'info' button on nikon cameras

yee379yee379 Posts: 6Member
edited March 2015 in Nikon DSLR cameras
so i can understand that on the lower end nikon slrs the info button has a lot of use; but on the higher end camera with a ton of buttons, does anyone actually use the 'info' button? given that i can get the same menu up by pressing practically any of the bottoms on the right hand side of on my d750 i find the 'info' button above the d-pad rather pointless. i would much prefer it if i could repurpose it for an AF-ON button. thoughts?
Tagged:

Comments

• PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    edited March 2015
    I use the info button a fair amount of time. Makes it easy to change certain settings.
    My D750 is in for the flare issue so I can't provide more detail.
    Take a look at the back side of your D750 next to the AE/EL button. There is room for an AF-ON button.
    Post edited by Photobug on
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    edited March 2015
    It's weird that there's an info button and also an i button. It's a little confusing for those who use older Nikon bodies.
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    I don't get the point of the double info buttons either. Seems like a waste of a button, that could have been used for something else, or simply not been there in the first place.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • kyoshinikonkyoshinikon Posts: 411Member
    The top screen is far more useful to me... I guess Nikon has figured out that not just fulltime dedicated pros use their cameras. It would be nice if I could reprogram mine to something I use more.
    “To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It’s at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.” - Bresson
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    The nice part of the info is that multiple adjustments as well as double checking the set up can be made quickly, and it is always lighted.
    Msmoto, mod
  • HammieHammie Posts: 258Member
    I would love to be able to re-purpose the Info button as AF-ON.

BTW, there is plenty of room for a dedicated AF-ON button on the back of the D750. The AF-L/AE-L button is in about the same exact location as it is on my D300, which does have the dedicated AF-ON button.

For me, the Info button is currently the more natural position for my thumb versus the AF-L/AE-L button.

Since it is all software driven anyway, I'm not sure WHY the option to reconfigure what each button does is not available to the users.

I think the only reason I have ever used the Info button is to ensure that the camera sees my GPS attachment.
  • yee379yee379 Posts: 6Member
    thanks all; my first camera was the d70; so i guess i got very used to using the rear screen only for image preview.

one of the for-canon arguments is that everything can be done with one hand, one that i'm beginning to appreciate; and the fact that all bodies seem to have AF-ON as standard (although i don't personally know any canon users that actually use it!).

in fact i also repurpose the 'movie record' button on the top for ISO adjustment for that reason (i don't like the easy-iso non-press-and-hold method).

whilst having the AF-ON button in the 'standard place' next to AE-L, i think the location of the 'info' button above the dial would work perfectly for AF-ON; i wouldn't have to reach down to readjust focus points; in fact i would be willing to pay for that feature!

one thing i do miss on the d750 is seeing the focus mode on the top panel without having to press the af button on the front right.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited March 2015

one thing i do miss on the d750 is seeing the focus mode on the top panel without having to press the af button on the front right.
    That is an odd omission, considering that all bodies of that line (D70/D80/D90/D7000) all had that displayed on the top panel.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Yeah, they have to strip out the display because they made it so small to accommodate the new grip shape. I would have preferred the old grip and a bigger display personally.
    Always learning.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    When I got the D750 I would have agreed with you. Now that I have shot over 3K images, my preference is for the larger (deeper) grip. Liked the D7100 grip but the D750 is so much better.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I am sure it is a personal thing.
    Always learning.