Will there Be a Professional DX Body From Nikon?

Comments

• HammieHammie Posts: 258Member
    What would define a Pro DX body to have that the current line-ups are lacking?

Is it button layout? Scenes? Effects?

Can't a pro use any body that fits their needs?

I am being serious not facetious.

BTW, I have not read ALL posts so excuse this post if it was already laid out.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    D810/D300 like body, build and functions is all I would consider as a proDx.
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,703Member
    Hammie: Yes pros can and do use "non-pro" cameras. In the context of this discussion "pro" refers to a certain robust body type rather than to the photographer. It may perhaps be better to ask if Nikon will produce a DX body more robust than the current ones and at least as robust as the D300s. The one "true" pro camera from Nikon is the D4. It has the most robust build, full metal body, built in battery grip, most robust weathersealing, 10 to 11 fps and shutter life expectancy of about 300,000 actuations. If you need that robustness and durability and can afford $6,000.00 the D4 is the body for you. One notch down in robustness is the D810 body. It has the same basic control layout, full metal body but no built in battery grip and a shutter life expectancy of about half that of the D4 shutter. Cost is $3,200. Those are the only two "pro" Nikon bodies at this time. The D300s had the same basic control layout and robust build as the D810 but with a DX sensor for a price of $1900. That is what everyone is talking about: Will Nikon offer a more robust DX body which is essentially equal to the robustness of the D810 body for a price of $2,000? Many think that ship has sailed and Nikon will not offer such a body. Some think Nikon will offer such a body but may call it a D500 since so much time has passed. Each side gives their reasons and some people are very passionate about their opinions on this subject. The truth is none of us know what Nikon will do. I, for one, admit I don't need the robustness of a "pro" body. I just don't shoot that much or in such difficult conditions. Yet, I would like one just it is sometimes nice to be able to use tools which are far superior to the actual need at hand. However, I also have fun seeing what I can do with the lower level tools. Recently I have been shooting with the Nikon 1 system just to see what I can accomplish with it.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Nice summary @donaldejose. You said: Will Nikon offer a more robust DX body which is essentially equal to the robustness of the D810 body for a price of $2,000? Many think that ship has sailed and Nikon will not offer such a body. Some think Nikon will offer such a body but may call it a D500 since so much time has passed. Each side gives their reasons and some people are very passionate about their opinions on this subject. The truth is none of us know what Nikon will do. I, for one, admit I don't need the robustness of a "pro" body. I just don't shoot that much or in such difficult conditions.

Two years ago I thought I "needed a Pro style DX DSLR". After 18 months of using the D7100 and a few months using the D750 I moved to the other side of the street. I don't need the robustness nor do I need the "larger" size. My requirements are being met with DSLR's that ARE NOT Pro body...I want DR and high IQ.

D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited March 2015
    D810/D300 like body, build and functions is all I would consider as a proDx.
    If this is all you want. As asked before, and I will ask again. what is wrong with the D810 in Dx mode
    ( or a used D800 for about $2500)

donaldejose and can afford $6,000.00 the D4 is the body for you.
    Maths has never been my strong point but I think That works out at ~ $0.02 per actuation If you need a camera that will do 300,000 actuations. and cant afford a D4; their is something seriously wrong with you business plan
    the cost per actuation of the mythical Pro Dx is approximately the same

Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • HammieHammie Posts: 258Member
    Thanks @donaldejose. That is what I figured. I still own the D300 along with my D750.

Yes, the button layout is different and at first was not so sure about it. The build quality, to me, between the two is not noticeable enough to complain one way or the other. I use Nikon OEM grips on both, BTW.

As @Photobug mentioned, the IQ and ISO is more in line with what I want. However, I am happy enough to keep my D300 as a DX body. There is nothing wrong with it for my needs.

