Future of NPS? (membership requirements)

PercussionistPercussionist Posts: 3Member
edited August 2015 in Nikon DSLR cameras
So, being a site with the word "rumors" in it's name, thought I'd post the question of... Are there any rumors in the wind at all about Nikon updating it's membership requirements? I'm not a full time photographer....I get a few gigs here and there. I just looked at Canon's site and couldn't help but notice, if I migrated my Nikon gear to Canon equiv, I would very easily be in their "Platinum" point range with at least about 60 points. This may sound soap-box-y, but, although both Nikon's and Canon's services both have the word "Professional" in their titles, it seems as though Nikon's use of the word is different than Canon's. Where Nikon seems to expect you to prove beyond all shadow of a doubt that paid photography is your main source of income in your life, Canon's use of the word comes across to me to be used in the sense of "supported our(Canon's) business? let us support your business, or endeavors to develop one." That isn't a quote from anywhere on their site...it's just my interpretation of how their professional services membership requirements are designed. Perhaps someone will point me towards where, in their fine print it is stated that being a full time pro is a requirement for CPS, but otherwise(and this is not me threatening to move over to Canon necessarily) I do suggest that is a significant benefit to being in their "system"(we all talk about choosing a manufacturer's overall "system" when deciding between cameras from different manufacturers).
Post edited by Percussionist on

Comments

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    With Nikon - at least in the UK - there is NPS and NPU. I get NPU as I have enough gear for that, but you need that and to be full-time pro and recommended by another member to get NPS as I understand it.

NPU gets the pro support line.
    Always learning.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    From http://cps.usa.canon.com/faq/faq.shtml (emphasis mine)

"Membership is available only to those individuals (self-employed or employed by a professional imaging business), who play a direct role in the creation of moving or still images for third parties on a full-time basis and are legal residents of the 50 United States or the District of Columbia"

They will ask you to prove/verify this
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    Percussionist Not sure what you want from becoming a member of the NPS, Not all countries are the same with regard to NPS membership. I am in the Uk so Nikon Uk NPS help with speedy priority repairs and loan camera equipment at special events.. I communicate often with the UK team on technical information both on camera equipment and software changes. It takes time to build a relationship and information on new items not necessarily Nikon are discussed. It's a give and take relationship which help both parties. I also make point that the people I talk to, are people I have met at different events .
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
  • vtc2002vtc2002 Posts: 364Member
    Years ago I had to submit a portfolio of work has to provide serisl numbers for two professional class bodies and have at least three prime lenses. I had to be nominated by another NOS member. I am inthe US and this was in the late sevetirs early eighties. I received priority over non NPS members on new gear and loaner equipment when gear was sent in for repair. I occasionally got to test new gear prior to it being released to the general public after signing a contract that they would take my frst born child. I also received considerable greif from my local store when I was moved up to first on the list for the D800. Nikon has always been really good to me.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    Well you will be pleased to hear the Nikon have deceided I am Not a Professional..of the 4 bodies I have only one qualifies and in the lenses I have owned 2 but sold them because I thought them poor (28-300/24-120)
    Oh dear should have kept the serial numbers !!
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    I suspect Nikon wants to give support to the photographers out in the field who are in business and need equipment turned around ASAP. And, if this is consistent with the requirements, so be it.

It would be nice if we had in the USA a non working pro status, based possibly upon the equipment used and a portfolio of ten images.

My experience allows me to do almost anything in photography, or at least figure it out, as I had about seven years experience in the 1960's 1970's with a wide variety of photo venues, challenges. And, today, some of the crap put out by so called "professionals" makes me sick.

Oh well,......
    Msmoto, mod
    When the D800 came out I sold one of my D3"S and I received a notice from Nikon that I was not in compliance with the NPS terms. I called them and they waived the rule since my D800 was in transit. I have not had to validate my business in a long time. I do find it interesting that there is no DX body in the NPS pro bodies.
    @msmoto I totally agree with your comments about Pro photographers. Seems like people think they can go buy a DSLR, a couple of lenses, a speedlight and call themselves a pro. I do not do much work now but I just finished up shooting headshots for a local company after someone came in and did a horrible person job. The guy refused ro refund their money and did not offer to retake them. The HR staff was trying to save the company some money and did not check references. One of the employees sent them to me. I spent a couple of hours and they were very happy with what I gave them. The internet is full of crappy photos by so called pro"S.
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    edited August 2015
    And, today, some of the crap put out by so called "professionals" makes me sick.

I will not dissapoint you fearless leader.
    With my current mentor I beleive I have improved greatly especially light placement. My mentor is offering a workshop in chicago and I will be his assistant. It's great that my goals are going well this year and hopefully I get to be a working Pro one day and a NPS member.
    Post edited by Vipmediastar_JZ on
  • TriShooterTriShooter Posts: 219Member
    I believe full time professionals whose incomes are from photography deserve to be first in line regardless of their ability if photography is really their sole means of support.

