at first it's always a bit disagreeing what the finetuned AF does (and I guess that will remain that way?), so I don't feel comfortable with using it. Plus, the microprisms are only in the center of the screen. Most of the time I'd need it somewhere else. So, it should be a better matte screen. I used to use one with MF and most of the time it worked well although slow.

The D810's LV is a lot better, so that would be my choice for manual focus lenses. But of course, I'm not within the target group of that lens. And a bit afraid: If Zeiss goes Ø86 at the filter, the Sigma version will probably come again over Ø77.

• Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    Meanwhile Dk-17M will help with manual focus. I have done manual focus on the DF and D8xx with great results. But overall AF is what is desired. The results of those Flickr samples are great. Landscaped and portraits. NO wonder I like my 85mm so much.

You sure would think the lack of AF would cripple Zeiss Otus sales. What is wrong with the people at Zeiss? Some German snobbery or a legitimate reason to not clone the Nikon AF system?
    This lens, like its little brother, is for a very select few buyers. Those that have the 55 1.4 version, moreover, other Zeiss lenses, will most likely purchase this new monster or welcome the option. For them, AF is not an issue....and good for them. I wish I could, but for the type of photography I do enjoy doing, AF is a must.

We are fortunate to have a few active members that continue to share with us the great performance of Zeiss manual focus lenses. SquamishPhoto images on PAD taken with his Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 100mm f/2 ZF.2 come to mind and surly attests to the claim that Zeiss makes some of the finest lenses for DSLR's. In fact, I personally feel it would be a unproductive argument to do otherwise.

Lastly, the price: exotic consumer good (i.e. cars, boats, guns, knives, etc...) all come at a higher price. This exotic lenses is no different. Their are many exotic lenses, within the Nikon own line-up, that fit that profile as well (24 1.4G, all prime telephoto lenses). If and when Sigma brings to market an 85 equivalent, then perhaps we will have more bang for our buck.
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
    edited September 2014
    Awhile ago, I gave myself the challenge to shoot a dragonfly in flight. Tried every setting I could think of and every technique. It was only through total manual settings for every parameter was I able to finally get success. You will be surprised how quick and automatic and accurate manual focusing can be with a good focusing screen. (and hours of perseverance and tenacity)

Tamron 200-400 + extention tube + S5pro + Katzeye Focusing screen + off camera flash manual setting, triggered by old fashion slave unit by the on camera flash.

• JonMcGuffinJonMcGuffin Posts: 312Member
    I just don't know how you'd handhold a DSLR body with a lens like that on it and expect to look at a live view screen and be able to turn the lens and then fire the shutter and not expect to get results that are less than ideal.

I actually find I enjoy manual focusing, but it's certainly limited and in PitchBlack's case above - at least in my limited experience - I can almost certainly guarantee that more "keepers" is going to yield a more successful shoot than one great great lens over just a "great" lens.

Of course, this all has to do with what you're shooting. Landscapes or anything off a tripod this is probably not going to be the case. I'd love to have the lens personally, but I'm sure the 85 Art is going to do the same thing they did on the 55 and that is give you 90% of the performance at 25% the cost and throw in AF to boot. That will seal the deal for me and I suspect many many others.
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    For the love of God, just make a lens that autofocuses and I'd sell my left babymaker to buy this.
    What if they make 2?
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    For the love of God, just make a lens that autofocuses and I'd sell my left babymaker to buy this.
    What if they make 2?
    Oh my LoL I think PitchBlack is in trouble. :\"> =))
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    I think working pros are already quite happy with their Nikkors and this release is for pixel peepers, gear hobbyists, and rich "amateurs".
    Well put :)

Matt Granger sure makes me want this lens but I know I would have too much trouble with focus because of my eyes. I am happy he didn't. Maybe it will work for more people than I had thought.
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    edited September 2014
    I am tempted but I already have a nice 85. I have been thinking of the 55, but again find it hard to justify given my current line up of 50s (I am less fussy about quality in this range). However, if Zeiss came out with a 100 or 105, I would be giving it some serious thought.

Then again, for an extra $2,000 I can buy a 200mm f/2.0. I suspect that this will win out in the end, particularly given that it has auto-focus.
    Post edited by WestEndBoy on
    edited September 2014
    @WestEndBoy: I, much like yourself, find myself on the same boat. I'm quite pleased with the performance I'm getting out of my 85 1.8G...given the level of usage I have for it. Those professionals working in a venue that allows them to control the environment, (i.e. studio) will find this new Otus very, very appealing.

Personally, should I decide to part with the amount of capital that it would take to get this lens, I too would consider the 200 F2...for more than one reason.
  • Rx4PhotoRx4Photo Posts: 1,200Member
    Jade Testa will make anyone want to buy that lens ...

The 100mm Zeiss Makro-Planar ZF .2*T is an amazing lens when properly focused. That is the key to happiness with a manually focused lens. Often renders too much detail for portraits. I have practiced fast focusing with it but in a pinch I'd still reach for the 70-200mm VR2 if I need 100mm and need to quickly focus on subjects. The 85 OTUS is one lens that I know that I will absolutely pass on primarily due to price. What particularly intrigues me is the fact that I've heard more than once that the photos with the 85 OTUS have a Medium Format appearance.
    D800 | D7000 | Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 35mm f/1.8G | 85mm f/1.4G | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar ZF.2 | Flash controllers: Phottix Odin TTL

edited September 2014
    Nice samples by Granger .. what an awesome lense ! I dont usually shoot at 85mm and portraits but gosh what an awesome lense ! its gone to the top of the list for me .. the "if I win the lottery" list ;-)

When I shoot portraits with my 85mm f1.8 people complain now about too much detail showing too many skin flaws. It is great the 85 Otus can show so much detail but I wonder how many clients will want to see all the pores, pimples, hairs and wrinkles on their faces? Unfortunately, I don't shoot young models with perfect skin.