HELP—D810 won't record video

bigeaterbigeater Posts: 36Member
edited July 2015 in D6x0/D7x0/D8x0
The other day at an important job my 13-month-old D810 suddenly refused to record video but it would shoot stills. I called Nikon USA's helpdesk and we went through a checklist for about 20 minutes switching lenses and cards, resetting menus, two-button resets, shutting the camera off for various periods, and nothing helped. Then about 10 minutes after I hung up with them, the camera suddenly started recording video just fine. Same thing happened today, but I was able to get it going again by setting the shutter button to record video.
So...has anyone else had this happen to them? And does it really require that the camera take a trip to Nikon repair?

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited July 2015
    Have you been accidentally knocking the liveview switch from video mode to still mode by any chance?

The other possibility is that the record button is wearing out, but that is just a guess.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • bigeaterbigeater Posts: 36Member
    No accidental knocking. Today I reset my custom shooting menus and that seems to have fixed it, but I would like to figure out what caused it before my next job. I'm a little nervous about it.
  • bigeaterbigeater Posts: 36Member
    I think I may have found the solution: Heat. The two times it's happened to me were shooting in extremely hot situations where the camera was either sitting in a hot car or out in the direct sun for a while.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    The camera won't record video if the sensor is too hot. It should throw a warning.
  • WalColWalCol Posts: 3Member
    Mine is doing the same, 23 months old and I rarely use the video mode. Found that if I remove the battery or lens or tripod mount it sometimes starts recording. If that doesn't work a gentle tap seems to get it going. Heat, use, card type, or settings is not the issue. It went to the repairer today under a warranty.
    Did anyone get this looked at? Wondering if something has come loose internally and if it's due to design or manufacturing.
    Any advise appreciated.
  • MegapixelSchnitzelMegapixelSchnitzel Posts: 185Member
    Maybe mine won't either. I've never tried it!
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    Try a default setting this sometimes works.
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    bigeater said:

I think I may have found the solution: Heat. The two times it's happened to me were shooting in extremely hot situations where the camera was either sitting in a hot car or out in the direct sun for a while.

Nikon recommends against leaving any of their cameras in direct sun...but you know that. That would explain why it won't record.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Ironheart said:

The camera won't record video if the sensor is too hot. It should throw a warning.

I agree with you, you would expect a warning message in the LCD finder.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |