Compact Camera's... High end Coolpix... Nikon 1.... Nikon DL....

Comments

• NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    So... who's thinking about actually buying a DL but already owns a high end compact already?

*raises hand*
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • nek4lifenek4life Posts: 123Member
    How well do you think the DL cameras will do in low light? Looking to do some photography for a travel blog that might include dimly lit interiors such as bars. Wonder how these would hold up. My DSLR does well for the most part, but even that be slightly problematic depending on the location. Not looking for miracles, just curious what people think you could get out of a compact like this.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited March 2016
    These little cameras are not bad in low light..
    1) The sensor of these would be at least as good as the J5 which has fairly good low light capability.. from test charts we have seen they would beat the old D70 and the base sensor output would be close to the D90. add to that the new Expeed processor and they should be pretty respectable.
    2) They are small and light and attaching a very small portable plastic tripod would not be an issue and that would allow base iso images in low light. And that would beat any DSLR at high ISO ! I used to use something like this (but even more flimsy) with my Coolpix P5000... "Mini Portable Foldable Tripod Stand" http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/221858614492 But there are better ones these days ..
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    These have a 1 inch (CX) sensor which is not good in low light. It might be better to get a compact with a DX sensor like the now discontinued Coolpix A or its replacement which has not yet been released. Or wait for a DX mirrorless system.
    edited March 2016
    The CX sensor is "not good" in low light? ...maybe it was but. the new sensor is a nice improvement.

http://tomstirrphotography.com/nikon-1-j5-hands-on-review/1

"The Nikon 1 J5 represents a bit of a ‘game changer’ as the improved 20.8MP BSI sensor puts the Nikon 1 system into a much more competitive position in terms of image quality vis-a-vis M4/3 cameras and even with some Canon DSLRs using AP-S sensors."

Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    edited March 2016
    Yes, the dynamic range and color depth have increased. However, a quote from Tom Stirr's reveiw about ISO:

"Low light performance improved marginally from 403 ISO with the Nikon 1 V2 to 479 ISO with the J5. A 25% difference in low light performance is roughly equivalent to 1/3 EV and would be ‘barely noticeable’ according to DxO – so there is no discernible difference in low light performance between the previous Aptina sensors and the new BSI sensor in the J5."

DxO rates the D5500 at 1438 and even the discontinuted Coolpix A at 1164. After trying the V2 model and comparing it to the Coolpix A I gave up on the 1 inch sensor for anything other than web use or 8x10 prints shot in good light. I am glad to see BSI technology improves that sensor. Maybe I will try the V4 model when it arrives if it can shoot clean up to ISO 1600 but I doubt it will be able to do so. It seems to me to be best to shoot with the D3xxx or D5xxx for now if you want light weight. Soon, a DX sensor sized Nikon mirrorless system should be out and that also will be light weight. I just see a significant leap in sensor improvement between CX and DX such that I would not use CX. I realize Thomas Stirr is a fan of the Nikon 1 system and uses it extensively. His photos are good but how much better would they be if shot with a DX sensor? As an aside, I have to admit that ever since experiencing my first FX sensor in the D600 I have really preferred working with full frame images in post processing. I am looking forward to a lightweight full frame mirrorless body if Nikon ever produces one.
    Post edited by donaldejose on
  • nek4lifenek4life Posts: 123Member

2) They are small and light and attaching a very small portable plastic tripod would not be an issue and that would allow base iso images in low light. And that would beat any DSLR at high ISO ! I used to use something like this (but even more flimsy) with my Coolpix P5000... "Mini Portable Foldable Tripod Stand" http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/221858614492 But there are better ones these days ..

Great idea! These cameras being so small, yet feature rich is what really caught my eye. The 24-70mm is probably more in my price range for what I'd spend on one of these, but the 18-50mm seems like pretty useful focal lengths as well albeit a little more expensive.
    edited March 2016
    @donaldejose , The base sensor data from DXO is good. You may know that I have good confidence in DXO data :-). However, as we all know raw data is not the final result of the image... Have a look at this ISO 4000 image from the J5 .. you cant say that that is not useful enough High ISO capability for most shooting requirements .. the thing is there is a big difference between 14MP 403 DXO and 20 MP 479 DXO (Plus increases in dynamic range and colour depth). The reviewer goes on to say "But what about real images rather than just test data?" and provides this image at ISO 4000.
    http://tomstirrphotography.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/J5-detail-5.jpg

Of course nikon's best DX sensor beats the J5/DL sensor. I love my D7200 its really very very nice. However, its still no match for my old D610 FX sensor but I still use my D7200 more and get good results. Just like I use the old V1 and get good results. You use the tools that you have at hand and the DL will definitely be more handy than any DSLR in many situations. The new sensor in the DL I belief should be more than adequate for most situations, even when there is low light (small tripods and ISO 3200 should be able to deal with most of these Use Cases).

