Tamron 70-300

I got interested in this lens after reading reviews that showed it to be a bit better than the Nikon alternative. However, in my search for the Tamron....i have seen what appears to be the same lens for $158 all the way to $450. Being a complete noob here....what's up with this? Am I really looking at different lenses?? They all are F4-5.6.

Comments

• CoastalconnCoastalconn Posts: 527Member
    Yes, there are 2 different lenses.. The "VC" is the one you want. I think there might still be a $100 mail in rebate. Make sure you buy from an authorized dealer..
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    For the $150 difference, my money would be on the Nikon. You can find reviews that will tell you the Tammy is better, and ones that tell you the Nikon is better. I've never been unhappy with my Nikkor 70-300 VR.
  • CoastalconnCoastalconn Posts: 527Member
    They both are about the same. I'm frugal so I would pick the Tamron at $230 cheaper new (350 after rebate) plus it looks like the Tamron holds it value better. As used ones sell for about 250-275 where used Nikons sell for about 280-320. If you were going to buy used I would pick the Nikon as they are almost the same price...