Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 vrii noisy vibration reduction

NiknikNiknik Posts: 13Member
edited September 2015 in Nikon Lenses
I've just purchased a used "as new" copy of this lens from ebay. Just trying it out, and it does indeed look "as new", and focusses very quickly. However, when I switched the VR function on, I was immediately struck by how noisy it is, certainly far noisier than any lens I have ever used. It seems to click whenever you focus, which I have heard on other lenses although not as loudly as this, but you can also hear another sound like a motor running which seems to continue even after your focus is locked on. Is that normal for one of these lenses, or the sign of a fault?
Tagged:

Comments

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Does it rattle when the lens is detached from the body and shaken?
    Always learning.
  • NiknikNiknik Posts: 13Member
    I just tried that, and was about to say yes, although perhaps describing it as a rattle is perhaps overstating things. However, I did the same test with my other lenses, all of which made a similar amount of noise - so the correct answer is probably no.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    OK, sometimes if you have a rattle in a VR lens it is because you have taken it off with the power on, but refitting it to the body with the power off then turning it on fixes that so no help from me. If you are near a good shop or repair centre you could get them to give their opinion.
    Always learning.
    Thanks for the suggestions. I've been taking test shots with it all afternoon, and thinking that perhaps it is not quite as loud as I initially thought it was, although it is definitely louder than my other lenses. Seems to work fine though, so I'm probably just being a bit paranoid.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    If I recall the VR on that lens is rather loud, due to metal body of the lens, which amplifies the noise of the VR mechanism turing on and off. Unlike smaller kit grade lenses the VR on larger lenses is louder simply because the mechanism needs to be more powerful, since it is moving larger pieces of glass.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    I sometimes hear a click but that is all. I think it may be when the focus has a very small adjustment to make when I refocus on the same subject to be sure I get it right. Usually but not always when focusing on small objects at a close distance and shallow depth of field so focus is critical. (Insects on plants.)
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Are you in a country where the warrantee is still in effect? If so, can't hurt to send it in for a CLA. I personally would just ignore it if the VR is working properly.
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    edited September 2015
    I hope it is not a grey market copy, I agree in that I heard that this lens is louder than Nikon's other VR lenses. Here is another idea you can try to help determine if there is a problem with the AF motor. Place your hand in front of the lens let it try to focus on it. It won't that's fine but then focus on something nearby. Listen to the motor and VR it should not squeak, rumble or whirl overly loud. What kind of warrantee did it come with? Ironheart is right in that it can't hurt to take it in to get a professional inspection and opinion...
    Post edited by kanuck on
    edited September 2015
    The lens was not is not a grey market copy, but was it was purchased as a used item from a private seller on ebay, so does not come with a warranty. The lens and packaging all appear to be in perfect condition, and it seems to work perfectly, but I think I will follow the advice given here and take it to somewhere like Calumet and ask for their opinion.
    Post edited by Niknik on