Would you know what 0.95 DOF and inexpensive IQ looks like with a 50mm ?

Comments

• donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    Very interesting, especially the use of f0.95 for wedding photography. He got some great shots there but to always shoot wide open at a wedding? Seems crazy to me. Especially when the lens is MF. One must have a lot of out of focus shots. Seems to me it would be far better to shoot with a f1.4 AF lens if you want lots of bokeh.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    Bokeh will vary due to factors beside the lens. You can get good bokeh at 2.8 if the background is far enough away.

I doubt his clients will notice the nuances. They are not even technical nuances, but artistic nuances.

Photographers are always trying to differentiate themselves. I think this is just his way.
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    The photographs look really nice in my mind.
    They certainly do look good. But I am saying that the differences in composition will often matter more than a stop. You can also get a really narrow depth of field with a longer lens.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    IME shallow DoF is OK for a couple or a few (duplicated) 'special' shots, but the bride (and her mother) usually want to see the trees and flowers or other people in the background as a reminder of the day, not a creamy mush of bokeh.
    Always learning.
    IME shallow DoF is OK for a couple or a few (duplicated) 'special' shots, but the bride (and her mother) usually want to see the trees and flowers or other people in the background as a reminder of the day, not a creamy mush of bokeh.
    Yes, we must not forget what the client wants.
  • haroldpharoldp Posts: 984Member
    When I was doing wedding photography , I always had to remember that the clients memories were more important than my art .

.... H
    D810, D3x, 14-24/2.8, 50/1.4D, 24-70/2.8, 24-120/4 VR, 70-200/2.8 VR1, 80-400 G, 200-400/4 VR1, 400/2.8 ED VR G, 105/2 DC, 17-55/2.8.
    Nikon N90s, F100, F, lots of Leica M digital and film stuff.

• PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    edited July 2015
    Yes all very well if you can get the couple for a few hours in the right location .What do you do when the groom suffers from bored groom syndrome after 15 min? I am sure they both co operate well when they are pi$$ed. Will they aperciate the photos no ....do the average couple even appreciate what a wedding photographer does.
    Our australian friend would have done well at my wedding yesterday ..two lesbians both in wedding dresses ..fabulus think of the artistic shots that two dresses provided.......

Shame about both being in wheel chairs ..now try going arty on that ..

The ideas are great for 1 wedding in a hundred and are you pouring profit down the lens ...
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited July 2015

Yes, we must not forget what the client wants.
    , I always had to remember that the clients memories were more important than my art .

The ideas are great for 1 wedding in a hundred and are you pouring profit down the lens ...
    Nice to hear some sensible advice from people who know what they are talking about

If you are new to wedding photography, forget the arty farty stuff and make sure you capture the day
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    edited July 2015
    They certainly do look good. But I am saying that the differences in composition will often matter more than a stop. You can also get a really narrow depth of field with a longer lens.
    Yes, I actually think the dof in this article is similar to my standard bird photographs (with 500mm lense). Maybe that is why I like it.

Examples of dof in two of my bird photographs:

Post edited by snakebunk on
  • MaxBerlinMaxBerlin Posts: 86Member
    Sincere apologies to all. My point was that these 0.95 50mm photos don't at all appear to be as described.

1. The resolution is too high (even in these compressed and downscaled photos)
    2. The DOF is way too deep - the wedding photos are all hand held, in low light with moving subjects.
    Compare that with the static beer bottle photos and dof in good light, and with a tripod.

I took some f 1.4 shots with a 55mm lens and had way more blur/bokeh (photos are on my blog) than what is shown in the wedding photos.

I doubt that an inexpensive lens can shoot that well at 0.95 (I've had very good 1.2 lenses and they don't do that well. And I doubt that the shooter is at that f stop. Looks more like 2.8+ to me.

My non-commercial blog:

https://sonyvnikon.wordpress.com/
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited July 2015
    @MaxBerlin .. that was my impression as well .. but I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt to the poster.. and will try and note if other 0.95 aperture lenses have similar images to show. :-) grains of salt and stuff like that .. :-)
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

HF - I'd like to give benefit of doubt but there is little to give in this case. The resolution is too high for 0.95 and the DOF is too deep at the same time (all of this hand held on moving subjects). The whole article is a sales pitch for the lens. If $800 0.95 lenses really performed that well, Zeiss, Sigma et al would never sell another lens.
    My non-commercial blog:

found a review of the Mitacon lense .. it think it may be what was in the posting http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2014/08/04/the-mitakon-50-0-95-lens-review-on-the-sony-a7s/
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

Enlightening! Thank you. What I see there is that the lens seems capable of the sharpness (hard to tell without full size images) but the photo series puts the nail in the coffin that the wedding photos were shot wide open.

My non-commercial blog:

edited July 2015
    Yeah .. the DOF seems not "fat" enough for F0.95. Maybe it was taken from a farther distance and cropped 2x or more.. ( the 100% crop seems to show this scenario )
    Post edited by heartyfisher on