Backing up an 810 - 750 or 7200 ?

MaxBerlinMaxBerlin Posts: 86Member
edited June 2015 in Nikon DSLR cameras
Which Nikon body would you get as a 2nd to back up a D810 ?

I'm undecided between the D750 and D7200 but at the same time I'm concerned that I'll just leave either sitting on the shelf because each has too many compromises when compared to the 810.

My instinct is that the 750 is more user friendly but I'm ND filter adverse and 1/4000 is a nasty limit on a camera.

The 7200 has appeal due to the extra reach afforded by the pixel density but I'm unsure if the results will match up to 810 standards. How will the 7200 fare with TC14 and 300mm 2,8 ? Birding etc.

Any experience or input along these lines is appreciated.
My non-commercial blog:

https://sonyvnikon.wordpress.com/

Comments

• Spy_BlackSpy_Black Posts: 79Member
    Do you use 1/8000 regularly? Then you need it. If not then you're worrying needlessly.

How many FF lenses do you own? While the DX reach may be appealing, it can also disrupt your visual workflow when you're jumping from FX to DX with the same lenses.

Also, why not consider a D800? You can pickup a new one at Amazon for $1800. This would give you a backup camera that would seamlessly fit right into your established workflow.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Why do you want a back-up camera? In what way does the D810 not satisfy you?

If you want reach, it is the D7200.

If you want better low light, it is the D750.

If you only want a second body just in case, get a D800 or D810.
    Always learning.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    edited June 2015
    Well I have the D800 which I know is not a D810 but I pick the D7100 up every time . It does most of my wedding work and I only use the D800 with a 17-35 for wide shots where it does a better job than the DX with a 10-20mm. The D800 is the most disapointing camera I ever bought though the 810 is quieter but still has the silly "Pro Controls" which irritate me to hell.
    I think the D750 would give the same pic quality as a D7200 but with a low light advantage ..but the D750 is not a birding camera ..Tom Hogan is convinced a D400 is on its way in August.
    I am not totally convinced that FX lenses work there best on DX.
    Two cameras has the advantage of no needing to change between lenses.
    I think the 300+1.4 will work well provided you have the ~AF fine tune spot on for each combination of with and without the 1.4 but any birder know that
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Why do you think the 750 is more user friendly? The controls are identical.
    In addition to the 1/8000 the 7200 is lighter, it has one click higher ISO, deeper buffer, and it costs $1000 less.
    http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/comment/144916#Comment_144916

You are basically asking if a #2 phillips is better than a #3. Different tools for different jobs.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited June 2015
    I think @spraynpray's points/questions are good. I would like to additionally ask what your subjects are? ( besides test charts ;-) )

You mentioned the 300mm + TC1.4 and if the D7200 can take advantage of that combination. Are you saying that you think the D7200 may be inferior to the D810? or that the D7200 would show the limitations of that Combination. I think the Photographylife review of the D7200 shows that the D7200 is a very capable camera that can take advantage of any sharpness any lens can bring to the table, more so than any other camera in the NIKON lineup anyway. On the other hand I think the 300 + TC14 combination is a very very capable team. The PF version should not be exposed though the older version may be, I am not sure.
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    I agree with S&P

what/ why do you want a back up camera

If you want to avoid changing lenses, or are on expedition and worried about the D810 getting damaged, get a second D810

If you just want another camera, then tell us what is wrong ( if anything) with your D810

from a different thread .. "Tell me what you think.. D7200 vs D610"
    Maybe its just me but I have always had a backup. But I guess there are a few kinds of "backup".
    1) Primary camera used always and backup only if it fails.
    - I would go D810 and bring along
    a) maybe P&S or
    b) older (not worth selling) camera
    c) nikon 1system

2) Both camera used mainly for redundancy and full backup - exactly the same camera probably both D810 or both D7200 or whatever else depending on budget. eg weddings, events, jobs.

