One-handed Carrying

KnockKnockKnockKnock Posts: 398Member
edited September 2014 in Nikon DSLR cameras

I noticed @ around 2:00 min. in, they go out of their way to show the D750 being carried without a strap, in one hand. I'm sure it's to emphasize the deeper handgrip.

Do people ever really do this in the real world? Do you? With $3K of gear? In what scenario?

I used to do this in the film days, with my left hand fully around the lens and body. But for some reason, come digital and probably the soap-bar compact days, I always used a wrist-strap at least. And have gone through a couple shoulder straps for my DSLR. It's kind of a handling, carrying, bag question.
D7100, D60, 35mm f/1.8 DX, 50mm f/1.4, 18-105mm DX, 18-55mm VR II, Sony RX-100 ii

Comments

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Well, how about a D4 with 400m f/2.8, carried around by the handgrip….should I not do this? ….. :O
    Msmoto, mod
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    Sorry, but I carry around my D800 in my right hand all the time. Even with big glass on it. I usually have it on my sling, but when I have it on my belt, I never use a wrist strap. That's why I have insurance. It is only plastic, metal and glass... It can be replaced.
  • KnockKnockKnockKnock Posts: 398Member
    @Killerbob Do you get insurance through an independent equipment insurer (like those BH sells), or do you add a rider to your home/renter's policy? Ever had to make claims?
    D7100, D60, 35mm f/1.8 DX, 50mm f/1.4, 18-105mm DX, 18-55mm VR II, Sony RX-100 ii
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,444Member
    edited September 2014
    I hang my D800 and my D7100 from one lug with a 20c fishing swivel ...one on each shoulder ...never had a problem and it does not get twisted up

Tried to post a picture but it wont let me do it ..Strange
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • BesoBeso Posts: 464Member
    I carry my cameras by the handgrip all the time. I use a Herringbone hand strap just to provide a bit of extra assurance but it certainly wouldn't prevent dropping the camera in many situations. I am careful. I also carry by the hand grip with anything up to 200mm. For anything larger I use the lens foot when free carrying the camera/lens. Nikon will advise against carrying cameras with large/heavy lenses by the hand grip as there is potential for mount damage. When traversing uneven or difficult terrain I put my camera in the bag or backpack I am using to shoot out of. Taking a few precautions can save a lot of grief.
    Occasionally a decent image ...
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    I hang my D800 and my D7100 from one lug with a 20c fishing swivel ...one on each shoulder ...never had a problem and it does not get twisted up

Tried to post a picture but it wont let me do it ..Strange
    Post it to Flickr then copy the file and post here.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited September 2014
    Well, how about a D4 with 400m f/2.8, carried around by the handgrip….should I not do this? ….. :O
    I sure wouldn't do that with any lens that requires a tripod foot. The weight and torque could warp the lens mount of the camera or the lens.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    I sure wouldn't do that with any lens that requires a tripod foot. The weight and torque could warp the lens mount of the camera or the lens.
    Meh, that's the real reason for AF fine tune
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    If you work in a studio environment straps do get in the way. especially when using tripods or stands
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    I often use no strap
    The only time I have dropped a camera, is when a strap has broken or come undone
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,692Member
    edited September 2014
    I used to always use the supplied over the head strap, then tried various hang by the side straps like Black Rapid and now I just put the camera/lens in a camera bag, pick it up and carry it with one hand (no straps attached) to shoot and then put it back into the bag (or on a table in the studio). Straps just get in the way unless you have to have two cameras on your person at one time while you are moving around so you can switch between them. In that situation I use sort of a double shoulder holster strap rig which lets me hang one camera on each side of my body so I can access one at a time while the other hangs there sort of like pistnbroke does.
    See
    http://www.amazon.com/OP-TECH-USA-6501082-Neoprene/dp/B004N622H6/ref=sr_1_63?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1410705764&sr=1-63

http://www.amazon.com/OP-TECH-USA-Dual-Harness/dp/B002IUQ180/ref=sr_1_20?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1410705358&sr=1-20

http://www.amazon.com/IMAGE®-Shoulder-Release-Panasonic-Cameras/dp/B00DEAOK6S/ref=sr_1_6?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=undefined&sr=1-6&keywords=camera+slings+for+two+cameras

http://www.amazon.com/Rainbowimaging-Release-Dual-shoulder-Olympus-Panasonic/dp/B00508ZURU/ref=sr_1_1?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1410706110&sr=1-1&keywords=dual+harness+camera+strap

You get the idea. Have not dropped one yet!
    Post edited by donaldejose on
  • dissentdissent Posts: 1,338Member
    I occasionally will carry my DX kit without any kind of strap; usually just with smaller lenses. But usually I attach a Peak Design Cuff as a hand strap, as well as a security strap when the cam is in its normal configuration on Black Rapid shoulder strap. Especially when I'm moving quickly or in any kind of a crowd. I just leave the little Peak Design anchors in one of the little doohickeys where the neck strap normally goes, so hook up to the strap is easy.
    - Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]
  • HvalHval Posts: 110Member
    I tend to use Blackrapid straps, but still quite often walk around with a camera in my right hand.

Cheers,

Hval

Owner of an extremely high quality Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    edited September 2014
    I use the nikon branded strap that comes with the camera in three modes:
    Transport - around neck
    Prepare to shoot - over shoulder
    Shooting - single wrap/twist around forearm
    Post edited by Ironheart on
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    edited September 2014
    @Killerbob Do you get insurance through an independent equipment insurer (like those BH sells), or do you add a rider to your home/renter's policy? Ever had to make claims?
    I am able to add "idiots insurance" onto my home policy, which covers any accidental and instantaneous damage. I have had to make two claims; I tipped over a vase with water and it ended up inside my television - covered, and I dropped an Apple monitor onto the floor - covered. I have a deductible of USD200, but that's well worth it.
    Post edited by Killerbob on
  • sidewayssideways Posts: 54Member
    All the time ... around cities, on walks, even scrambling up trails swapping it between hands if need be.

I took the neck strap off my 800 after it caught on the edge of a desk one day as I picked up the camera - it caused me to drop that $5,000 worth of gear straight onto the floor !

If I'm toting the 70-200 around for long, I often rotate the tripod collar and use the foot as a top handle. It balances perfectly just as it's supposed to.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I do if I am using a tripod and need to do a quick bit of improv, but I feel really exposed like driving without seatbelts on.
    Always learning.
  • HipShotHipShot Posts: 528Member
    I like my BlackRapid strap, but now I always check that the threaded lock collar that holds the clip closed is tight. My camera came off my strap once because the lock collar wasn't tightened, and the clip came open as the camera sat in my lap. When I stood up, the camera slipped off the clip and hit the ground. Barely a scratch on the camera or the lens, as the brunt of the impact was absorbed by the lens hood I had sitting reversed on the lens.

Now all weak links between my camera and me are first on my checklist.