Shooting at a 5:2 ratio

sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
edited September 2014 in Nikon DSLR cameras
I need to take some shots which, when cropped, will end up with ratio of 5: 2
They are for the top of the home page, of a web site
Any tips on visualizing the results, when look through the viewfinder
In the good old days, you maked the ground glass screen of your view camera with a chinagraph
I will be using a D800 and the 16 -35

Post edited by sevencrossing on

Comments

• Bokeh_HunterBokeh_Hunter Posts: 234Member
    Just focus on the middle third of the viewfinder. It might help to put your camera into a 5/4 crop which will change the framing.
    •Formerly TTJ•
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    edited September 2014
    Use liveview and put some blue painting tape (because it comes off easily) over the LCD to mask it to a 5:2 ratio?
    Post edited by donaldejose on
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited September 2014
    Use liveview and put some blue painting tape (because it comes off easily) over the LCD to mask it to a 5:2 radio?
    Brill this why I love NRF

Post edited by sevencrossing on
    We are all here to help each other and I have received help many times. Shooting for common internet use ratios should be something we all will be doing more of in the future. Perhaps soon new bodies will include internal masks for "facebook profile photo" and "facebook page banner."
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    The web master I work for, prefers a full frame 3x2 uncropped hi res jpeg but it would be nice to have an adjustable banner view . The facebook profile photo is square or nearly square, I don't need a mask for that
  • wmscyclonewmscyclone Posts: 56Member
    edited September 2014
    I downloaded an image of the D800 viewfinder and pasted it into powerpoint, made a 2x5 rectangle, then shrunk the rectangle to fit the viewfinder image while constraining its dimensions:

Looks like if you turn on the viewfinder grid it's just inside the top and bottom horizontal lines. Looks to be about the same gridlines on D600/D610 as well.
    Post edited by wmscyclone on
    D600, Nikkor Lenses: 24-120 f/4G, 70-300 f/3.5-5.6G, 50 f/1.8G, 300 f/4E, TC-14E III
    Great way to find out how much LCD a custom dimension would cover. In this case you can just use the existing grid lines for composition.