3) Most versatility and options - as suggested the D750+D7200 seems to be the best option here. With just 2 lenses you can get a substantial FOV range and at top IQ for very varied light, from Bright desert sun to dim temple internals. I guess I am thinking of what and how I like to shoot here. ie short Day Trips or weekends to various spots where I dont know what I will be getting.
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• gene_mcgillgene_mcgill Posts: 395Member
    My own experience, yours will differ:

I had a D800E and a D700. I wrestled with the D750 vs. D7200 to replace the D700. I went with the D7200 because:

- It allowed me to buy the 10-24 and 16-85 DX zooms for about the money of the D750 alone. The D7200 and the two zooms make a very nice walk-around set that is substantially lighter than the equivalent in FX. I needed this because I travel for work and got tired of lugging the FX gear.
    - For birding and wildlife (in pretty good light) the AF system + the density in the D7200 sensor make it a very good wildlife camera. For my style of shooting, the buffer in the D7200 has never been an issue, even shooting raw+jpeg. It was constantly with both the FX cameras.
    - For landscape and low light, the D800E still the one I grab. It is substantially better at low light than the D7200. There have been images I've taken where the 36MP really popped next to the 24MP. The D700 is better in low light than the D7200.

I do prefer the controls on the D800E over the D750/D7200 but I'm getting used to the new mode. It's not a significant problem for me.

I have the AF-S 300 f/4D. It works great on the D7200, better than the AF-S 80-400 f/5.6. I've tried the TC-14EII but prefer to crop instead.

So for me there is a clear choice of which body I grab. Neither sits on the shelf. Like Ironheart says, different tools for different jobs, and for me, that is a Good Thing.

I rejected the D750 fearing it had enough in common with, or better than, the D800E that one or the other would sit idle. Both are great in low light. Both need FX lenses. While the D750 saves weight, the FX lenses do not. And, for where I live, I also feared the ribbon connecting the LCD wouldn't deal with the very cold temps. For birds/wildlife, I did not see that the D750 would buy me much besides the improved AF over the D800E.

I've been very pleased with the D7200 (and the two DX zooms I bought with it). I still like the D800E very much. I don't miss the D700.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    Wait for the next 50 MP FX ..you will then be able to use DX lenses and get 24 MP quality ..a true dual format camera...
  • henrik1963henrik1963 Posts: 567Member
    It seems you need to decide if you want a one to one back up or you want a complementary camera.
  • picturetedpictureted Posts: 153Member
    I agree - you need to determine whether you want a complementary body or a back-up. My D810 just broke (viewfinder really can't support DR-5) and I'm back with my D7100. None of the wide angles I like with the D810 - 20/1.8, 16-35/4, 28/1.8 are really useable. Going back to the 10-24 on DX, while acceptable for some uses, is not as capable for landscapes.

The only time I don't mind the D7100 is for birding or long macro. I'm thinking of a D610 as a back-up, since I can't afford $3000 for a second D810. I also wouldn't want to be that invested in one camera model.
    pictureted at flickr
  • MaxBerlinMaxBerlin Posts: 86Member
    I've decided 'wait' is the best answer. There are a lot of great things about the Nikon D810 but every other camera has a mix of compromises and advantages. The optimum solution is that I should wait until the next big thing makes the D810 the back up camera. Thanks for the advice everyone.
    My non-commercial blog:

https://sonyvnikon.wordpress.com/
    That could work for you.

The D400 should be here at the end of the year .. ;-) .. jks

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited June 2015
    Back up.....I will offer this. I use my D800E for short lenses, no real light limitations. For action I go with the D4 and its high FPS, excellent low light ability.

So, maybe instead of a D750 or D7200, a used or refurb D4? This expands the range of capabilities. As to BIF, something I have as yet to master, the D4 is pretty nice:
    Cherry_Grove_VI_04.17.14-2

Bigger: https://www.flickr.com/photos/fantinesfotos/13915237925/sizes/o/
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod