D300s Successor-D400, what and when

Comments

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    "Right, when people like me talk about a "native ISO of 12,800" we are not talking about a number in the menu that is useless because the noise is so high at that number."

I think that goes without saying really Donald.

@Tao: Why do you think anybody would want the ability to go to an ISO that was unusable?
    Always learning.
  • shadowlandsshadowlands Posts: 8Member
    I still feel that a D400 is possible. $800.00 gap between the D7100 and D600 needs to be filled.
    FX will not fit in that slot. So come on, bring on a D400!!!
    "shadowlands"
    Nikon D800 FX & Nikon Coolpix A DX
    Nikon AF-S 28-70 f2.8D & Nikon AF 80-200 f2.8D
    Nikon AF 20-35 f2.8D & Nikon AF 50mm f1.4D
    Nikon SB-800 & Nikon SB-300

www.flickr.com/photos/dbdigital/
    www.flickr.com/photos/darrenwb/
  • KuvKuv Posts: 55Member
    So @ 12800 D4 is Unacceptable and Mk3 is Low?
    You have got to be kidding me...
    DPReview comparison
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited March 2013
    @ scoobysmak

For sure...any new non-mirror pro body will accept all the "F" Mount lenses via an adaptor as there is a lot of room between the body and the lens when one removes the mirror box distance from the body. This would be similar to the V1. And, the ability to fill this space when using "F" Mount lenses can result in some interesting effects. It would slowly be a transition, however, to new wide lenses which are not retro focus unlike all the wide lenses for the "F" Mount which to clear the mirror must be retro focus design.

If the D400 comes along, it will most likely be the last DX pro body IMHO.
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
    "If the D400 comes along, it will most likely be the last DX pro body IMHO"

At these refresh rates, there is a fair chance you could be right (which is an excellent reason to buy one).
    Always learning.
  • TaoTeJaredTaoTeJared Posts: 1,306Member
    "Right, when people like me talk about a "native ISO of 12,800" we are not talking about a number in the menu that is useless because the noise is so high at that number."

I think that goes without saying really Donald.

@Tao: Why do you think anybody would want the ability to go to an ISO that was unusable?
    @spraynpray - I'm not sure where you keep coming up with these questions, but they are not what myself or others are speaking too. Please take more time in processing the comments of myself and others. At the moment it seems like you are wanting just to be an antagonist troll. At least that is how you are coming across as you are writing arguments against people and not the camera or information.
    @ scoobysmak

For sure...any new non-mirror pro body will accept all the "F" Mount lenses via an adaptor as there is a lot of room between the body and the lens when one removes the mirror box distance from the body. This would be similar to the V1. And, the ability to fill this space when using "F" Mount lenses can result in some interesting effects. It would slowly be a transition, however, to new wide lenses which are not retro focus unlike all the wide lenses for the "F" Mount which to clear the mirror must be retro focus design.

If the D400 comes along, it will most likely be the last DX pro body IMHO.
    Sorry MsMoto but I don't think any sort of mirrorless will or could be considered a D400 or D300 replacement. A D3200 maybe a D7000 if they did something way beyond everyone else. No one has proven they have the systems up to speed yet. It could be at the same price, but I wouldn't say that would be a replacement.
    I do have a bias in believing that Nikon will not make a mirrorless that will fulfill what is needed for a success. They have been missing this mark now for almost every system since the D700. What concerns me is that they seem to have adopted a philosophy that more resembles their digi-cams - which has failed for decades with just 1 or 2 great entries back in the film days.
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
    @ Tao: You are wrong in your conclusions about my questions (yes, questions). if I were 'trolling' AIUI I would now say something antagonistic or negative. Notice I am not.
    Always learning.
    OK TTJ, I certainly think Nikon could really drop the ball on this and not be up to speed with emergent technology. But, my guess is they will be right there with the other big dogs and come up with something new and pretty good.

I do not see any of the non-mirror cameras as replacements but a new breed entirely, just as I did not see the D1 as a replacement for the F6 either.

Having said all this, I am still thinking about the first V1, which I simply do not understand.And, Nikon's poor response to the problems with the D800 and D600.

Maybe I you are predicting this correctly and Nikon will be left in the dust.
    Msmoto, mod
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,691Member
    edited March 2013
    I think we have to assume Nikon is acting reasonably: i.e. there are good reasons for why the D400 is delayed. What they are, we just don't know. Perhaps some emerging sensor technology which has not yet emerged sufficiently to produce it for the market? Perhaps insufficient resources because those resources are being drained by other projects such as the type of camera MsMoto predicts? Perhaps delays due to damage to production facilities? At this point we just don't know and anyone's guesses are about as good as anyone else's guesses (unless they are so wild they are totally unrealistic as some here think some of mine, such as a lite-D4, have been). Hopefully, the D400 will surface this summer and we will all be very happy with it. I agree that it well may be the last pro DX body by Nikon. Better get one while you can as it may have to last the rest of your life.
    Post edited by donaldejose on
    Canon has been slow to the 70D and 7dMkII which I find interesting. Sony's was quite slow as well. All of them had flooded plants in Thailand. They said they were all up and running (except Sony who scrapped theirs) well over a year ago - maybe that wasn't the case and the really long delay is part of it. As for the emerging sensor technology, that would be a good reason for sure, but I haven't seen anything that is ground breaking in a very long time. I'm starting to think they are running batches and sensors are kiddywampus and look like dalmatians.
    OK TTJ, I certainly think Nikon could really drop the ball on this and not be up to speed with emergent technology. But, my guess is they will be right there with the other big dogs and come up with something new and pretty good.
    I do not see any of the non-mirror cameras as replacements but a new breed entirely, just as I did not see the D1 as a replacement for the F6 either.
    Having said all this, I am still thinking about the first V1, which I simply do not understand.And, Nikon's poor response to the problems with the D800 and D600.

Nikon could choose to be left in the dust on a high-end mirrorless and just give up on that market. Considering that Olympus, Sony, Fuji, and Panasonic all have put a substantial effort into the market, well developed (or rather well on the way to being) products, It's probably not outside of the realm of thinking. Canon tried, and failed badly. Nikon's V/J system certainly hits a different niche - and did so well. Price is too close to other mirrorless systems and needs to be much under them, and they need to get the body smaller though. If they had got the V2 down to a Canon G11/12 size, and around $700 with a standard zoom and a prime, I would be looking at one. But they went the other direction.

I think they would be better off making a FX 12mp camera back sensor for film cameras. Now that sucker would sell!
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited March 2013

Lets look at the current line up, eg cameras that actually exist

some People might argue the 1DX is better than the D4, but by no stretch of the imagination does it leave the D4 in the dust

The same applies to 5d Mark III vs the D800

Does the 7D leave the D7100 is the dust ? I don't think so

Now lets look at glass, yes Canon propably have some lens missing in the Nikon range

but they have no 24 -120 or 200 -400 zooms

Want to change CLS for Canon ?

The D400 and the 7D Mark II have one thing in common, nether actually exist

Will Nikon one day, Nikon go the same way as Kodak? Yes almost certainly

but not in the next 5 years and probably not in my lifetime

I suppose they may go the same way as Jaguar and be bought up by Google or Apple
    who knows

Post edited by sevencrossing on
    edited March 2013
    Speaking of Jaguar, do people in the United Kingdom morn the sale of Jaguar to Tata? If we go back to the 1960's Jaguar E-Type we have a car with beautiful lines: an automotive sculpture.

jagheritageetypeconv196801

etypecoupe0216f0 (1)

If we look at an early 2000 era Jaguar XJ8 we also have beautiful lines.

2002_jaguar_xk-series_coupe_xk8_fq_oem_3_500

Now if we look at the a Tata as sculpture we have this.

nano4

I read that Tata just canceled development of this new Jaguar.

c-x75jaguarconcept003-opt

Questions: Are Brits sick? Are the days of photographing Jaguars as works of sculptural art over?
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited March 2013
    Nothing has or ever will replace the E type
    nor will anything replace the DB5
    they both belong in the same category as the Nikon F
    Sick? No. Sad, yes
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
    edited March 2013
    Maybe Tata will keep the Jaguar designers working to produce distinctive Jaguar lines but share under the skin components to achieve economies of scale. Or then again, maybe they will just put that distinctive Jaguar long nose (hood or bonnet) and grill on a Tata Nano and sell it as the Jaguar Nano! :))
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited March 2013
    What is with you guys? Start a conspiracy theory thread and get out of the D400 thread if you don't want one. :-w

I still believe the D400 will come, because the D7100, like the D7000 before is out matched by the 7D series. Why did Canon make the 7D? Because the 40D/50D could not compete with the D300/D300s, and they wanted to play a little catchup. The only differences is that a Nikon has out spec'd Canon with their top consumer models (D7000/D7100 vs 60D).
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • AndrewzAndrewz Posts: 122Member
    I know this isn't the first time this has happened but there is a D400 book on Amazon.de. Wish I could read German, I'd buy it.