Thanks again for the thorough explanation.
    sevencrossing: yes, if you shoot the full life expectancy of a shutter, or even shoot through one or two shutters on a D3 or D4 body (as one camera repairman told me the rest of the body would surely handle) the cost of a D3 or D4 body is not a significant factor. For those us who do not use a camera body this much, we are likely to see significant image quality or feature upgrades come alone years before we have exhausted the shutter on a D3 or D4 body. Still, we can probably sell a slightly used D4 for about half its cost when the D5 is out. A slightly used D3 probably sold on e-bay for half its original price when the D4 first arrived. If we look at it this way (upgrade cost) we can probably be shooing with a Dx body for about $3,000 per body cycle once we have made the first investment. Maybe someday I will do that. For now I will stick with bodies with an initial cost of about $3,000 or less.
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    If the D820 would show up with 8-10 fps at 24mp in crop mode that would satisfy that but I would look at the rest of the specs before I bought. If a D400/D9300 came later I would come back for it also. If it did not that is a sale Nikon would miss out on. The body build is not as important as having the same button layout too me.
    edited March 2015
    For now I will stick with bodies with an initial cost of about $3,000 or less.
    is that a S/H D800 then ??

• nukuEX2nukuEX2 Posts: 178Member
    edited March 2015
    If the D820 would show up with 8-10 fps at 24mp in crop mode that would satisfy that but I would look at the rest of the specs before I bought. If a D400/D9300 came later I would come back for it also.
    Nah we all know that's not gonna happen anytime soon, if ever. :)) That's why I decided to get D7200. :D
    Post edited by nukuEX2 on
    D7200, 40mm Micro Nikkor f2.8, Lowepro AW Hatchback 16,
  • haroldpharoldp Posts: 984Member
    ever is a long time

...H
    D810, D3x, 14-24/2.8, 50/1.4D, 24-70/2.8, 24-120/4 VR, 70-200/2.8 VR1, 80-400 G, 200-400/4 VR1, 400/2.8 ED VR G, 105/2 DC, 17-55/2.8.
    Nikon N90s, F100, F, lots of Leica M digital and film stuff.

• snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    edited March 2015
    If the D820 would show up with 8-10 fps at 24mp in crop mode....
    The D810 has 7 fps in crop mode with a grip, so 8 or 9 fps in crop mode with the D820 would not be impossible. Lets hope for that!

Unfortunatly I think 24 mp *and* 8-10 fps in crop mode is pretty far from where Nikon is right now. At least in a pro body. I guess that is why this thread is so long.
    Post edited by snakebunk on
    edited March 2015
    sevencrossing: What I mean by $3,000 or less. Like many others here, I suspect, the range of bodies I would consider purchasing new or refurnished at this time would be D7200, D400 (if produced), D750, and D810. To me they provide the best "bang for the buck" and features I would actually use. Right now I shoot with a Nikon 1V2, Coolpix A, D7000, D600 and D800. Just no need for anything more at this time and no extra money for toys. What I have now does everything I need to do at this time. However, I do lust after a D750 and a D810.
    Post edited by donaldejose on
    edited March 2015
    donaldejose
    ...Right now I shoot with a Nikon 1V2, Coolpix A, D7000, D600 and D800.
    .....I would consider... D7200, D400 (if produced), D750, and D810

You clearly have a sever case of NAS

I think the only cure is to sell every thing and buy a D4s

edited March 2015
    But I wouldn't want to shoot with just one camera. It is more fun switching between them. Like playing with lots of toys instead of just one. The Coolpix A fits so nicely in a suit coat pocket you can carry it around with no one knowing it is there and being DX it allows you to capture images in low interior light. The Nikon 1 fits nicely in a jacket pocket with a zoom lens so you don't have to have a camera bag or a camera hanging around your shoulder or it will conceal well hanging from your neck under a jacket and you can shoot a Nikon 1 silent and at very high fps. Plus, Nikon 1 lenses are so small you can carry the 80 to 300mm equivalent in the other jacket pocket. Thus, you can have every focal length from 28mm to 300mm available in just two jacket pockets. The D600s lightweightness with Nikon's light 50mm f1.4 lens hangs easily from a neckstrap causing no strain although it is obvious you are carrying a camera and you cannot zip a jacket over it to hide it. The D800 with a 50mm Sigma Art lens is a beast best used when you are focused 100% on shooting for highest quality so you might have it mounted on a tripod. I often keep mine attached to a tripod and walk around the woods with the tripod resting over one shoulder. So I can be seen all the way from incognito in a suit or casual in a jacket to looking like Ansel Adams carrying a beast of a camera attached to a tripod over my shoulder. To me that's part of the fun of photography.
    Post edited by donaldejose on
  • SportsSports Posts: 365Member
    Talked to a journalist yesterday.
    He was a very experienced enthusiast photography, and had been taking pictures for 48 years. He owned an old Canon DSLR, but he would retire soon, and spend more time and money on new gear.
    He knew all details on Canon bodies and lenses, and had been trying them in a shop, including the new 7D mk 2, of couse, and the 6D and 5D FX. But he loved the 7D, its "formula one" feeling of speed and no compromises.

