Filter type recommendation for different filter sizes

protikprotik Posts: 17Member
edited October 2015 in Nikon Lenses
Hi guys

I have narrowed down Hoya filters for my lenses however I am not sure whether it would be beneficial to purchase one of each type of filters (CPL/ND8/ND500/Grad ND10) to cover each filter sizes (58mm, 67mm, 77mm). For instance, a ND500 (9-stop) and grad ND filter might be beneficial for a wide angle lens however does grad ND filters often get used on telephoto lenses as well? Do you see 3-stop and 9-stop filters often being used on a normal prime?

So far, I am not sure if I want to use a filter holder/converter and have been prefering to use the screw-on types.

After having tried out a few, I am thinking of using the ND filters for motion blur and long exposures and grad ND for landscapes (which can be achieved digitally as well) however just not sure if I need 12 filters to cover all my bases.

Any recommendation would be helpful – which ones would you opt for?

Thanks in advance!
Post edited by protik on
Tagged:

Comments

• tc88tc88 Posts: 537Member
    Get the 77mm size and some 58-77, 67-77 step up rings. The only issue is that you can't use the hood withe the step up rings. But hopefully you don't need to have those filters on all the time. Good luck.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Yep, tc88 got it. Good solution for occasional use.
    Always learning.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    I use a UV or clear filter on my lenses for protection...(another issue/thread). Almost all the "effects" I can achieve in Lightroom, so I find using separate filters not needed for my style.

However, IMO, if one wants to use various filters I would suggest determining first what results are desired, i.e., lens to be used,etc., then purchase a filter for that purpose. Saves a lot that way. Of course, I have also purchased filters and never used them as I have been known to change my mind occasionally....about on a five minute schedule....LOL

Usually I change my mind based upon shooting conditions, information learned on NRF and other resources, and at the actual location, the reality of the subject if it differs from my expectation.
    Msmoto, mod
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,744Member
    I use Sing Ray ND filters in 3, 5, 10 and 15 stop. At $500 each, can you imagine what they would cost if I bought a set for each of my filter sizes. Including other types of filters that I have, that is more than $3,000 per size.

Then there is the insanity of managing those filter sizes.

As TC88 pointed out, the only sane solution, both financially and management wise, is step rings. Make sure you buy rings to the largest filter size you are likely to use. For me that is 77 mm, but there are gotchas. The new 24-70 has a larger filter size (88mm?) because of the VR. Good thing I don!t need that lens, but if you are a landscape shooter, you could be caught with this.

Heliopause step up rings are my choice and pretty good.

Also, I have a Hoya uv filter on each lens for general protection in the particular lens size.

One more consideration. A grad is a good investment if you shoot landscapes. You will encounter dark foregrounds and bright skies. While a D800 has great dynamic range it is not infinite. A grad gets you a lot closer by effectively increasing your dynamic range.