But, I also agree that those who have invested significant money into professional bodies, lenses, and spent thousands of hours developing their skill sets, in spite of pursuing different career paths, have earned the right to be next in line for Nikon service, and new products offerings.
    ...Which in the UK is the current NPS and NPU set-up.
    Always learning.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    When the D800 came out I sold one of my D3"S and I received a notice from Nikon that I was not in compliance with the NPS terms. I called them and they waived the rule since my D800 was in transit. I have not had to validate my business in a long time. I do find it interesting that there is no DX body in the NPS pro bodies.
    @msmoto I totally agree with your comments about Pro photographers. Seems like people think they can go buy a DSLR, a couple of lenses, a speedlight and call themselves a pro. I do not do much work now but I just finished up shooting headshots for a local company after someone came in and did a horrible person job. The guy refused ro refund their money and did not offer to retake them. The HR staff was trying to save the company some money and did not check references. One of the employees sent them to me. I spent a couple of hours and they were very happy with what I gave them. The internet is full of crappy photos by so called pro"S.
    Slightly off topic, but how do they know that you sold your D3s unless you notified them? Perhaps the new buyer registered the serial number with Nikon?
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    edited August 2015
    If a camera/lens is registered with Nikon Unless the primary owner removes the serial number of camera /lens. from their list. Nikon will not allow a product to be re=registered, plus any warranty would only apply to the original owner.
    Post edited by paulr on
    @paulr: Any warranty only ever applies to the original owner anyway. The Nikon warranty is non-transferable. It is a commonly held belief that a camera under one or two years old is old 'with warranty' but it isn't.
    Always learning.
    edited August 2015
    There is an exception to that rule but I believe only in the Uk. Nikon offer the original owner a Insurance warranty for 3 years, 1 more than normal. The insurance warranty is transferable and covers accidental international cover. I know this for a fact I sold my D4 and transfered the warranty to the second owner without any problems.Nikon offer this through Domestic and General Insurance.
    Post edited by paulr on
    That may be (although I live in the UK and was unaware of that) but the standard warranty is non-transferable.

You are right though that Nikon do pick up subsequent attempts to register a serial number with them if the previous owner hasn't removed it. They contacted me when I sold a body and forgot to remove it from my gear list. I was very pleased to find that.
    Always learning.
    edited August 2015
    Spraynpray, When you register your product for the second year, when Nikon confirm this with you, they offer the policy through D&G,. However they are not cheap £239 88 for a D4 and £155.88 For a D810
    I took them out because I thought it would help the value when I sold the cameras being able to offer a proper warranty and peace of mind to the second owner. It worked when I sold the D4.
    Post edited by paulr on
    @paulr The person that bought the camera went to their My Nikon account and registered the camera. Nikon contacted me thinking that the camera had been stolen. I told them I had sold the camera. They asked that I remove it from my profile. The next week NP S contacted me and said I was in violation of the the terms of being a NPS member. I had my 24-70mm stolen while shooting some portraits at a local park. The person that stole it tried to register the lense. Nikon notified me and I explained what happened. They contacted the police and gave them the persons name and address. In about 10 ,days I had my lenses back. Nikon did a free service and inspection on the lense.
    edited August 2015
    From general disscussions on NPS, it would appear that there is no uniform international standard for NPS membership,and each country has its own interpretation of the rules. i.e you are full time professional photographer..rather than a collector of Nikon product using them for personal use or occasional payment. My experience is of the Uk, and has been noted we have NPS and NPU membership, which operate from the same telephone number, just different departments.Both departments are there to help, and apart from NPS asking for your Id no. there does not seem much difference on technical information.However NPS members do get priority on repairs and the occasional loan equipment.
    The person who stole your lens must have been a real numtee thinking he could register a stolen lens and to what purpose and benefit did they think they were going to achieve.
    Post edited by paulr on
    @paulr The person that bought the camera went to their My Nikon account and registered the camera. Nikon contacted me thinking that the camera had been stolen. I told them I had sold the camera. They asked that I remove it from my profile. The next week NP S contacted me and said I was in violation of the the terms of being a NPS member. I had my 24-70mm stolen while shooting some portraits at a local park. The person that stole it tried to register the lense. Nikon notified me and I explained what happened. They contacted the police and gave them the persons name and address. In about 10 ,days I had my lenses back. Nikon did a free service and inspection on the lense.
    Can you re-read this post please and re-write it as necessary - it isn't clear what you are trying to say.

Thanks.
    Always learning.
    edited August 2015
    Spraynpray I believe vtc2002 is referring to his camera not mine, I find it strange that the NPS would say vtc2002 is in violation of the terms of NPS But each country does things differently.
    You can find the T&C conditions but each country has its own just Google Nikon NPS Terms & Conditions. For your country
    Post edited by paulr on
    @spraynpray Sorry trying to post from my phone during a boring meeting was a bad idea. Paulr response is correct I was replying to his earlier post. When the D800 came out Nikon was getting a lot of heat by letting NPS getting the first copies of the camera. I believe their checking NPS members inventory was their response manage the bad PR they were receiving. The second example was how they used the information in my profile to recover a stolen lense, which wasa bit off topic.