24-70/2.8 Nikkor Discussion, zoom stuck again...design flaw?

geogregeogre Posts: 22Member
edited February 2013 in Nikon Lenses
hello!

i am new to this forum and i am not native english speaking, so sorry for any mistakes in advance ;)
i am reading NR quite often (still hoping every day for the real D700 successor with 16 or 18MP, 8 or 9fps with BG and slightly improved iso, but that's another story)...

i bought my first 24-70 last year and noticed after only 2 months that the zoom got stiffer and stiffer especially in one position and direction (i do NOT mean the difference caused by the reversing at about 50mm). it felt so uncomfortable because it was not possible anymore to zoom smoothly. instead, it zoomed stuttering with an uncomfortable resistance (only with the lens facing horizontally, it was normal upside-down with the serial-no. on top) when trying to get back from 24 to 50 (it was smooth from 70 to 24). so i returned it to the dealer and got a new one which felt just fine.

now, last week, i noticed that the 2nd one had started to do the exact same thing and i'm quite sad and disappointed. i hoped a lens of this price would last me at least 10 years, i read something like "tank like build quality" in reviews before, but i'm beginning to think that it's a design flaw and will happen to any of these?!
i will take it again back to the dealer, but i'm not sure if i want to try a 3rd one. what if it happens again when i'm out of warranty period? i'll have paid lots of money and could only use the lens for 2 years? i'm a bit scared.
i'm thinking of changig to the 24-120, or to go for a 35/1.4 and 50/1.4 instead... (if the dealer makes that possible).

does anyone here have a copy of the 24-70 that has a perfectly smooth (my 70-200 e.g. is wonderful) zoom-ring and has been like that for more than a year? or 2 years? or even longer? i find it quite unlikey that i should get 2 lenses with the same problem. of course, the lenses are kept in a professional bag, they're handled carefully, they have not even been used extremely often, and they have not fallen or been hit or anything.

thanks for your thoughts on this .... :)
Post edited by Msmoto on

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited February 2013
    I got my 24-70mm f2.8G in early August 2011, and it has been trouble free. I've even dropped it (hood first), while it was mounted on a tripod (fell 3 feet), so the lens took the weight of itself, a D700 and Gitzo tripod. The 24-70 still works just like the day I bought it, so it seems tough enough.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited February 2013
    Are you using the lens in any atmospheric conditions which could create problems....near the ocean?

As to the 24-120...nice lens, but probably not a s crisp as the 24-70. The 35mm f/1.4...consider the Sigma coming out in a few days.

I have not heard any reports of the problem you are describing with the 24-70. Also, which body are you using? And, what are you thinking of in a new body? The D600 or D800 may be the only D700 replacements offered by Nikon, I cannot imagine a full size 18 MP sensor coming from Nikon anytime in the near future.

Welcome to NRF
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    edited February 2013
    Nikkor lenses have a 5 year warranty, although that may vary in certain countries.
    Post edited by Ironheart on
  • DenverShooterDenverShooter Posts: 416Member
    Have a couple year old 24 to 70 F/2.8 and it been flawless.

Denver Shooter
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited February 2013
    @geogre: Sorry to hear about the issues you have come across with the 24-70 2.8. This is my favorite of all time lenses and it is a Work Horse. I have put this lens through some harsh conditions and has never given me any trouble. If I may suggest, get it replaced and by all mean make sure it is not a gray market one.
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • rschnaiblerschnaible Posts: 308Member
    I have the 24-70mm / 2.8 Nikkor, it is smooth and without issue.... Something is amiss, I would get it back in for repair or replacement......
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    If somebody asked me what the most sorted, toughest zoom lens Nikon make is, I would say the 24-70 f2.8 so I am thinking you may be causing the problem somehow. I see people handling lenses during 'unboxings' and reviews on YouTube where they whizz the zoom and focus like crazy. Maybe you are one of those people because one rare problem with that lens is one thing, two is just improbable.