PS: I am so looking forward to a new Nikon1V4 !! It should have at least the tech of the DL and I am hopeful that they finally nail the features suitable for that product line (Advanced CX) I am hoping that it would be something that complements and works with the D5, D500 line. (Proper Hotshoe, CLS/WirelessFlash, better AF functionality with Nikkor lenses)

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    NSXTypeR said:

So... who's thinking about actually buying a DL but already owns a high end compact already?

*raises hand*

I'm thinking of buying the 18-50 f/1.2-2.8 model so I can pry off the lens and make it work on my V3 ;)
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    The Nikon DL 18-50 looks pretty good still to me! waivering on maybe one of these.....we. Use the Nikon 1AW 1 a lot, but my son now carries it on his construction work and that means I need to buy another, or get say another D7200, I use the D7100 most with the 16-80.....Nikon will not release the D7300 for sometime, the D500 we ordered, body only is still awhile before that arrives......sometimes nice to have a small camera.....I used to use my D3200 more than I do now......D7100 or D7200 is just easier to operate.....those tiny little focus girds on the D3200 are not user friendly......so again really looking at the DL 18-50..... But I admit.....bring out a D7300 and I would forget that cute little camera thing pretty quick....the D3400 is coming out very soon.....maybe Nikon will have found out how to get it to focus on a spot without the tiny dot focus point. I always shoot on aperture priority by the way and JPEG fine large......sure I have tried everything else!!! I always set my cameras on I select the spot for focus. I don't need or want a camera auto selecting that for me, which can't tell a pumpkin or a salt shaker from a person.....I also want max depth of field without loosing to much to diffraction.....maybe f8'to f11???

• SportsSports Posts: 365Member
    DaveyJ said:

... the D500 we ordered, body only is still awhile before that arrives...... so again really looking at the DL 18-50.

I agree that the new DL line looks good, but they're even more into the future than the D500.
    Btw, both D500 and the DLs have face priority auto-focus. As they're new, advanced, from Nikon, and rather expensive, we cannot rule out that it'll actually work fast and reliable this time.
    D300, J1
    Sigma 70-200/2.8, 105/2.8
    Nikon 50/1.4G, 18-200, 80-400G
    1 10-30, 30-110
    Face priority focus gets turned off here whe the Nikons arrive. No interest in a programmed focus that can't tell between a pumpkin, a salt shaker, or the like and a person. We greatly favor a single focus point which all Nikon's can be set to. When they go to Melville, Long Island for repair....they get set back to the face priority and all other setting. Then back to us where we have to put in our fast and accurate preferences. Since we are famous for extreme action, check out Black Sky Films U Tube Unadlilla, 2016 Awesome Start......That is our racing.....and our photography simultaneous! Same simultaneous action (work) and photography in Black Sky Films U Tube 2016 Ice Palace which again is a 4 minute video....!!!

I have made the formal decision to add a D500, and yet another D7200, again skipping the smaller sensors. But our only FF Nikon left standing here is the F5 and all the lens for it. We don't want or need shallow depth of field. Also the Nikon DSLRs,are plenty big enough for us....also our total expenditure on photography gear is aerial, underwater, of POV mostly driven. But the recent Nikon introductions we feel are super and we,will be getting several.

I understand my Nikon 1 AW 1 will be given back,to me for my personal when I don't want to,take a big camera. I have a D3200 Nikon I still use when I want a smaller camera and the danger is too great to take a bigger Nikon DSLR.

So again the Nikon DL 18-50 is a camera I am very interested in......but I decided I'd even rather have a D3400 and another 18-55 kits lens when Nikon introduces that, but even that move would have to compete with buying yet another D7200.

The second mentioned work and action video is night fireworks start by the way.....It obviously is not all Nikon DSLR!!! But the Nikon DL 18-50 (equivalent!!!) got my interest. Beautiful little camera.....wish I just could buy one to see for myself! But at the end of our day here....when we look at our results....it is only image quality and usability for promoting our work or interests that count now. Still the DL 18-50 has to be one of the nicest small rigs Nikon has made. Guess my Nikon 1 AW 1 is still going to own that niche! Also I don't think anyone should discount what the new to be announced Nikon D3400 will bring to the industry. For that matter the current D3300 is most excellent! Now I'll bounce over to Thom Hogan's site and see what he says about D3300??
    Well, if anyone wanted a good explanation of why the Nikon DL is delayed to such an extent, here's a photo of a Sony sensor plant after the earthquake from DPReview.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/3628069624/pictures-show-the-devestation-inside-sony-s-earthquake-struck-sensor-factory

