Google Photos

NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
edited August 2015 in Other Manufacturers
I know we had talked about Picasa, but does anyone use Google Photos to back up their photos online? It's attractive because recently they decided to give unlimited backups for any photos under 16 mp or so.

I've uploaded all my photos to it, because I have nothing to hide... maybe? :D

Besides, I'm already a Gmail user, how much more data could Google leak out of me?

Personally, I'm not a big fan of Google Photos, as it's really lacking in organization/folders. But it's free, and backing up is super easy, so I use that in addition to backing up with my hard drives.
Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S

Comments

• WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    I use Lightroom to automatically backup my photos to Flickr using an account just for that purpose.

That is a last resort though. My main backup system is the tried and true Grandpa, Father and Son system. There is always one copy in a safety deposit box at the bank.
  • nitro4menitro4me Posts: 252Member
    Im a gmail user but I want to put mine any free site google or not. I use Crash Plan and back up two iMac's and my MBP. I get update emails on my computers progress, even when i turn one off i get a email if it can't connect to it. A piece of mind knowing if in the event of fire,flood or a tornado or theft i got a copy's of my machines.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    Before relying on any back system do try doing a restore

restoring from the cloud, can take a long time

I like to have at least
    On physical on site backup
    one physical off site backup

If you want archive your treasured shots. A physical paper copy, is best for future generations
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited August 2015

If you want archive your treasured shots. A physical paper copy, is best for future generations
    Errr might want to do some research on that, the average print has a life span of 45-75 year max. That is unless it is stored in a cool dark place at all times, which basically means nobody can ever look at it, so...
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited August 2015

.... That is unless it is stored in a cool dark place at all times, .
    That is exactly how archive photographs should be stored
    and how I have photographs of my parents and grandparents stored
    I not suggesting you achieve everything. Maybe an average of one or two prints a year that you might like future generation to see.

Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • spice3dspice3d Posts: 2Member
    I'm using iDrive for back up. I just don't feel very confident in depending on photo sites as a backup. You often get what you pay for. iDrive costs about $5/month, but there are discounts for the first year or two. That said, I do use Google Photo. When I take a bunch of photos for friends and family, its a great way to let them browse and pick what they want. I'm a little more picky when it comes to what I want to put on my Flickr. Flickr worries me anyways considering all of Yahoo's struggles.
    Blog: SeriouslyTrivial.com | Portfolio: doug.photo | Cameras: Nikon D750, Sony RX100M2 | Lenses: Nikon 20mm f/1.8, Nikon 50mm f/1.4, Nikon 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 28-300mm f/3.5-5
  • KnockKnockKnockKnock Posts: 398Member
    I use Crashplan for offsite backup. Time Machine for local file backups and full machine restores. And cloning to a separate disk before doing any major OS upgrades (faster to restore than Time Machine).... and I use Apple's iCloud Library for syncing Photos across all my devices. So far pretty happy with that (paid) service.

Photo syncing actually seems to work with Photos for Mac and the iOS 8. Shoot a picture on your phone, it's on all your devices. Import photos from your camera, it's on all your devices. Edit in one place, they're sync'ed. Revert to original on the iPad, it's reverted everywhere else. Helps that I have less that 200GB of photos: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201238

My favorite feature of Photos for Mac is that if I take a photo at x-timestamp with my iPhone and within a reasonable amount of time take twenty with my Nikon, they're categorized and geotagged together in Photos' Moments.

I know this sounds very Apple fan-boyish, but know that I'm an IT mgr and at work, I run Windows servers, VMware, AWS, Google Apps, Exchange etc. This happens to work for me and my wife who is a graphic designer schooled on Macs. Just want to nip the platform wars at the bud since they seem to come up everywhere.
    D7100, D60, 35mm f/1.8 DX, 50mm f/1.4, 18-105mm DX, 18-55mm VR II, Sony RX-100 ii
  • kathleenruebkathleenrueb Posts: 1Member
    edited August 2015
    For the past 7 years I have been using Nikon. I have not found any major complaints to during this period. I am quite satisfied with the service as well. Being passionate about photography, I have a huge collection a rare photos and description about each of them.
    Post edited by kathleenrueb on
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    edited November 2016
    I'm not opening a new thread for this, although I debated that. Has anyone tried Photo Scan for archiving photos?

https://www.google.com/photos/scan/

It's another Google App, and I'm curious about the output. I still prefer scanning photos the old fashioned way, although my HP all in one printer/scanner is not built for that sort of heavy duty scanning.

I'm a big fan of Google Photos now, especially since they have the "Rediscover this day" feature that I use to share photos amongst my family. It's way easier for me to share photos with them now, since they used to only exist on my laptop. Now that it's in the cloud, they don't need to ask me for access to photos.
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S