Lens problem

My grandaughter has started university and needed a DSLR for her course so I bought her a used Nikon D70 body quite cheap I put my D3100 AF-S 18-55 VR DX lens on it to try it out and it worked ok. I bought a Nikon AF 35-70mm lens for it and it will only work on f22 in Auto or manual mode? I thought she would be able to use it in other apertures when set in manual? What is the best reasonable priced lens for the D70?

Comments

• PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,444Member
    First if a camera is required for a University course the university usually specified suitable cameras...When you say works only at F22 I think you confuse the requirement to have it set at f22 for the auto to work ..the idea is it can pick all apertures up to F22. On some lenses F22 is marked as auto. So if I read this right you dont have a problem.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    You didn't say whether this is the f2.8 or the f/3.3-4.5 variant of the lens. Regardless the answer is the same. You lock the physical aperture ring on f/22 to allow the camera to control the aperture via its own controls. You basically tun the lens into a G variant by ignoring the ring on the lens. Let me know if this doesn't make sense.
  • DonnydaveDonnydave Posts: 3Member
    It is a 3.3-4.5 but I think the problem is that I have bought a slr lens I just noticed there is no D on the barrel, but thank you for your reply, so it is working ok when locked on f22?
  • DonnydaveDonnydave Posts: 3Member
    Thank you I have just taken in what you have said and when I look through the viewfinder it does change the aperture it was reading 60 - f4.5 :)
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Glad you got it sorted. The older lenses can be a bit confusing on the digital bodies.