Nikon 1 AW1 / FT1 ?

KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
edited June 2015 in Nikon DSLR cameras
My wife is getting the Nikon 1 AW1 camera kit, with the 11-27.5mm lens. She is not quite ready for a DSLR, and has outused the iPhone:)

So, I am contemplating also getting the FT1 Mount Adapter, so she can use my professional F-Mount lenses. However, I haven't seen any reviews on how that is working out, and I wonder if anyone here have any experience with this combination? Pictures would be great...
Post edited by Killerbob on

Comments

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    The FT-1 is essentially a converter ring, it has no optics, but it does pull through the metering and autofocus. With some lenses it will only use the center focus point. Remember the 2.7 crop factor. For telephoto lenses this is great (200mm = 540mm). It means that most of the WA lenses are also Telephoto ;-)

In general though it works exactly as you would expect it to work.
  • esquiloesquilo Posts: 71Member
    Only Nikon AF-S lenses works with the FT-1. Older AF och AI-s lenses does not work. Neither does third-party lenses, at least not my Sigma 10-20 or Sigma 150-500.

Also, the ergonomics of a small and light Nikon1 camera paired with a large f-mount lens sucks. A monopod or a tripod is almost a must, at least with the AW1 or J4. The somewhat larger V3 probably works better because it has a grip.
    Nikon D7100 with Sigma 10-20 mm, Nikon 16-85 mm, Nikon 70-300 mm, Sigma 150-500 mm, Nikon 28 mm f/1.8G and Nikon 50 mm f/1.8G.
    Nikon1 J3 with 10-30 mm and 10 mm f/2.8
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    We used the AW1/80-400mm combo whilst on vacation, and I think, rather successfully. Actually the small form factor of the AW1 works well on that big lens, it doesn't feel like a camera, more like an attachment. The pictures are a bit flat, but that's because my wife needs to get to know the camera settings.
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    To Killerbob: We use the Nikon 1 AW 1 everyday at work. It is an amazing camera that can handle tough and wet. I prefer to use the Nikon D7100 and the new 16-80 lens but it is the Nikon 1 AW 1 that goes to work everyday. The video on it is good also. I do find the LCD tough to use in bright light. Underwater the LCD really works. But a Go Pro is less money and remarkable and very watertight. The AW1/80-400mm combo Killerbob mentions I know nothing about but would like to know more!!
  • adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    I have the V1 and the FT1 and I'm more than happy with it. Quite often I use this combo with manual nikkor 50/1.2 or with 300/4 af-s to get the reach. In both situations the results are phenomenal.

London Big Ben
    V1+FT1+N50/1.2
  • Parke1953Parke1953 Posts: 456Member
    adamz very nice. I haven't been there in a long time.