Free D800 Maintenance Certificate

SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
edited July 2015 in Nikon DSLR cameras
I just received an e-mail from Nikon for free maintenance (inspection and repairs other than damage caused by the usual) of my early D800. It includes shipping to and from Nikon. Unfortunately it applies to a D800 that was damaged in a long drop from rigging, so there is no point in sending it in.

Did anyone else get the e-mail?

Text below"

We are pleased to inform you that you have been selected to participate in Nikon Inc.’s Free Maintenance Service Initiative for your Nikon D800 camera, Serial No. 3000xxx.

Why is Nikon providing this Free Maintenance Service Initiative to you? Because as a valued Nikon DSLR camera owner, Nikon wants to learn more from you about how Nikon can better meet the needs and preferences of its DSLR owners concerning the service of its Nikon DSLR cameras. We hope that you will take advantage of this Free Maintenance Service Initiative and will also help us by completing the Nikon Consumer Service Survey at Take Survey Here.

What will this Free Maintenance Service include? This Free Maintenance Service will include the free inspection of your camera and its operation by a Nikon trained technician and if Nikon’s trained technician identifies any service necessary or desirable to perform on your Nikon D800 camera, we will perform that service free of charge to you (excluding normal warranty exclusions such as misuse, abuse, alteration, negligence or accident). We will also clean and return your Nikon D800 camera at no charge to you.

How do you take advantage of this Free Maintenance Service Initiative? You can take advantage of this Free Maintenance Service by sending your Nikon D800 camera to us using the prepaid shipping label, available at Print Label Here, together with a printed copy of the below Free Maintenance Service Initiative Certificate, before January 15, 2016.

Barring any unique circumstances, you can expect your Nikon D800 camera returned to you in about five (5) to six (6) business days after our receipt.

Thank you for being a valued Nikon DSLR camera owner and participating in Nikon’s Free Maintenance Service Initiative.

Yours truly,

Cory Devereaux, Associate General Manager; Operations,
Service & Customer Relations
Nikon Inc.
Jack Roberts
"Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy

Comments

• proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    No, but I had mine repaired last September for a broken aperture arm. I assume they did all of that during that repair.
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    Thom has a write up on this here:
    http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/what-to-make-of-nikons-free.html

I would like it if they allowed any camera to be sent in for a free maintenance clean up. If they are serious about good will, where is the offers for the other camera owners?
  • TriShooterTriShooter Posts: 219Member
    @proudgeek. Interesting as I had to get my D800 repaired for a broken aperture arm which I was my fault. I picked up a long gone TC-16A with one of screws not sufficiently tightened, instead of a TC16A modified to work with the current camera models as a manual focus auto-focus assist for my older ais telephoto lenses. The unmodified TC16A jammed which was definitely my fault for not paying attention.
  • proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    Yeah, mine was pilot error too. I wasn't careful while putting my TC20 on. I would add that Nikon was pretty cool about fixing it under the terms of the warranty, even though it had expired 3 weeks prior.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Has anyone knowledge if this offer is for the original owner only, or could it include used D800/E bodies purchased from the original owner?
    Msmoto, mod
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    edited July 2015
    Looks like D700 owners are also getting this deal. My take on it is that this is Nikon's way of getting folks to fill out a detailed survey, as well as a gesture of good will for customers. Perhaps they are trying to repair their Customer Service reputation? Msmoto, I think they must be pulling emails from product registrations, so if you have registered the product, you might get one. Also might be worth calling or emailing them ;-)
    Post edited by Ironheart on
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    I got an email last night from Nikon on the Service advisory on my D750 so I agree with Ironheart they are pulling emails from registered owners. My D750 will be at the service center tomorrow.

Tommie, bet second owners are out of luck.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    I bet not, if you have registered with Nikon. You didn't send them a copy of your receipt for the D750, right? You just went on line and gave them the serial number and purchase date.
  • nek4lifenek4life Posts: 123Member
    I was curious about this too. If it's never been registered before and is registered under your account I don't see why you wouldn't get one.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    edited July 2015
    4300 D800 recalled and only 100 D700 and 100 D7100 looks like the latter is a cover up for the first a;nd I have not heard of any recalls in the UK ...

Why would you want to send a perfectly working camera for some bored M**on with a row of 20 in frront of him to dismantle ??? bit like taking your car to a dealer and it comes back with extra faults ....
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    edited July 2015
    4300 D800 recalled and only 100 D700 and 100 D7100 looks like the latter is a cover up for the first a;nd I have not heard of any recalls in the UK ...

Why would you want to send a perfectly working camera for some bored M**on with a row of 20 in frront of him to dismantle ??? bit like taking your car to a dealer and it comes back with extra faults ....
    Such negativity @Pistnbroke! :D I have only had the best results from Nikon in Kingston and if that were not the case, I would certainly say so.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    I bet not, if you have registered with Nikon. You didn't send them a copy of your receipt for the D750, right? You just went on line and gave them the serial number and purchase date.
    You are correct Ironheart. However, some where in the details doesn't it say the warranty IS NOT TRANSFERABLE?
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    This isn't a warranty repair.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    As I see it it is an inducement or reward to take part in a marketplace survey. The rest is some kind of paranoia fed rumour mongering.
    Always learning.
    For reasons I do not know, the original purchaser of the D800E I currently own, did not receive any recall notice or other service advisory. And, it was one of the very first shipped.

So, Nikon must know something we do not in regards to which bodies have issues.....oh well...

And,while I have cleaned the sensor a time or two, i do not find any current issues in my D800E, other than it is not worth beans shooting fast action.........compared to my D4.... :)) :((
    Msmoto, mod
    Msmoto, was your unit already in the service center, either by you or the previous owner?
    edited July 2015
    Not that I am aware....and I see him weekly.... I have not seen any actually issues with this D800E, maybe they looked over the "E" model more carefully pre-delivery.

My body has only 11,000 clicks on it.....essentially new when I purchased it as the previous owner now has the D810.
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • roombarobotroombarobot Posts: 201Member

I hadn't registered my D800E before these notices went out, so I registered it and emailed service to ask about the maintenance email. They replied that already knew about my camera, because of a support question I asked earlier and that mine was not eligible for the maintenance. I don't know what their criteria are, however.

• autofocusautofocus Posts: 625Member
    Well I finally returned home and sent my D800 off to Nikon via the Certificate. Shipped on Thursday last week and returned today. Can't see anything different other than clean sensor and updated firmware. Oh well, it was free so no problem. I sent my 14-24mm lens in to repair a broken lens hood. I dropped it last year and broke the petal off. The crack extended all the way under the focus ring. Lens still worked but I was afraid of moister getting inside so bit the bullet and sent it to Nikon. $651.00... sheesh! Much more and I could just buy a new lens.