Help Me Buy a Bag

No_OrchestraNo_Orchestra Posts: 13Member
edited September 2015 in Nikon DSLR cameras
Hi all,

I need a new camera bag. I have a LowPro MicroTrekker 200 that I got used a few years ago. It's fine, but I'd like something a little more comfortable, a little more roomy and a little less "I am a camera-bag" looking, know what I mean?

I have a D7100, the 18-55 kit lens that came with my D3000 years ago, a 50mm 1.4G, and a 70-300mm 4.5-5.6G. I also have the usual nicknacks, cables, filters, etc, and a tripod. In the next year or so I might add a flash and a wide angle zoom (eyeing the Tokina 11-20 at the moment). In a very ideal world, I'd also stuff a 15" laptop in there, but we can't have it all, right?

So, what do you love?

Comments

• WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    Look at Billingham. I have two bags, the vest and numerous accessories. The insert selection is extensive.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Lowepro and ThinkTank are the best. I have owned three Lowepro and one ThinkTank and now have one of each.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • tcole1983tcole1983 Posts: 981Member
    I use the Lowepro flipside 300. I can cram a pretty good amount of stuff in there. I carry my D5200, 17-55, 105, 35, 300 and my SB400, all my cables and batteries and miscellaneous cleaning stuff, extra batteries. When I want I have crammed another body in or small compact camera....sometime taking out a lens in exchange. I have been happy and it is pretty comfortable. Not sure you will find a good bag that doesn't look like a camera bag though. Nice thing about the flip side is you can spin it around and change lenses without taking the bag off while using the hip straps. Also the only way it opens is with a zipper that is on your back...so no chance of anyone opening your bag from behind you and stealing anything...also don't have to worry about stuff spilling out when you open your bag.
    D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    I have a think tank belt system and would like to find a backpack that I can put the whole system in along with stuff I don't carry on the belt.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    What do you prefer? Back packs, shoulder bags, top loaders? If you are not going to go above one body plus a decent selection of lenses and accessories, the Lowepro Nova range is good. I manage to do weddings out of mine which means two bodies but it starts to get really heavy then.
    Always learning.
  • No_OrchestraNo_Orchestra Posts: 13Member
    Definitely looking for a backpack-style bag. I almost certainly will never have more than one body in it. I'm an enthusiastic amateur with no intention to go pro. Can't afford more than one expensive hunk of electronics at once. This is mostly for hauling my gear around while travelling. I need my hands free for carrying children.