I AM ADVANCING What do you want?

PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
edited January 2015 in Nikon DSLR cameras
I would like to see some method of making suggestions to nikon on the chages we would like.
The first one is a save function on one of the custom banks.

Comments

• JCTibuJCTibu Posts: 44Member
    sorry.. i can't find the link provided in the main blog to work.....

where can I see it at the Nikon site???

Now... I would like to know the backstage about this decision... for sure there will be future firmware updates that will only be adapted to new equipments... so in the reality, there will be like 2 or maybe 3 upgrades in 3 years for a single camera?....
    Nikon D750 - Sigma 24-105mm f4 - Nikon 50mm 1.8g - Nikon 55-300mm - SB700 -SB400
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    sorry JCT you dont keep up with the rumors blog ..nikon bringing out increased features to update older cameras to modern spec.......see todays update
  • ElvisheferElvishefer Posts: 329Member
    If I would had one of the cameras mentioned, I would want the software updates to be free.

The existence of a rumor that they might not be, in this day and age, boggles the mind.
    D700, 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII, 24-70mm f/2.8, 14-24mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4G, 200mm f/4 Micro, 105mm f/2.8 VRII Micro, 35mm f/1.8, 2xSB900, 1xSB910, R1C1, RRS Support...

... And no time to use them.
  • ggbutcherggbutcher Posts: 390Member
    Multi-focal length AF fine tuning.
    Wide-gamut TIFF as an alternative to JPEG.

Think they'll update the D7000 firmware??? :D
  • MikeGunterMikeGunter Posts: 543Member
    Hi all,

@ Elvishefer + ∞

The updates would have to be spectacular. Really spectacular.

My best,

Mike
  • MightyYMightyY Posts: 30Member
    Multi-focal range AF fine tuning for zoom lenses (like what Canon's newest bodies have).
  • Parke1953Parke1953 Posts: 456Member
    The D4 is not on the list. Does it already have these features?
  • KnockKnockKnockKnock Posts: 398Member
    Updated Nikon App to match Camranger' features.
    On-sensor auto-focus in DSLRs.
    Compact wide angle DX prime lens.
    D7100, D60, 35mm f/1.8 DX, 50mm f/1.4, 18-105mm DX, 18-55mm VR II, Sony RX-100 ii
  • ErikssonRobinErikssonRobin Posts: 28Member
    Give us focus peaking! Just like they have in the Sony a7 lineup. Thousand times easier to nail focus while shooting video or simply manual focusing on old lenses. About the biggest thing I miss on my D810.
    Robin Eriksson
    Nikon D810 • Nikkor 24mm 1.4G • Nikkor 105 2.8 Macro • SB-700 • Gitzo 5562 LTS
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    edited January 2015
    First:
    I want a square FX sensor. All that wasted image from the lens would be recovered. I would never again have to turn the camera 90 degrees for a portrait shot and battery grips would be a thing of the past.

Two downsides:
    The maximum shutter speed will be a third slower as it has further to travel. I could live with that 1/6000. Perhaps Nikon could upgrade the shutter to it could still achieve 1/8000, but it might be expensive. I have another idea below.

The mirror will not fit anymore. The mirror will need to be longer to cover the increased vertical dimension and will bump up against the lens mount when you take a picture. I can't live with this for obvious reasons. There are two workarounds:
    I.
    Go mirrorless. Meh......
    II.
    Split the mirror in two. The top half flips up and the bottom half flips down. Now we have the images going in two different directions when the mirror is "down". This would require additional sensors, one to receive the top half mirror image and one to receive the bottom half mirror image. The images would then be re-combined and displayed in an electronic viewfinder. All of the phase detect focussing hardware would of course be integrated into this. There are no technical reasons why this could not be done, but the extra sensors are costly. However, over time, they will become cheap, so this is self-correcting.

We can then change the name of DSLR to DWEF (Digital WestEndFoto). Just kidding......

Hmmm.......now there is extra space between the lens mount and the mirrors when they flip up (and down). What to do with it?

How about built in ND filters. I would have a one stop, two stop, four stop and eight stop. With combinations, that would give us in-camera ND filter continuous coverage from one to fifteen stops. We could shoot in f/1.4 in any light. We could shoot 30 minute exposures in broad daylight at the flick of a switch. 1/6000 instead of 1/8000 shutter speed is no longer an issue. Lens mounted filters would almost (but not quite) become obsolete.

Second:
    I want AF coverage across the whole frame.

Third:
    I want 72 megapixels. However, only the super-teles are sharp enough to exploit this - even the Sigma Arts can just barely exploit all 36 megapixels on a D800. So I will then want a professional line of lenses that can exploit this. Hmmm.......did I just ask Nikon to increase the pricing of their professional lenses from $2,000 a pop to $3,000 or even $4,000 a pop?

Just a few minor requests from me........
    Post edited by WestEndFoto on
  • nek4lifenek4life Posts: 123Member
    First:
    I want a square FX sensor. All that wasted image from the lens would be recovered. I would never again have to turn the camera 90 degrees for a portrait shot and battery grips would be a thing of the past.

Two downsides:
    The maximum shutter speed will be a third slower as it has further to travel. I could live with that 1/6000. Perhaps Nikon could upgrade the shutter to it could still achieve 1/8000, but it might be expensive. I have another idea below.

The mirror will not fit anymore. The mirror will need to be longer to cover the increased vertical dimension and will bump up against the lens mount when you take a picture. I can't live with this for obvious reasons. There are two workarounds:
    I.
    Go mirrorless. Meh......
    II.
    Split the mirror in two. The top half flips up and the bottom half flips down. Now we have the images going in two different directions when the mirror is "down". This would require additional sensors, one to receive the top half mirror image and one to receive the bottom half mirror image. The images would then be re-combined and displayed in an electronic viewfinder. All of the phase detect focussing hardware would of course be integrated into this. There are no technical reasons why this could not be done, but the extra sensors are costly. However, over time, they will become cheap, so this is self-correcting.

We can then change the name of DSLR to DWEF (Digital WestEndFoto). Just kidding......

Hmmm.......now there is extra space between the lens mount and the mirrors when they flip up (and down). What to do with it?

How about built in ND filters. I would have a one stop, two stop, four stop and eight stop. With combinations, that would give us in-camera ND filter continuous coverage from one to fifteen stops. We could shoot in f/1.4 in any light. We could shoot 30 minute exposures in broad daylight at the flick of a switch. 1/6000 instead of 1/8000 shutter speed is no longer an issue. Lens mounted filters would almost (but not quite) become obsolete.

Second:
    I want AF coverage across the whole frame.

Third:
    I want 72 megapixels. However, only the super-teles are sharp enough to exploit this - even the Sigma Arts can just barely exploit all 36 megapixels on a D800. So I will then want a professional line of lenses that can exploit this. Hmmm.......did I just ask Nikon to increase the pricing of their professional lenses from $2,000 a pop to $3,000 or even $4,000 a pop?

Just a few minor requests from me........
    I think this thread is about advancements through firmware updates, not hardware features for new cameras in the future.
    edited January 2015
    I don't see that distinction in the OP's opening post or the title of the thread.
    Post edited by WestEndFoto on
  • HammieHammie Posts: 258Member
    @WestEndFoto

The I AM ADVANCING tagline was a press release about how Nikon will be offering advancements to cameras through firmware updates. The idea of the thread, as I understood it to be, was to gather thoughts about what people would want that could be accomplished via firmware.

A physical hardware change would not be possible unless an attachment or function was made available in something like an external grip.
    I get your point, but you don't really expect a reader to figure that out if it is not obvious from the title or OP's post do you? To catch that I would have had to be up to date on the blog, which I still have not bothered reading.

I think that it is important that the OP be really clear about the topic when they start a discussion.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Lighten up Francis. Everyone should at least glance at the main blog...
  • nek4lifenek4life Posts: 123Member
    I get your point, but you don't really expect a reader to figure that out if it is not obvious from the title or OP's post do you? To catch that I would have had to be up to date on the blog, which I still have not bothered reading.

