What monitor for my nMP? Photography is the focus...

KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
edited July 2015 in Nikon DSLR cameras
I am currently using two monitors on my nMP, an Apple Cinema Display, and an Apple Thunderbolt Display. They are both good, but unfortunately not 4K...

So I want to get myself a new monitor and want to know what you guys are using? I am simply looking for the best way to display the 8K pictures I am shooting - is that too much to ask?

Thus far I have homed in on the following;

Samsung 32" Ultra HD Professional LED Monitor - U32D970Q
ASUS 28" LED-Lit 4K - PB287Q
Eizo ColorEdge - CG318-4K
NEC 32" MultiSync - PA322UHD

I know there are now 5K Dell monitors on the market, but not even my nMP can run that one natively:( I'd like to continue using my Apple Thunderbolt Display in addition to the main screen, for WebCam purposes...

Suggestions?

Comments

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    FWIW killer, I have the NEC which is, by all accounts a pretty well regarded screen. I also have an HP screen. I calibrate them both using a colourmunki and find that the NEC has an unshakeable magenta cast. I don't get it but the HP is spot on.

Just saying.
    Always learning.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    I like the Samsung. nMP?
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    nMP = New Mac Pro. Acronyms suck when people aren't used to them. Even took me, an Apple guy, a few seconds to figure out what on earth he was talking about.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    lol - we Mac heads sometimes get in our own zone...

I wish Apple could get their head around monitors as well as watches, iPhones, iPads, etc., as their best offering is the iMac 27" which has a marvelous 5K display. If I could run that iMac in Target Display Mode I would, but that won't work on the 5K iMacs. For now though, Apple does not have a display using that panel...

There are also an array of 4K Dell monitors competing for attention, but I have not seen one in the wild...
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    Eizo is the best of the best, but you will pay for it. Is that the one with the built in self-calibrator?
    edited July 2015
    Eizo is making a few 4k monitors, but you'll need a lot of cash to land one of those beasts. The older 27" model (2560x1440) is over $3000. I don't even want to know how much the 4k versions cost. If you want a cheap Eizo, you can nab a 23" 1080p monitor for $900. ;)

@WestEndFoto Eizo has a pro line "FlexScan" without and a Colour Managed "Colour Edge" line, some of which come with built in colour calibration hardware.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    Yes, it is the Colour Edge that I was thinking. The 27" is about $2,500 at B&H.
    edited July 2015
    Yes, it is the Colour Edge that I was thinking. The 27" is about $2,500 at B&H.
    That's $3200 Cdn. Yes, I always think in Canadian dollars, being a Canadian who sadly earns Canadian dollars, not US dollars. ;)
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    I have decided on the Dell UP2715K, which is a 5K monitor. It will work with my nMP, albeit in dual DP cable configuration. With the two Apple displays, it'll make for a nice setup.

With a 5K screen, I will be able to display a D810 image with only 30% downsizing:) Think about it, on a standard 2560x1440 monitor you are squeezing a 7360x4912 by more than 65%. On a 4K monitor that improves to 50%, and on a 5K monitor to 30%.
  • gmckeowngmckeown Posts: 5Member
    The Dell monitors with Premier Color are very good. You will need an X-Rite i1Display Pro if you don't have one already. Dell has they own version of the calibration software and the LUT doesn't work with other measuring tools.
    The Dell monitors with Premier Color are very good. You will need an X-Rite i1Display Pro if you don't have one already. Dell has they own version of the calibration software and the LUT doesn't work with other measuring tools.
    The X-Rite i1Display Pro, isn't that a Lenovo tool? I do see it on Dell's homepage, but the vendor I usually use, describe it as a Lenovo tool... Also, would I be able to use that for other monitors than the Dell one?

• rschnaiblerschnaible Posts: 308Member
    I have the NEC 32" and love it... well worth the money and the built in calibration is very useful