Confirmed: Sony A7r ii still 11+7 bit files, Nikon still true 14 bit.

MaxBerlinMaxBerlin Posts: 86Member
edited July 2015 in Nikon DSLR cameras
Sony's introduced a number of innovations into their latest flagship but didn't bother with the most critical issue that effects every single photo and file taken with the camera.

Sony RAW files posted on the internet today all show file sizes indicative of Sony's 11+7 lossy compression scheme.

My non-commercial blog:

https://sonyvnikon.wordpress.com/

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Did we really need another new post about this? Was the last thread on this subject not good enough? 8-|
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • safyresafyre Posts: 113Member
    Honestly who cares? I know plenty of professional photographers that make a lot of money and their camera of choice is from the Sony A7 series. I guess gearheads will be gearheads.
  • JonMcGuffinJonMcGuffin Posts: 312Member
    Yes, truly. I mean, they acknowledge they don't provide true 14-bit support and you made a point not long ago that they took this off all their marketing materials and website, etc. What is the point in driving this home so much? This is a non-issue for 99.8% of uses. If somebody snapped a picture from a D810 and then an A7Rii and printed it out on a 24x36" print and showed them to you I'm 99.99% certain you couldn't identify which is which with 100% certainty.

It's a limitation of the camera/software of some kind, and I'd say it looks to me to be about the *only* remaining limitation of that camera versus the Nikon/Canon big cameras. It's really time to let this one go and let Sony do whatever they want to do. Don't buy one if it's not for you, fortunately Nikon is making some wonderful cameras for us all to enjoy that do shoot in a true 14-bit manner; no biggie.
  • BabaGanoushBabaGanoush Posts: 252Member
    I have an infinite budget to spend on my photography hobby but only a finite number of years left to live, so I plan to buy a Sony A7rII fairly soon, probably a lot sooner than I will be buying a D810 to replace the D800 I owned that I just sold recently. There are enough good-to-excellent Sony or Zeiss primes and a couple of very good zooms to meet my needs. If things don't work out, I'll just sell it all back while I wait for Nikon's Next Big Thing. No problemo. As is often said here on this Forum, when it comes to photography, each person has to make up his own mind and not slavishly follow the opinions of the "experts".
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    @MaxBerlin: You have already made your point in another thread. Please do not create new threads on old topics on a whim. Thread closed.
    Always learning.
This discussion has been closed.