Nikon 18-140 common problem ?

PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,444Member
My wife is very hard on cameras ..smashed screens etc so when we returned from a wedding and the front part of the 18-140 zoom ring had detached I was not supprised (just in front of the rubber part) and with 6 spots of superglue put it back.
Yesterday I was photographing some stuff for ebay with the other 18-140 and the ring came off.
Now this ring contains the weather seal ..well length of sticky backed foam which wipes the lens barrel of debris.
1/2 inch of this was sticking out...poked it back and out with the super glue.
Common problem ?

Comments

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Doesn't seem to be. I only found one other person that had a loose ring in front of the zoom ring. Strange that it happened to both of yours...
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I was about to say send it in for a free repair but then I remembered you like grey stuff don't you? Look like you are stuck with the super-glue so to speak! :)) Sorry for the pun...
    Always learning.
  • tcole1983tcole1983 Posts: 981Member
    Well personally if you shoot as much as you claim then I can see this happening. There is a reason Nikon makes pro lenses...to stand up to abuse and use. It is a kit lens and although I have never had a problem with my variable lenses I baby my equipment...however under wedding shooting conditions I can imagine things like this happening. I have heard about other rubber pieces wearing out or coming off of lenses and bodies.
    D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,444Member
    Tcole ..to remove the insult from your post perhaps you should change claim to do .....I shoot weddings maybe 50 time a year and the lens is in action 2-3 hrs at each..not quite hard work and not use and abuse shooting a sale item in the kitchen for e bay,,if its grey its cheap and if it lasts 12 months and another 12 with a bit of superglue who cares ..still gets an ebay buyer in the end
    @pistnbroke...just saying I don't think anyone has ever seen your work of any sort. No need to prove, but my statement stands.

Seems silly to complain about things not functioning to pro standards when you buy non-pro equipment. There is a reason things cost more and have better build quality. Even if they don't have the flexibility of the super zooms...there is something to be said about those lenses that carry the gold ring.
    D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)
    To be fair tc, I have seen his work, and it is prodigious. Also to be fair, Nikon don't make lenses that cover the needed focal length range on DX and that are more rugged.

If it were me though, I would pay the price and have Nikon repair it again and again and again.
    Always learning.
    edited October 2015
    I suppose. I think two bodies could get the coverage one needs. 17-55 and 70-200. Although I buy refurbished and used I wouldn't buy grey and I would probably also repair it. I know from the wedding I shot that I was pretty hard on my stuff. Much more so than I am any other time. I don't think the build quality of the super zooms would handle it too long...he mentions 12 months of use for a lens. But getting a bit off topic I suppose.

A quick Google search and I see a piece falling off another18-140...doesn't seem the same though. Could be something that is common to the lens that might become more apparent over time. You have probably used yours more than most will ever.

Guess I have a different approach when it comes to tools/equipment. It didn't take long in my work to realize buying something that works ok and is cheaper isn't the answer when you really have to do work. It wastes time which is money in the end to have to mess with repairs or replacing things. As I said Nikon makes higher quality equipment for a reason. I do see spray's point that the pro level DX stuff is a bit missing.
    Post edited by tcole1983 on
    @tcole1983 I agree with you in principle. Better tools make the job easier. However the wedding photography business is a thin margin one, and you really have to watch your costs. I think @pistnbroke has done the math, and it is cheaper to buy a grey lens, tape and glue to keep it going a couple of years, and then buy another grey lens when it finally bites the dust. There is no more rugged lens that fits the 18-140 focal length, and @pnb is already carrying two cameras, you are suggesting he carry three just so he can switch between the heavy 17-55 and the even heavier 70-200/4? Also those two lenses will run you $2900 total.
    The grey market 18-140 will set you back $260. So you can buy 11 18-140s with that same money. He can afford to keep a spare or two in his trunk, zero downtime, way less capital, and 2.5lbs less weight (not including the extra body).
    Don't get me wrong. Each to their own. If his style works for him and his equipment choices work for his budget then so be it. BUT there seems to be lots of complaints about the quality of the equipment at that level and just trying to point out that it probably isn't best suited for lots of professional use....even if it works.
    edited October 2015
    Love the analysis Ironheart and thanks Spraynpray for the affermation I am what I say ..I dont publish my site or put up photos because of problems with people using Google photo search or whatever and then getting obnoxious on my site /facecbook etc which are essential business tools.
    I carry a D800 with a 14mm Samyang for "wedding landscapes" and now a D810 with a 28-300 .( the 24-120 was not long enough) this has replaced the D7100 with a 18-140. My wife carries a D7100 with 18-140 but she will not use any sort of strap.
    and we have another spare in the safe( big chained down steel box ) in the vehicle trunk. A Go Pro scans the inside of the vehicle 24/7 should anyone get in and the 810 now carries the GPS tracker disguised as a battery in case it gets stolen.

At my last wedding I parked at a municipal car park and on returning the car was surrounded by travelers /Gypsy caravans ..kids and tatooed men everywhere .The number plate P11OTO (reads PHOTO) did not help !! .Security oh yes
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • JohnnyCJohnnyC Posts: 2Member
    edited February 2016
    I also had a problem with my Nikon 18-140VR lens. The dust ring let go and had to be repaired by Nikon under warranty. My friend just got back from vacation and told me that the dust ring also let go on his 18-140 lens. I am beginning to think that this is a design flaw with the lens.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Sure looks like it.
    Always learning.
    edited February 2016
    Certainly the six tags that hold it on are very small and break off ..probably not in the same "impact" until the last one lets go . If you go the superglue route make sure the foam seal is not sticking out before you glue it into place. ( all grey stuff is covered by Nikon warrantee in the UK for 12 months)
    I do wish in general that Nikon or anybody would make a better zoom lens ie IQ for both FX and DX
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited March 2016
    Well mine just came off yesterday :-(

So superglue works ??

Now where did I put that old 18-200 ....
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

yes ..push it back and align it carefully ..check all the way around it fits tight ..then pull straight forward ..check the foam seal underneath has not popped out ..spots of SG and push it back .work the zoom in /out straight away just in case ...done two ..no problem.. don't use very much
    @heartyfisher is it still under warranty? Even so, Nikon may fix it for free as it is a known "defect".