http://www.amazon.de/Profibuch-Nikon-D400/dp/364560037X/?tag=coothi00-21
    D750, P7000, F100 80-200 f2.8 AF-S, 24-120 f4, 50 f1.8D, 85 f1.8G, 14-24 f2.8

Old friends now gone -D200, D300, 80-200 f2.3/D, 18-200, 35 f1.8G, 180 f2.8D, F, FM2, MD-12, 50 f1.4 Ais, 50 f1.8 Ais, 105 f2.5 Ais, 24 f2.8 Ais, 180 f2.8 ED Ais
  • kenadamskenadams Posts: 222Member
    I guess you'll have plenty of time to learn how to read german until this book is released... in 2018

• AndrewzAndrewz Posts: 122Member
    Dear Nikon,
    Still waiting for a D400!
    D750, P7000, F100 80-200 f2.8 AF-S, 24-120 f4, 50 f1.8D, 85 f1.8G, 14-24 f2.8

Old friends now gone -D200, D300, 80-200 f2.3/D, 18-200, 35 f1.8G, 180 f2.8D, F, FM2, MD-12, 50 f1.4 Ais, 50 f1.8 Ais, 105 f2.5 Ais, 24 f2.8 Ais, 180 f2.8 ED Ais
  • 1skully1skully Posts: 37Member
    None of the current Nikon Dx cameras meet the needs of several sports or wildlife photographers. I hope Nikon has not forgotten this group. I have an Fx camera but still desire a cropped sensor when I need that extra reach, But want that camera to have the pro controls and speed. Please don't disappoint Nikon! Also long time reader of this forum but first post.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited March 2013

Also long time reader of this forum but first post.
    Welcome ! :-h

I have waited so long for this camera .. its so much a part of my life now I will probably be lost when it finally arrives ! :-??
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

I guess we have now seen Donald's car collection...LOL :))
    Msmoto, mod
  • catfish252catfish252 Posts: 30Member
    edited March 2013
    Canon Rumors has an article stating that the new 7D Mark II may have an integrated battery grip and it is expected to be released late summer/early fall. link: http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/03/canon-eos-7d-mark-ii-information-cr1-2/
    Post edited by catfish252 on
    Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter. Ansel Adams
  • plasticexistenceplasticexistence Posts: 8Member
    @Andrewz: You're not missing out on any interesting information. To me, honestly, it looks like some empty database entry that may or may not be used in the future, who knows. So, as a matter of fact, I can read German. What does it say? That amazon page says: a "professional" book on the D400 will appear in May 2018 (LOL - I'm not so sure if anyone will still be waiting, then). What else? It says the book will cover photography using the D400 (surprise, surprise!) and the book will (quote) "close the gap between the pure meaning of a button or configuration menus and their practical meaning while shooting." And trust me, the remainder of that description is just as generic (e.g: "optimal configuration is essential for professional photography on a high level"). Further down, there's a short bio on the prospective author. It says he teaches photography and digital post-processing in Munich, and it states that his main work is in shooting for industry, advertising campaigns and fashion. For the rest I guess one doesn't really need to know German: It's all the years in which he did this or that. No, I would not take that amazon page seriously, it's simply too generic.
    I know this isn't the first time this has happened but there is a D400 book on Amazon.de. Wish I could read German, I'd buy it.

http://www.amazon.de/Profibuch-Nikon-D400/dp/364560037X/?tag=coothi00-21
    These are just placeholders for potential books and is done all the time. At one point they had one for the Nikon D95 before the D7000 was released.
    From catfish252's reference:

"What to expect?
    We’ve received some interesting information about the development of the EOS 7D Mark II.

We’re told at least one variation of the camera being developed has an integrated grip, really making it a “Baby EOS-1D X”. We’re told that the larger battery seen in the EOS-1D X is part of the reason it will autofocus bigger lenses better than a camera with say an LP-E6. If this is going to be targeted at sports and wildlife photographers, the bigger battery makes a lot of sense. I would expect the camera to be somewhat smaller, as the mirrorbox and prism wouldn’t need to be as large. It’s sounding like Canon is really going to test how much people are willing to spend on an APS-C body.

It is a 2013 camera by all indications, most likely the late summer/early fall."

Makes you think Nikon may respond by producing a "baby D4" doesn't it? Perhaps the "D4-lite" or "mini-D4" ideas were not so crazy after all.
This discussion has been closed.