Not that it excuses Nikon from saying virtually nothing about delays, but it goes to show how extensive the damage was.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    edited February 2017
    Well, there's no need to hold your breath anymore for a Nikon DL anything.

http://nikonrumors.com/2017/02/13/nikon-cancels-all-three-dl-cameras-because-of-profitability-concerns-no-word-on-future-development.aspx/

https://www.dpreview.com/news/6864148000/nikon-cancels-dl-compact-series-citing-high-development-cost

I'm totally speculating here though, but I think part of the problem because Nikon was depending on Sony for such an integral part of the camera that they didn't leave themselves much wiggle room when natural disasters strike them hard.

With the Nikon Dl canceled, would it be safe to say that the Nikon 1 is dead too?

To be honest, I was looking forward to the Nikon DL, it seems like the direction compact cameras were headed anyway- higher end stuff to differentiate itself from better and better phone cameras. I guess we'll never find out.
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Nikon 1 has been dead for a while me thinks, the last camera (J5) was released in April 2015 and that was a minor update at that.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • Rx4PhotoRx4Photo Posts: 1,200Member
    Nikon needs to stop phlucking around with DL's and coolpix and develop a proper high end full frame mirrorless camera chock full of technology. If not, their camera division will be "Ni-gone." Nobody carries general cameras anymore. Everyone's using cellphones! So Nikon, come out with something that serious photographers are willing to spend extra money on. Ok!?
    D800 | D7000 | Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 35mm f/1.8G | 85mm f/1.4G | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar ZF.2 | Flash controllers: Phottix Odin TTL

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Harsh but fair @Rx4Photo. Frustrating isn't it.
    Always learning.
  • SnowleopardSnowleopard Posts: 244Member
    After I had a chance to check out a sensor size chart and I saw how far down the 1 inch sensors are; while I would like a compact camera to compliment my DSLR's. 1 inch is so small that I am not even going to consider it, so not a big deal to me now.

I really would want "close" to D810 / D5 performance in a compact package. Nikon isn't going to do that. They can file for chapter 11 or 13 for all I care at this point.
    ||COOLPIX 5000|●|D70|●|D700|●|D810|●|AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D|●|AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D|●|AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G|●|AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D|●|AF-S Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED (Silver)|●|AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III|●|PB-6 Bellows|●|EL-NIKKOR 50mm f/2.8||
    Snowleopard, just curious, what other cameras do you use? I use a Sony RX100 and I really like the results I'm getting. It's great when I can't or won't carry a DSLR.

I was excited for Nikon to come out with their on 1 inch sensor cameras, but I guess that won't be happening for the near future.
    Digital it is the D810, D700 and D70 both of the later are retired. Film, I shoot Mamyia 6x7.
    ||COOLPIX 5000|●|D70|●|D700|●|D810|●|AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D|●|AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D|●|AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G|●|AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D|●|AF-S Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED (Silver)|●|AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III|●|PB-6 Bellows|●|EL-NIKKOR 50mm f/2.8||
    The coolpix 5000 is also retired*
    Hmm, so you don't shoot with any compact cameras at all? Cell phone maybe?

For days when I don't want to carry a DSLR but want way more control than a cell phone, the Sony RX100 has been very enjoyable. The menu system is clunky, sure, but I use it less often than a Nikon DSLR so that's to be expected.

I was hoping Nikon would go that route so I wouldn't have to relearn menus and stuff like that. There's probably some brand loyalty involved there too.

I'm probably far more likely to buy another compact camera than another DSLR body. I'd probably only do that if I kill my D7000 the same way I killed my D40- putting too many shots through.

Oh well.
  • Rx4PhotoRx4Photo Posts: 1,200Member
    edited February 2017
    If Nikon announced a mirrorless that looks like the Df with the silver top/black bottom - I'd be the first to click "buy." I was actually somewhat looking forward to their DL series because I want something to throw into my messenger bag to take anywhere I flit off to. Been watching Fuji's and Sony's for a while ... even Olympus PEN-F. I guess I want a little "fashion" and tech in a compact.

My coworker and I were so close to buying the Hasselblad Lunar a couple of years ago when the price dropped. Yes, it was a Sony with a facelift but still, I loved the style.
    Post edited by Rx4Photo on
    D800 | D7000 | Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 35mm f/1.8G | 85mm f/1.4G | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar ZF.2 | Flash controllers: Phottix Odin TTL

• manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    Rx4Photo said:

I was actually somewhat looking forward to their DL series because I want something to throw into my messenger bag to take anywhere I flit off to.

I suggest the iPhone 8. New rumors suggest it now is supposed to shoot in 3D.