Screen Protectors

niemeyjtniemeyjt Posts: 64Member
edited July 2015 in General Discussions
Well, I have the D7200 and the first new lens. I have always bought a UV / Skylight 1A filter for the lens and did again - but what about the camera? There seem to be a variety of screen protectors - both for the back and the top displays.

What do others do? Are the screen sufficiently tough not to need them? Any recommended makes (or avoids)?

Comments

• PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    I buy one for a D800 cut off the tabs and stick it on with a very small amount of clear silicone...the thin glass ones are useless ..My wife has smashed 2....though I suppose she could have smashed the main screen which is not replaceable as it was on the old D80/90 etc
  • jonnyapplejonnyapple Posts: 131Moderator
    edited July 2015
    I buy screen protectors for iPads, then cut them down to the size of the screen. I prefer wet apply screen protectors, and the company I have used is xtreme guard, but I've always been able to find 90% off coupons. I use their protectors for my phone, as well.

The one I would say to avoid is the plastic cover that comes with the camera. I once got a piece of sand/grit stuck behind it and by the time I realized it my glass was scratched up pretty badly around the edges.

Edit: here's a coupon link: http://m.retailmenot.com/view/xtremeguard.com
    Post edited by jonnyapple on
    CC is welcome. DC is also welcome when I deserve it.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Although the screen I had on my D7000 was supposedly almost bullet-proof, I never put it to the test. I prefer to think I have them there to prevent scratches rather than impacts, but if it works, that is great. I buy GGS off ebay and they are chrystal clear, gorilla glass tough and cheap.

I never sully my lenses with 1A's or any other 'protector', I prefer to leave that to the lens hood.
    Always learning.
  • WesleyWesley Posts: 67Member
    D7200 doesn't come with the hard plastic one?
    D700: 24-70 2.8, 85 1.8G
    D3100: 18-55
    A7II: 16-35 F4, 55 1.8, 70-200 F4
  • niemeyjtniemeyjt Posts: 64Member
    Mine didn't - just a thin polythene protective film that won't last very long.
  • jonnyapplejonnyapple Posts: 131Moderator
    They may have gone away from those for the reasons I mentioned. It was my D300 that scratched up like that.
    CC is welcome. DC is also welcome when I deserve it.
    A lot of them come with the 'orrid plastic ones, but I never fit them because they look so cheap and don't last very long.
    Always learning.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Nikon cost cutting, none of the newer bodies have included screen protectors anymore.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Well, I have the D7200 and the first new lens. I have always bought a UV / Skylight 1A filter for the lens and did again - but what about the camera? There seem to be a variety of screen protectors - both for the back and the top displays.

What do others do? Are the screen sufficiently tough not to need them? Any recommended makes (or avoids)?
    Welcome to NRF. I have had great success with these two LCD covers and have no concerns recommending either one.
    1. D7100 - I purchased the Vello Glass Screen Protector for Nikon DF, D7100, D4, D600, D610, D750, D800/D810 in September 2013. Vello # ND800. It's a ultra-thin optical glass with 6 layers of protective material and most important, it blocks UV rays. I got mine at B&H for $14.95. It's a a sheet of 0.02" (0.5mm) ultra-thin optical glass. It does a great job in protecting your display screen from dirt, scratches, sweat and oily fingerprints. It was easy to install and remove. TIP: Turn on your camera and hit the play back button to display the last image you took a picture of. That allows you to precisely see the top, bottom and sides of the LCD. Then when you apply the Vello Glass protector you apply it in the correct location. I installed mine in September of 2013 and it's great, easy to clean, and it does the job.

2.In November 2014 I purchased a D750 and upgraded and purchased the Vello Glass LCD screen protector ULTRA for certain Nikon LCD monitors. The GSPU-ND800 was $24.95. Mine was purchased from B&H and comes with a microfiber cleaning cloth, wet wipe, and 1 year warranty. The Vello Ultra protector is 0.02" thick. It's static adhesion method leaves NO sticky residue behind on your screen. Multiple layers of protective material shield your display from dirt, scratches, sweat, smears, and light impact. The shatter-proof glass blocks UV rays while allowing visible light in. It was easy to install without trapping any air bubbles.

3. Bought the wife a D5500 in February and purchased a Vello Glass Screen protector, $14.95 version. I was the first to buy this from B&H and it took a salesman to confirm which model fits the D5500...turns out its the same as the D5300. No surprise to me.

Okay so based upon my experience of having three on three different cameras I HIGHLY RECOMMEND Vello Glass Screen Protectors. I don't like the cheap plastic ones, buy the glass models. They are easy to clean and resist some dirt. Never have broken one either.

I really loved the plastic clip on ones used by Nikon on D300 & D90 and many more cameras and was concerned about buying the Vello ones because of the adhesive or static clean on the more expensive model. Either one is excellent and I have not had an issue with either one. IThey are so easy to clean and the cheaper one can be removed with a hair dryer. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    Some useful info here. I have never protected the top LCD of the camera, but I find it really nice that Nikon supplied the D800 line with the BM-12 protectors even if they are nasty to get off when you get a bit of dust underneath them. Putting them on is fine, but get a hair under the screen and look out! >:)

So Photobug, the D750 and D5500 did not come with the Nikon LCD protector or did you just upgrade it to something better from Vello?
    D7100 and D750 does not come with screen protector.
    Always learning.
    edited July 2015
    Stop Chimping then you dont need to look at the screen ....take pictures dont chimp.
    I remember one famous wedding photographer who when taking on a new assistant covered the LCD with gaffer tape..stop chimping take pictures thats what your paid for !!!
    I never had any problems with the horrible plastic screen though have smashed many FOTGA glass covers .
    I also use the silicone skin as I just hang one camera over each shoulder by a strap and 30cent fishing swivel on one lug
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited July 2015
    Stop Chimping
    I feel a new thread is needed :)

http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/4588/chimping#Item_2
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
    and maybe one on fishing equipment at weddings ...I use fishing swivels .fishing stools and fishing rods at my weddings .....
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    and maybe one on fishing equipment at weddings ...I use fishing swivels .fishing stools and fishing rods at my weddings .....
    http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/3062/favorite-and-most-hated-accessory-whats-yours/p1
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Some useful info here. I have never protected the top LCD of the camera, but I find it really nice that Nikon supplied the D800 line with the BM-12 protectors even if they are nasty to get off when you get a bit of dust underneath them. Putting them on is fine, but get a hair under the screen and look out! >:)
    So Photobug, the D750 and D5500 did not come with the Nikon LCD protector or did you just upgrade it to something better from Vello?
    @spraynpray is correct...those cameras DO NOT come with screen protectors. IMHO I like the Vello glass better than the Nikon solution used on their older DSLRs. Although I always carried spares on the older bodies, I did not replace them until the scratches got so bad it interfered with evaluating images on the LCD screen or reading the histogram.

I was concerned with the Vello glass fitting on the D5500 due to the pivoting screen but it was a nice fit and did not reduce the image. That was my primary concern.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    edited July 2015
    Pistnbroke, except for the price it sounds like you would enjoy using the Leica M60 :) I have a Luigi half case on my M9p that comes with a buttoned up LCD flap cover. Prevents chimping pretty good when I feel so inclined. For landscapes with filters and bracketing though, I chimp away usually on my D810...
    Post edited by kanuck on