I think that it is important that the OP be really clear about the topic when they start a discussion.
    I agree, link to the original blog post and/or the nikon I AM ADVANCING press release should be in the opening post. I probably should have posted them as well in my response to you.

http://nikonrumors.com/2015/01/08/nikon-to-announce-a-new-firmware-download-program-on-january-19th-including-several-improvements-for-the-d750-d810-d800-d800e-d610-and-d600-cameras.aspx/

Looks like they took down the leak, but it was here I think.

http://imaging.nikon.com/advancing
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    Well Iron heart is right ..I was hoping for some firmware ideas and hoping Nikon were reading. If any of you have ever done a Samsung or Olympus firmware update you will know you get usefull improvements to the logic of how the camera works .With Nikon you can use a lens you will never buy and find your third party accessory no longer works. Lets hope this is not a rumour...now if we could get all these ideas translated into japanese......
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    The RAW histogram has my tongue hanging out in anticipation and the electronic first curtain shutter has piqued my interest too. Some gimmicky stuff in there too, but you don't have to use it I suppose.

I wonder how the electronic first curtain shutter is going to be implemented. I'd love to shoot brackets without the mirror flailing around pointlessly. I would also like the whole bracket set to complete with just one press of the shutter button a la Canon.
    Always learning.
  • ThomasHortonThomasHorton Posts: 323Member
    Focus peaking would be something I would really appreciate.
    Gear: Camera obscura with an optical device which transmits and refracts light.
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    I would also like the whole bracket set to complete with just one press of the shutter button a la Canon.
    My d5100 will do this with the shutter set to continues. Just take your finger of the button after the proper number of exposures.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I would also like the whole bracket set to complete with just one press of the shutter button a la Canon.
    My d5100 will do this with the shutter set to continues. Just take your finger of the button after the proper number of exposures.
    Nikons all do that, which is the problem. The Canon system is that one short press of the button will do the whole set so if you set exposure delay mode to say 2s you can press and release the button and remove your hand from the camera to avoid any possible movement before the sequence starts.
    Always learning.
  • CaMeRaQuEsTCaMeRaQuEsT Posts: 357Member
    I really hope that Nikon gives us focus peaking and zebras in at least all the expeed 3 and newer chipped cameras.
  • funtagraphfuntagraph Posts: 265Member
    Focus peaking needs to be well done before it becomes helpful. I' we seen it in several cams and apps and sometimes it's just too much "in focus". But it would be nice.

I like to see focusstacking. Switch on live view, define the closest and farthest point and let the camera calculate how much shots will be needed at a certain aperture.

Another nice thing: automatic AF adjust. Set up target and focus manually in LiveView. Push OK and the camera checks how distant this position of the lens is when phase detection AF comes into play. Set the AFMA correctly.

Extended LV to android or iOS devices would be nice, at least to adjust some parameters.

If in still shot mode: use the record button to record a vocal note. Recording as long as the button is pushed or an On/Off toggle function.

Override of the longest shutter time. Never understood why it has to end at 30 secs...

Double exposure in LiveView with the first picture as composing help background. Or is that already possible?
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator

I like to see focusstacking. Switch on live view, define the closest and farthest point and let the camera calculate how much shots will be needed at a certain aperture.

Override of the longest shutter time. Never understood why it has to end at 30 secs...
    In focus stacking the camera remains set at a particular focus setting and the entire body is moved fore or aft to gather the images. I do not think this can be done by an in camera function unless one has a motorized camera macro dolly....about $10-15,000 most likely.

Longest shutter time.....after 30 seconds a lot of other things begin to happen as far as noise, etc. and this may be why 30 seconds is the limit for the camera to set. Also, in many exposures longer than 30 seconds the shutter is opened on "bulb" with a "black card" in front of the lens, the exposure is made by removing the black card while timing the exposure and at the end the back card is replaced and shutter closed by taking the camera off "bulb".

Maybe that is why these functions are not in camera.
    Msmoto, mod
  • funtagraphfuntagraph Posts: 265Member
    @MsMoto In Helicon focus i.e. you can use a stepper driven macro-rail which moves the camera. But as well I can use the AF-drive of the lens to adjust focus, which is also pretty nice to do. All the camera has to do is using the same algorithm as helicon uses to calculate DoF of the aperture, divide the full depth of in-focus range by that value and the result is a couple of shots to do a focus stack composing. Not too difficult - even CamRanger can do a very basic version of that.

As for longer times - the noise is given and depending on the length of shutter time. I can't see a difference noise wise to use a hat covering the lens (and the risk of defocus by touching the wrong parts whe removing the cover) and increasing the amount of shutter times. Sure, I could do also multi-exposure, but then I need to stay close to the camera and push the release again and again.