How best to test a new lens

petersvppetersvp Posts: 8Member
I have just taken delivery of a new Nikon 24-70mm f2.8E ED VR lens. Having read some reviews that have discovered quality assurance issues, especially over AF accuracy and performance, with this lens can members recommend some simple tests to ensure I have a correctly functioning lens. It will be working with a D810. I will start taking pictures of a brick wall at various focal lengths, with and without VR, and at various focal points. Is this a correct approach and am I missing anything obvious? I do not have access to any complicated charts or graphics. Suggestions would need to be practical for an amateur! My thanks, as ever, in advance for any wise advice.

Comments

• NikoniserNikoniser Posts: 100Member
    I setup focus with dot tune : http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1187638

Good place to start

• Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    Setup some bottles/pencils and take a photo of the middle one or a ruler and see if your lens focus is accurate.

http://www.nobadfoto.com/check-autofocus-issues.html
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    edited December 2015
    What is being suggested is that you set the fine tune..I agree but check it again after maybe 500-1000 shots when the lens has settled( frictions within the lens been reduced)
    From the comments I have read on DXO and the blog find some excuse to send it back if only for the fact that it will not be popular second hand and you will loose a lot of money as well as always notbeing happy.
    Perhaps go get a 24-85 G for about 15% of the price !!!
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • petersvppetersvp Posts: 8Member
    Thanks for all your help and advice above. I have tested the 24-70mm f2.8 in both the new and previous version using the charts available at Bob Atkins.com, made many comparisons between both versions and I also took a variety of real world photographs including my favourite brick wall! I appear fortunate to have a lens without any of the issues found in trial versions and my findings concur exactly with those by Roger Cicaia at ww.lensrentals.com/blog. I will keep both lenses as they could serve slightly different purposes. The major benefit of the new lens is not only much improved edge to edge sharpness but also a very effective VR system. Mostly I use a tripod but in, for example churches and cathedrals, where tripods are not allowed and light can be variable, VR will be very helpful. Without VR my brickwall at f/18 70mm at just 1/10 of a second was mush. The same shot with VR was crisp and sharp throughout. Quite impressive.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited December 2015
    @petersvp

Yes, the brick wall test.....shows extremely well distortion and how flat the field is. Also, here is a set up of one of our members on NRF, works well to demonstrate ultimate resolving power when huge enlargements are made.

Clarity +50_11.04.15

And in a pinch, here is a demo of the center sharpness of a 135mm f/2.0 Nikkor...
    Nikkor 135mm f/2 Wide_Open_TEST

Center enlargement:
    Nikkor 135mm f/2 Wide_Open_TEST

For my preference, with this lens, portraits, edge sharpness is of minimal importance, thus the extreme sharpness of the center...yes!
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod