New 500 sharper than new 600?

snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
edited July 2015 in Nikon Lenses
Looking at the mtf charts the new AF-S 500mm f/4E looks clearly sharper than the AF-S 600mm f/4E. Is this to be expected or is it a little bit strange? I've been thinking about buying the new 600mm lense (when/if I get the financial possibility) but I don't want it to be less sharp than the other long prime lenses.
Post edited by snakebunk on

Comments

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    MTF charts....IMO only a very rough guideline...if one looks at the MTF Chart of the Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4, it looks no where near as sharp as the long Nikkors....but, my understanding of MTF is that the longer the focal length, the better it looks, probably due to the fact a much smaller area is covered with long lenses.

With this in mind, look at the MTF chart of the latest version of the 300mm f/2.8 Nikkor. My guess is everyone who shoots this lens will tell you it is phenomenally sharp.....but on paper, wow, almost soft if one depends on the MTF chart.

The very small differences in all the Nikkor lenses above 300mm, 2.8, 400/2.8, 500/4, 600/4, 800/5.6 are IMO of no significance.....and, I find the "old" 400/2.8 with the TC-14EII, TC-20EIII, is so sharp as to make an improved,went academic, not necessarily something one can see.
    Thus, I like the idea of the 400 + TC's, more versatile, albeit a bit heavier.

Please note, it is very early in the morning and my opinion may change before noon.... :))
    Msmoto, mod
  • proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    The new super teles look very impressive, although the cost is a bit staggering. I'm hoping that this may represent, over the longer term, a chance for those of us lusting for more reach a way to pick up a decent deal on the G version.
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    I guess we have to wait for the reviews to be sure of how sharp these lenses are. Of course they are both very sharp but if you spend that kind of money you want the best. Also I think small differences can be important when used with a converter.

I also wonder if Sigma can match this kind of performance at a lower price. I think it is time for them to apply their Art magic to long prime lenses.

It is wait and see as always :).
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    The falloff is away from the center. Both are incredibly sharp in the center. The falloff is negligible, get the FL you want/need. As msmoto is saying, don't put too much stock in just the MTF.
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    Ok, thanks for the input!
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    edited July 2015
    Looks like that was true for the G series. The optical formula for the 600mm must be harder. However nobody was complaining about the 600G, other than the weight. I agree that the G series will be a (relative) bargain on the used market after the E starts shipping.

500E:
    500G:

600E:
    600G:
    Post edited by Ironheart on
  • MaxBerlinMaxBerlin Posts: 86Member
    These new lenses are without a doubt the only way to go if you want to get a close up shot of a nice pair of large boobies.

My non-commercial blog:

https://sonyvnikon.wordpress.com/