No offense meant, just looking at the facts here.
    Always learning.
    As spraynpray has stated, and this is almost always true for me...if something is not working, the number one cause is me. Sometimes we will have a habit of doing something, such as changing lenses with the camera on, and not even recognize it.

Of course, my excuse is old age...LOL ;)
    Msmoto, mod
  • geogregeogre Posts: 22Member
    wow!
    thank you all so much for your answers and thoughts, i didn't expect that! i really appreciate it, thanks!!!

it is so good to hear that it does not seem to be a "design flaw". thanks for your thoughts that i may be causing the problem too, but i would definitely exclude that. i've been photographing for 20 years now, only the last years professional though (even if only "a bit"). so i'm not crazy zooming and focussing ;) and the lens had been fine for over 7 months now. so maybe really bad bad luck?!

these links i found on google made me initially think about a design flaw:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/nikkor_24_70/discuss/72157615300077438/

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/35937681

do YOU people open up your lenses and put grease in them? i think i NEVER would ;)

...ok, i am right now on my way to the dealer (it is a really big professional shop, so no grey imports or so) and i will let you know if i get a third one, and how long that one is going to last ;)

thanks again - this is really a nice forum, good to be here.

(to the d700 successor; actually i'd like a D4 but i can't afford it. i'm shooting sports (climbing) and i need it to be fast in not so good light conditions, and resolution more than 16 or even 12 megapixels is not needed, filming would be great. so there's only the D4 left, and i would buy a D750 or whatever instantly :) )
    edited February 2013
    The video was entertaining... and if one does not understand how to assemble a watch, properly, I would suggest not attempting to fix you lens.

A couple of errors in the video...of course, dropping the screws onto the lens surface....inexcusable....this will always leave a residue on the lens surface which should be blown off with the small bulb, examined by very high power magnifier, and if necessary, cleaned...but this is a specialized process. Also, when doing this process, a facial mask should be worn so as to prevent small droplets of moisture from accumulating on the lens surface. Normal talk will produce those and they fly through the air and land on the lens elements.

Then the idea of placing grease inside the lens...You better make certain the correct viscosity, temperature specs and all other factors such as creep are consistent with what Nikon specs for internal lubricant. If not, in a hot storage area such as your car....mmm disaster. There are specific lubricants for the internals and these need to be followed.

The conclusion is that if you are an expert in this, go for it...otherwise....

However, this entire post does suggest for some of the 24-70, f/2.8 lenses, a problem may exist. Thanks to you, geogre
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
    edited February 2013
    ok... i went to the shop on saturday, and they said they could not replace the lens this time (but they confirmed the problem!) because it had already been replaced last year and now almost 10 months after buying it's not possible to replace it.
    instead they sent it to the nikon service, and i 'll get it back in about 10 days. i'm still a bit scared now, hoping it is not going to be a 'never ending story'... but i guess the nikon service people know what they're doing (e.g. not making the errors in the video that you mentioned, msmoto) and everything's going to be fine (for at least 10 years ;) ) if i'm going to have a job in the meantime, the shop is going to give me a rent-24-70 for free, so that's pretty good service.

wish me luck :)
    Post edited by geogre on
    edited February 2013
    i saw i left some questions unanswered... sorry.

i have not been using the lens in problematic conditions, i may have been at the sea once, but mostly inside buidlings. having winter at the moment and having used it outdoors (but rarely) below 0°C should not have caused a problem. i'm using a d700 at the moment (and as mentioned, am still waiting for a replacement (16mp, 8-9fps with bg, high iso, video) ... or enough money/jobs to buy a d4 that does all that i want (but even more, being too expensive for me at the moment). i'd pay like 3000 euros for a "baby-d4" - but that's another story as said above, this is all about my 24-70 of course)
    Post edited by geogre on
    i don't know if anyone is still reading this, but if you're interested i just wanted to let you know what turned out:

i got the lens back on saturday, and... it zooms as smooth as, well, as it should i guess. i hope it will stay like this now for at least 10 years.

unfortunately i got no receipt directly from nikon service, on the one i got from the shop it just said "screw channel cleaned and lubricated". i hope screw channel is correct in english, it must be some spiral-like part or so. i don't know why something in a professional, quite good sealed, almost brand new lens would have to be cleaned or lubricated, but that's alle the info that i got. i seriously hope it does not need to be cleaned now as often as some peoples D600....

anyway, thanks for all your answers and thoughts on this issue :)
  • SilvanaSilvana Posts: 1Member
    George,
    I am experiencing the same exact problem you are describing above: I bought this lens few weeks ago second hand from a fellow photographer - lens is really in mint condition, and I tried it out when I got it and on and off since then. Tonight, it simply got stuck...Good to know I am not the only one...
    Thanks for posting!
  • johngabrisjohngabris Posts: 2Member
    hello!

i am new to this forum and i am not native english speaking, so sorry for any mistakes in advance ;)
    i am reading NR quite often (still hoping every day for the real D700 successor with 16 or 18MP, 8 or 9fps with BG and slightly improved iso, but that's another story)...

i bought my first 24-70 last year and noticed after only 2 months that the zoom got stiffer and stiffer especially in one position and direction (i do NOT mean the difference caused by the reversing at about 50mm). it felt so uncomfortable because it was not possible anymore to zoom smoothly. instead, it zoomed stuttering with an uncomfortable resistance (only with the lens facing horizontally, it was normal upside-down with the serial-no. on top) when trying to get back from 24 to 50 (it was smooth from 70 to 24). so i returned it to the dealer and got a new one which felt just fine.

now, last week, i noticed that the 2nd one had started to do the exact same thing and i'm quite sad and disappointed. i hoped a lens of this price would last me at least 10 years, i read something like "tank like build quality" in reviews before, but i'm beginning to think that it's a design flaw and will happen to any of these?!
    i will take it again back to the dealer, but i'm not sure if i want to try a 3rd one. what if it happens again when i'm out of warranty period? i'll have paid lots of money and could only use the lens for 2 years? i'm a bit scared.
    i'm thinking of changig to the 24-120, or to go for a 35/1.4 and 50/1.4 instead... (if the dealer makes that possible).

does anyone here have a copy of the 24-70 that has a perfectly smooth (my 70-200 e.g. is wonderful) zoom-ring and has been like that for more than a year? or 2 years? or even longer? i find it quite unlikey that i should get 2 lenses with the same problem. of course, the lenses are kept in a professional bag, they're handled carefully, they have not even been used extremely often, and they have not fallen or been hit or anything.

thanks for your thoughts on this .... :)
  • johngabrisjohngabris Posts: 2Member
    Hi
    Before going to the trouble of taking the lens apart. Perhaps you can try a simpler solution:-
    The problem is the friction between the zoom ring and the connecting notch that drives the zoom while turning the ring.

There is just enough gap between the zoom ring and the body to apply a small amount of WD40 and turning the ring several times to distribute the lubricant, this works well as I have done this solves the problem.
    Use very little WD40
    Worth a go

John
  • BillBill Posts: 1Member
    I have this lens, and I have had to get it repaired 3 times. I just got to Thailand for a photo shoot, and two days after landing, this lens locked up complete.
    Now it has happened again. I am using this on a D4 - it also locked up on my D3. I have read the replies here, and it definitely sounds like a design problem.
    I called Nikon and asked if the newest generation addressed this, and they responded with a no, and that they have never herd of this problem???? They said the newest lens was a bit sharper, but mechanism was the same.
    I have used Nikon Lenses for years, and they have been bullet proof. This lens has been nothing but problems. I will have to either look to a different lens, maybe pentex, or drop this lens complete, and just go with prim lenses only.
    Totally dissatisfied with this lens.

Bill