"Oh, no", I had to say. "I'm told by some very dedicated people that there's no market for a pro DX camera, so you better come to your senses asap".

He had no idea was I was talking about. He had to decided to get the 7D.
    D300, J1
    Sigma 70-200/2.8, 105/2.8
    Nikon 50/1.4G, 18-200, 80-400G
    1 10-30, 30-110
    . To me that's part of the fun of photography.
    +1

If photography is your hobby, having fun, is what it should be all about

According to main blog you can now get a D4 below your magic $3000

edited March 2015
    I'm told by some very dedicated people that there's no market for a pro DX camera, so ".

I don't think anyone has said that
    What has been said is: The demand is limited
    Too limited for Nikon to bring a Pro Dx DSLR to market

I am not familiar with the cannon range. Do cannon make the equivalent of a D610 or D750

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Except the D750's sensor is better than the 5D3's....
    Always learning.
    edited March 2015
    I'm told by some very dedicated people that there's no market for a pro DX camera, so you better come to your senses asap".
    Sadly I have to agree with Sports too. The D7200 in anyway won't reaches the build quality and the robustness of D300S. Man that thing was built like a tank.I think the operative word here is "enough". D7200 and all the cameras in D7XXX series have "enough" fps, upgraded processors / ISO / focusing systems, weather sealing and the metal frame in the chassis to keep most people happy, if not all. Nikon's new business motto would be "Let's give them enough." of the features to pacify crybabies screaming for the Pro DX body and keep them from defecting to other brands then ween them off quickly as possible so they can move up to FX. :-)) On the main blog D7000 is used to take pictures of central Asia. Where environmental condition isn't always ideal. I'm doubt that plastic body like the D3XXX and D5XXX series would fare well. D7000 has "enough" weather sealing and the robustness to survive in that environment ;)
    Post edited by nukuEX2 on
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I'm told by some very dedicated people that there's no market for a pro DX camera, so you better come to your senses asap".
    Sadly I have to agree with Sports too. The D7200 in anyway won't reaches the build quality and the robustness of D300S. Man that thing was built like a tank.I think the operative word here is "enough". D7200 and all the cameras in D7XXX series have "enough" fps, upgraded processors / ISO / focusing systems, weather sealing and the metal frame in the chassis to keep most people happy, if not all. Nikon's new business motto would be "Let's give them enough." of the features to pacify crybabies screaming for the Pro DX body and keep them from defecting to other brands then ween them off quickly as possible so they can move up to FX. :-)) On the main blog D7000 is used to take pictures of central Asia. Where environmental condition isn't always ideal. I'm doubt that plastic body like the D3XXX and D5XXX series would fare well. D7000 has "enough" weather sealing and the robustness to survive in that environment ;)
    Your assumptions are flawed. No amount of 'weather sealing' will keep humidity out of a body. The day you see top IP ratings on a body is the day to say it will keep humidity out. All lenses leak air, the lens/body joint even on lenses with a seal and called pro leak air, and that humid air leaks into the body sooner or later. If a camera was extreme IP rated it would not be an interchangeable lens body because all 'weather sealing' is only zero pressure water splash resistance.

Oh, and in case you think the magnesium is a good thing, magnesium is more likely to corrode by far in very humid conditions than plastic is, especially where stainless or plated screws are fitted.
    Always learning.

Oh, and in case you think the magnesium is a good thing, magnesium is more likely to corrode by far in very humid conditions than plastic is, especially where stainless or plated screws are fitted.
    Ok I agree with you on that about magnesium but we are not just talking light rain or splash from a cup of water or soda here and such rubber gasket can protect from wind-blown dust or small sand grains that could pelt the camera body.
    If you are operating in a really hostile environment I would suggest a D5500 and a Ikelite housing or an outex
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member

;-)
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Unbelievable how he cleaned that camera and lens.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |