The new Nikon 16-80 N DX VR lens

DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
edited July 2015 in Nikon Lenses
I have used the new Nikon 16-80 N DX VR lens for long enough to know it is a real keeper. I posted some first photos on the Nikon USA website. It is NOT a small lens. The lens hood is quite large. The focus is rapid and exact. I did all my initial shooting in fairly low light as that is what the conditions were. I am already convinced I will use the lens where I am unwilling to compromise on quality. For work photos and field use where sawdust and other hazards exist, I'll be still using the Nikon D3200 and the 18-55 lens and a Nikon 1 AW 1 with the UW kit lens. This is a sharp lens.
Post edited by spraynpray on
Tagged:

Comments

• JonMcGuffinJonMcGuffin Posts: 312Member
    I'm not surprised. What I'm curious about is whether this lens is better than the FF 24-120 F4. That's widely regarded as a kind of "mediocore" pro lens, a lens that kind of meets the minimum for quality.
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    edited July 2015
    I did use the 24-120 lens for a couple of weeks. I tried it on my D700. I sold the D700 as it did not have video which I NEED. I shoot a lot of stills and find video needs tripod steadiness most of the time. I prefer the D7100 way over the D700. I also used the D750 for awhile and was pretty impressed with that. However I did NOT have the 24-120 F4 available when I was shooting the D750. I finally decided that FX cameras answered nothing for me as to be honest bigger I find VERY bothersome most of the time. I can't even tell you how many Go Pros are owned by my farm. They are pretty good for what they are. I find myself still using Nikons when much of the imagery taken in our farming operations (which are very diverse) is done with other stuff. On any given day the Nikon 1 AW 1 is on the work truck. Wish I could give you a fair assessment of the 24-120. Still my reaction to BOTH of those lens is THEY ARE BIG! Personally I want the cameras as small and light as possible. To me bigger is a liability. HOWEVER at some point smaller means quality compromise. If I had to pick a lens that has impressed me greatly for what it is then it would be the 18-55 VR Nikkor. Quite little, and often good enough. One thing I keep running into shooting D3200 with the 18-55 is the TINY focus points.
    Post edited by DaveyJ on
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Why not post this here -> http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/4480/nikkor-af-s-dx-16-80mm-f2-8-4e-ed-vr
    Do we need two threads for one lens? I'm glad you love it!
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    edited July 2015
    I think the thread you suggest is OK. My starting the thread was based on contacts I have had on facebook, etc. Right now many are looking for reviews. The existing thread was dealing with quite a bit of speculation. Do not think that I consider this lens to be the perfect lens. I do not! Many drift towards the big is better problem and I do not for one agree with that slant at all. There is a huge reason that cell phones are taking over a lot of photography. Convenience and smaller size has great appeal. If quality can be held in smaller gear, I would vastly prefer that myself.
    Post edited by DaveyJ on
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    edited July 2015
    Ironheart is right, this thread is a too similar to what should be on the above thread
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
This discussion has been closed.