Blue Spectrum Refractive Optics?

nek4lifenek4life Posts: 123Member
edited August 2015 in Nikon DSLR cameras
Canon's marketing for the new 35mm 1.4 lens says this is an exclusive technology, but does Nikon have something similar to this?

Comments

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Yeah, ED glass they've been using since the 70's. Color fringing is easily corrected in camera or in post, so this is pure marketing (brilliant however) on canons part.
  • niemeyjtniemeyjt Posts: 64Member
    edited August 2015
    You say that, but someone else says it is one of two big announcements (along with Canon EOS M) from Canon - and goes on to say:

What did I say about watching the skies between 19-27 August? Here we have two biggies just dropped by Canon. Nothing from Nikon; Nikon hasn't had much innovation for quite a few years. Let's be serious; the D3300 is the same as the D3200 and D3100 and the D7200 is the same as the D7100 and D7000 as far as real photography is concerned. Thank you Canon, and Yawn to Nikon!

J
    Post edited by niemeyjt on
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    edited August 2015
    I could not give a damn what technology is in my system as long as it gives me sharp images. If a lens manufacturer was able to achieve the same improvements in resolution as Nikon has in the camera series listed above, it would be on the front page of every photography magazine.

Who is that gearhead you are quoting Niemeyjt? What does their portfolio look like?
    Post edited by WestEndFoto on
  • niemeyjtniemeyjt Posts: 64Member
    edited August 2015
    Who is that gearhead you are quoting Niemeyjt?
    Assuming that wasn't a rhetorical question - Mr Rockwell.
    What does their portfolio look like?
    Lots of pictures of Ryan and Katie.

J
    Post edited by niemeyjt on
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    Hmmmm....Rockwell eh. He should know better.

Maybe I will read that tonight.
  • nek4lifenek4life Posts: 123Member
    Yeah, ED glass they've been using since the 70's. Color fringing is easily corrected in camera or in post, so this is pure marketing (brilliant however) on canons part.
    That's what I thought, but wasn't sure. I was mostly curious because the Nikon equivalent for the 35mm 1.4 they are debuting this Blue Spectrum blah blah has pretty bad CAs for all the reviews I've seen.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    He writes like a tabloid journo and is as irritating too.

Wide Canon stuff does have more than its share of CA going by what I've seen and hear from owners.
    Always learning.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    Ken also says this about the lens:

"This new lens is bigger, heavier, made with more plastic and more expensive — but claims a slight improvement in sharpness and slightly closer focusing. Seeing how extraordinary are the optics of the original, I personally don't see a reason to get this new version, and see this as a great opportunity to get the previous version on closeout if you don't have one already."