Quality issues with new 70-200mm?

KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
edited June 2015 in Nikon Lenses
I am writing this on behalf of a friend, who have now been through two NIKKOR AFS 70-200/2,8 VRII ED G NANO, and had problems with both. He has a brand new D810, and have had no problems with other lenses, and have actually been borrowing a 70-200mm, which has worked fantastically.

He orders a new NIKKOR AFS 70-200/2,8 VRII ED G NANO, gets it sent to Greenland, only to find dust inside the lens, as well as severe backfocussing. It was so much it was not possible to fine adjust it away. He sends it back to the vendor, who promptly ships him a new one, only to find the exact same backfocussing problems. No dust this time though...

He is now sending this one back as well, and will of course get a new lens, but I wonder if anyone else have quality problems with this specific lens? Personally I do not have the 70-200mm, but amongst my (many) lenses and cameras I have never experienced such issues.

Comments

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    As the lens has been around for six years, if this were a problem with the lens, we would have heard of it by now. Mine has no problems.

Are these lenses from a Nikon dealer, or other source? Dust inside, if this is in between the elements, is some huge problem and would suggest this is truly an aberration from the usual run of lenses. Did he check the serial number and make certain his original lens was not simply returned to him?

To have two lenses with the same issues...strange.

Hope it gets worked out satisfactorily.
    Msmoto, mod
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    I thought it was an updated version, with the nano treatment... and the VRII.

The lenses are from a Nikon dealer who actually sells a lot of Nikon gear. We didn't check the serial numbers, so that is of course possible. The backfocussing issue wasn't as bad on the second lens, but still pronounced.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    The Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II was released in 2009. It has ED glass, and nano coating. It's generally considered a bad-a$$ lens, worth every yen, and people still switch to Nikon just because of this lens.
    I'd order from a different dealer. Sounds like they shipped you the floor model, twice.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    OK, maybe the Nano coating was added in July of 2010....the reviews on Nikon USA are starting in this month.
    Msmoto, mod
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    I go to great lengths to ensure that I don't buy used equipment. I am fairly confident with B&H. For lenses in Canada, I use a dealer that has access to pro equipment but does not carry it in stock. Then I am reasonably certain that it is new. Unfortunately, I took their word that 3 SB-910s I purchased from them were unopened. When they arrived in the store, shipped from other locations, they all had Duracell batteries in them. Grr.....they re-ordered them direct from Nikon for me. I will have to be careful with the D820 when it comes out, as they carry D810s in stock.
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    In this case Photografica in Copenhagen is a relatively renowned Nikon dealer, and though they sell both new and used, in this case it seemed packed as new. We didn't check serial numbers, and I certainly will next time if I hear about a problem with new gear.
  • rschnaiblerschnaible Posts: 308Member
    Killbob, I have that lens and it is my favorite. I have not had any issue with this lens since I purchased it. I think sending back the lens as your friend has is the best bet. Depending on the price, you may want to purchase direct from Nikon to eliminate any possibility of a "used unit" being sent. Good luck, let us know what happens.
  • henrik1963henrik1963 Posts: 567Member
    @Killerbob: Dust inside the lens sounds like the lens was used in a dusty place as the 70-200 does "inhale/exhale" air during operation. It sounds like it was a used lens.
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    edited July 2015
    When this lens was introduced there was an uproar about seeing what appeared like specs of dust bobbles in the lens Apparently this was not dust but the way Nikon had manufactured the internal part of the lens, There was no fault on the lens. I am sure if you look back at NR reports you will see quite a lot of discussion on this matter.
    Post edited by paulr on
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits