Old lenses !

heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
edited June 2015 in Nikon Lenses
Lets talk about some old Nikkor (or other) lenses..

We all know one of the nice things of the nikon system is that the F Mount has not changed for (50 ?) years. So we have a lot of lenses to play with.

Lets have a chat !

What are your fav Old lenses..?
Which one would you recommend, if any, for a Modern DSLR user who just bought a brand new camera with a Kit lens and want to stretch his budget . or just for "creative" fun with a "special" lens. Compatibility issues with modern DSLR ? Whats so "special" about that lense ! ?
Post edited by heartyfisher on
Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    One of the biggest advantages of some of the older Nikkors is not always that they are special per say, but they do offer a very high value in terms of quality for the dollar spent.

Examples, the old AF 20-35mm F2.8D and 35-70mm F2.8D. Both are much lighter, more compact and still offer good image quality for less than half the price of modern equivalents (AF-S 17-35mm F2.8D and AF-S 24-70mm 2.8G). Neither are optical marvels by today's standards, but they still beat out kit lenses in terms of centre sharpness and minimum aperture values. They may not have nano coatings, but they do have SIC, that is found on any modern lens that lacks the nano coatings. No VR of course, but then neither do the modern versions.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • picturetedpictureted Posts: 153Member
    The 105/2.5 and 28/2.8 AIS lenses were among the finest lenses I've ever used. The 200/4 AIS and 20/4 with their 52mm filters and diminutive size were the perfect companions, The last version of the 500/8 reflex is interesting with it's close focusing - 1:2.5.

The 55/2.8 macro was also a favorite, but the sticking aperture blades most develop (including mine) makes it one to avoid.
    pictureted at flickr
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    I bought the 20mm 2.8 AIS, 28mm 2.8 AIS and 50mm 1.2 AIS brand new from B&H last year.

This is the wide to normal part of my landscape kit. They are not as good as the newer lenses wide open, but I am shooting landscapes at f/5.5 to 11 where they are just as sharp as the newer lenses. I also have the 14-24 2.8, but this is a specialty lens because it is better than the 14mm 2.8G at 14mm, the only instance I know of where a zoom beats a prime. It does not take filters and since I love to smooth out water, it is of limited use.

The three primes combined are also lighter than my 14-24, so that is nice.

The 20 is the weakest of the bunch. It is the least sharp and has complex distortion that is obvious on a flat horizon that is impossible to fix, so I am careful with that. The newer 20mm 1.8 would be an upgrade.

The 28 is amazing. One of the finest lenses of its day, it still is if you are shooting at f/5.6, where it is diffraction limited. A lens that is diffraction limited at f/5.6 is REALLY sharp. I would consider the 28mm 1.8G a downgrade.

My 50 1.2 is my favourite lens in my bag. I only use my 50 1.4G when I cannot do without auto-focus. This lens is Nikon's sharpest 50 above f/2.0. At 1.2 it is still pretty sharp, but it suffers from spherical aberration. I actually love this effect - with certain subjects I love the haze that the spherical abberation causes and intentionally try to create it. The lens's vignetting also adds to the effect. But if I stop down to f/2.0 and especially to f/8.0, it is a nearly flawless lens.

One thing I like about these lenses is the solid metal construction and manual focus feel. The 50 in particular excels in this area. It feels like a jewel and using the manual focus ring is pure joy!

I am probably going to buy two more this year to round out the package. I am thinking of the 24 2.8 AIS for sure. However I am torn between the 35 1.4 AIS and the 40mm f/2.0 Voightlander Ultron. I expect more of the same from the Nikon 35 plus some interesting effects wide open. However the Voigtlander is super sharp, has no coma, and has an even better manual focus than the Nikon 50. Hmmmm.......what would you guys do?
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    For some "old" Nikkor lenses, examples, go here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/fantinesfotos/sets/72157630044833773

You will find some images from a 300mm f/4.5 and an 85mm f/1.8 both from the mid 1960's. These were modified by John White in Ann Arbor, Michigan, a nice guy who does the job.
    http://www.aiconversions.com

I love the old manual lenses and the sharpness is remarkable. I have had these since new, but they look like they have been through the war...which was the way they were used.
    Msmoto, mod
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited June 2015
    When it comes to bangs for your buck the old F mount primes are hard to beat

I have a 55mm Micro NIkkor f2.8, in its day, an exceedly sharp lens
    and an absolute bargain on ebay, today for about 100 pounds
    but compare to the AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED it just does not cut the mustard

In the 60s my favorite portrait lens was the 105/2.5
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited June 2015
    TL;DR :-) I think there is too much info .. lets narrow down the scope a bit.. lets say if we have a new DX user and an new FX user with a kit lense .. what would you recommend as his/her first old lenses and why. Something to complement a kit lense say 18-55 DX or 24-85 FX. Somthing fun in photography that you cant do with a camera phone.

A) DX user
    1) Manual focus -
    2) AF/D lense

B) FX user
    1) Manual focus -
    2) AF/D lense
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited June 2015
    . what you you recommend as his/her first Manual focus and which would be his first AF/D lense
    I would not recommend an old Manual focus lens to anyone, unless they have a specific need for a particular lens and they can sell it again, at a profit or without losing too much money

Post edited by sevencrossing on
    Some examples and discussion can be found here:

http://nikonrumors.com/forum/topic.php?id=9682
    Nice old discussion !

• picturetedpictureted Posts: 153Member
    I didn't like any of my AIS lenses on DX. On FX the 105/2.5 and 28/2.8 still excel. As mentioned with the 28 - it's better stopped down (IMHO to 5.6-8) which is fine with landscapes. The 105/2.5 is still a wonderful portrait lens.

For portraits I also like the 85/2 AIS - I never liked the sharpness, but that made for more flattering portraits in some cases.

I always loved the fact that all my old lenses had 52mm filter threads.
    pictureted at flickr
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    @westendfoto I see the spherical aberration more pronounced on the d810 vs the Df.

For old lenses I have the 55 2.8 ais macro I bought it used and it works great.
    The 50mm 1.2 is my new favorite 50mm on the Df. On the D810 it is great at F2 as noted by Westendfoto

I like the build of the 1.2 it feel very solid and sturdy and the vignette, bokeh is rather pleasing to me.

I did want to get 200mm or 300mm ais lens but I didn't look more into when the 300f4e was announced.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Old lens. I have had some excellent lens over the past 47 years. Ones that stand out...old ones are:

50mm 1.4 - must have owned six of these over a 25 year span
    135mm F2.8 - early 70's edition
    55mm macro lens
    The 24mm F2.8 or F2 and the 35 F2 were great prime lens for me.

My 80-200mm lens was a tank and I loved that lens. Owned that one for 7 years and sold it for $150 less than I paid for it. Cost me just over $21 per year. In fact I recycled my 50mm lens every 5 to 6 years and thanks to the cost of inflation, I sold them for how much I paid for them or a few dollars less.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    I have been in love with the 20mm ais lens for quite a while now as its light and sharp on the D810. It goes everywhere with me :)
  • framerframer Posts: 491Member
    1st the 28 f2.8 AIS is always in my bag. I'll never sell it. It's gotten new life because I've found it to be near perfect lens for doing 360 panos.

2nd the 105 AIS for portraits and star/night photos on my D3s. The hard infinity stop just works.

3rd 15 AIS f3.5 just rocks for interior shots, no distortion.

4th It's rarely used but I got an old 16mm NAI that's AI'd f3.5 full frame fisheye supper sharp edge to edge at f11 from 18" to infinity. Perfect for shot from planes showing the cockpit plus view or car dash plus view or any extreme focus need.

All never sell put them in my grave.

framer
  • Spy_BlackSpy_Black Posts: 79Member
    edited June 2015
    I recently picked up a 50mm f/1.4 Nikkor S-C which, as far as I can deduct, was essentially never used. It has zero signs of wear on the finish, on the mounting flange, not a speck of dust on any of the glass surfaces, etc. It is absolutely spotless. I've bought several lenses now from Japanese sellers on ebay, and I have to say that I don't know what the Japanese do with the photo equipment they buy, but actually use it doesn't appear to be on their itinerary. :-) With shipping from Japan it cost me $120.

The S-C model was the first multicoated 50mm, using the same formula as the S model, and possibly the last of that formula, not sure if the K model that followed it was the same formula in the newer Ai-ish barrel, or the new formula used in the Ai model. The S-C was released for only one year from '73-'74. I bought this lens to replace my very shopworn S model, which I've had since my first F Photomic that I picked up used in, oddly enough, '74. Below you can see the two side-by-side. I got it because I'm very used to the look of this particular formula, and although newer optics are sharper and whatnot, this lens has a look that I like.

Post edited by Spy_Black on
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    ..and matching serial number on the box! :-)
    edited June 2015
    \:D/ looks gorgeous !

• PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    I have two old lenses a Sigma 17-35 2.8-4 D made one good one from two with fungus. $60 Works great on a D800 at 17mm for "wedding Landscapes" at +9 sharp and +2 on the contrast I dont see changing it as its light physically and on the pocket .
    Also the Tokina 24-200mm very cheap a spare really if I need to use the D800 for wedding photos.I sold the Nikon 24-120 ..not long enough..
    Terrible soft on purchase as it needed at least +30 on the AF tune but skimming 3 thou off the mount in the lathe and its a fine lens for $110
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Interesting, while searching through my "old lenses" ran into the instruction booklet for my old Canon 7. And, am looking forward to eventually having a digital camera from Nikon which looks about like this.

There is a lot to like about the build quality of the older gear. While it may not actually be "better" it certainly feels good in one's hands.
    Msmoto, mod
  • NikonMickNikonMick Posts: 41Member
    Hi again fellow 'glass fiends'

;)

I've mentioned the Fred Miranda forum devoted to old Nikon glass used with modern digi-bodies - but for those who are not aware, it's a lovely group with lots of interesting examples.

Begins at:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/929565

Currently ends at:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/929565/4845

Mick

• donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    Wow! Some really great photos there taken with "old" glass. Proves having old lenses is not the limiting factor to taking great photos.
  • CaMeRaQuEsTCaMeRaQuEsT Posts: 357Member
    Spy_Black: I have a much later copy of your single coated S that is almost in the same condition as you multi-coated one, it came with the F Photomic FTn "Apollo" I bought 2 years ago for $180 shipped that I needed to complete my collection of early F bodies. The lens has dreamy softness and flare, both of which work wonders at night on my D3300, especially for videos. For this lens, I crank-up the ISO, forget about sharpness and enjoy the grain. It is the fastest lens in my arsenal. Also, it's very heavy, absolutely doesn't balance well on my D3300. It's a perfect fit on my F and my F2, though.
    Strange you should mention the "Apollo" body. After I blew up my first camera, an F Photomic I bought used in a pawn shop around '73 or '74, I picked a another used F, an FTN body, around '76, and noticed the different winder and timer lever from the F2 body. Apparently I had purchased one of these "Apollo" bodies. I still have it. :-)
    edited June 2015
    Another nice little jewel I picked up is a 200mm f/4 Ai Nikkor. Yet another optic in immaculate condition from a Japanese seller, for $125 with shipping. As I said, have no idea what Japanese people actually do with this stuff. It has virtually no signs of wear on the finish, the mounting flange, and not a speck of dust on the elements. With the new manual focusing screen I just put in the D600 it's a joy to use. It's amazingly compact, you can see how tiny it is below on my D600. Optically good even wide open, by f/8 it's killer.

Post edited by Spy_Black on