Any problems using a "Legacy" Nikkor 85mm F2 lens on a Nikon D7x00?

pvc2112pvc2112 Posts: 5Member
Hey all, I have a very nice Nikkor 85mm F2 lens from when I was a shooter 30 years ago, (got the lens in 1985) I was hoping to use on my D7200. I also have a D7000.

I have set the Fn button on both cameras to recognize a non cpu lens but the problem I have on both cameras is that I can only get a good exposure when I go to live view and manual mode. IN Aperture priority mode, it over exposes every time. I am also setting the ISO manually as well.

That and no matter what I do, I am not getting a clear sharp focus on the lens. The DOF regardless of the stops I use is not very good and is usually pretty shallow. It matters not if I am using the viewfinder or live view.

So, any ideas of what is going on exposure wise or the focus problem.

Comments

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    edited March 2016
    I hoped this blokes site would come in handy one day! I assume you have the Nikon 85mm f/2 AI or AI-s (1977-1995):

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/85f2ais.htm

Looks like there is a problem of some sort, could just be a contact clean, if not, I'd confirm with Nikon that it should work then if so, I'd send it in for service.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,444Member
    edited March 2016
    Spraynpray@ No contacts on this one mate ..

If shooting jpeg the sharpness at at least +7. I have found the older lenses lack contrast so I put this up to +2.

Rockwell says it works fine in A mode ...did you have it set at F22 and then select the aperture with the control wheel ..?? Matrix metering I think he said. Use auto iso 200-6400.

You can add a focus chip to the mount which gives you the auto functions you are lacking but programme it on the D7000 as I have found the 71/72 lock the chip ...ok to set on 7000 and then use on the D7200

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AF-confirm-chip-for-Nikon-D60-D70-D80-D90-D200-D300-D700-D5100-D3100-D5000-D3000-/201295853135?hash=item2ede2af64f:g:5pkAAOxyfS1RyuZ~
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • pvc2112pvc2112 Posts: 5Member
    Hey guys, thanks for the info, yea, I checked out Ken's website for more information. It is a normal AI lens from the 1977-1995. I will double check that I had it on F22 when in A mode. Not sure it will work with a non-cpu lens. I checked the manual and all it said was that you can only use it in A mode or manual mode.

Like I said, either camera, in Live view, it will expose correctly but will not have the proper DOF, in manual or A mode. Once I view through the viewfinder, it over expose every time.
  • PapermanPaperman Posts: 469Member
    edited March 2016
    Assuming the EXIF will not show it, figure out a way ( use a mirror ) to see if the aperture/diaphgram is closing correctly to the aperture you choose when you press the shutter . Check the EXIF to also see if the shutter speed is the same as what it indicated at the time of taking the shot. That is why it might be exposing correctly ( by altering the shutter speed ) while staying at widest aperture ( which explains the lack of DOF ).

Also check what happens when you are at f2. It should not be able to over expose ( since the diaphgram not closing won't have any effect )

Small chance but you also have to make sure you are not within or near too dark/too light conditions which will limit the camera's exposure selection. ( f2 in sunlight and you may end up in overexposure if it runs out of shutter speeds )

That will give an idea about what is going on in Live View in A mode. If it happens in M mode as well, check if Auto ISO in ON/OFF. We can then try to figure out why the camera acts differently when NOT using the LV. Are conditions exactly the same for both LV and Viewfinder shots ?
    Post edited by Paperman on
  • CaMeRaQuEsTCaMeRaQuEsT Posts: 357Member
    edited March 2016
    There's a chapter on "Non CPU lenses" in the D7100 manual (page 149) that shows you how to set up the camera to work with old Ai/Ais lenses, did you go through those steps? I too own a copy of that lens (bought it on Mr. Rockwell's advice non the less) and it worked fine with my D7100. BTW, it's on pages 224-226 on the D7200's manual, or just search for the "Non CPU" chapter on the PDF version of your manual.
    Post edited by CaMeRaQuEsT on
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,287Member
    edited March 2016
    Is this your only AI/AI-S lens? Try testing it with other lenses, it might be your camera body's problem.

I have a D7000 and I've used it with the 50mm 1.2, I've had no problems using it in manual or aperture priority mode.
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    Just remembered something that happened to my 28mm f2.8 AiS: the aperture blades are sticking and won't stop down no matter what aperture you set the lens in. Try this with the lens off a camera: look through its lenses and turn the aperture ring around: if you don't see the aperture blades close then they are sticky and the lens needs a CLA.
    Nice one CaMeRaQuEsT, your suggestion sounds right. I've had sticky blades before on an old lens. Dunno why I forgot that.
    Always learning.
  • PapermanPaperman Posts: 469Member
    That is why I said check if the aperture closes to what is selected when shutter is pressed. ( it may close off the camera but it may not on the camera ). That is the only explanation to an overexposure and also to a correct exposure without the correct DOF.
    I think after working with it this morning, that the diaphragm blades are either sticking or broken. Used a 50mm and it worked correctly. So I am leaning towards the lens being broken now. Sooo, I guess I'll check and see if it is worth repairing or just trashing it

Thans for all the help guys

Paperman said:

Assuming the EXIF will not show it, figure out a way ( use a mirror ) to see if the aperture/diaphgram is closing correctly to the aperture you choose when you press the shutter . Check the EXIF to also see if the shutter speed is the same as what it indicated at the time of taking the shot. That is why it might be exposing correctly ( by altering the shutter speed ) while staying at widest aperture ( which explains the lack of DOF ).

Also check what happens when you are at f2. It should not be able to over expose ( since the diaphgram not closing won't have any effect )

Small chance but you also have to make sure you are not within or near too dark/too light conditions which will limit the camera's exposure selection. ( f2 in sunlight and you may end up in overexposure if it runs out of shutter speeds )

That will give an idea about what is going on in Live View in A mode. If it happens in M mode as well, check if Auto ISO in ON/OFF. We can then try to figure out why the camera acts differently when NOT using the LV. Are conditions exactly the same for both LV and Viewfinder shots ?

• framerframer Posts: 491Member
    It should not cost that much to fix. That 85 is a great lens, use to own one. I use several AIS lens all the time with my D3s and D810. I've had to have a couple CLA'd in the last few years and both came back working like new. Those 30 YO nikkor's will be around for 100 years long after all my AFS AFD lens have been made into pots and pans.

framer
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,444Member
    glad you found the problem ..if you move the aperture lever with it off the camera does the iris open up ? ( set f22 move it with your finger..it should be at f22 and then open up )
    edited March 2016
    Where do you even send it for CLA?

Does Nikon service old lenses?

Glad you figured it out, shame about the lens, but at least it doesn't sound like a hard fix.
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    Provided Nikon have - or can get - parts, they will CLA any Nikon product.
    Always learning.
    I used KEH.com for the old manual lenses.

framer
    Hey all, yep, it is the diaphragm sticking. SO, now I need to figure out where to send it. Someone mentioned KEH for old manual Lenses. I looked on Nikons page and it didn't seem like there were any authorized repair centers nearDallas, Texas. Open for suggestions
    UPS and good packaging?
    Always learning.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    There are only two Nikon repair centers in the US, California and NY.
    Old pre-AF lenses from basically all brands were very sturdily made and relatively simple to service, so I guess any reputable shop in town will be able to do a CLA to your lens without problems, but having said that many shops that did well in the past haven't survived the "obsolete and trashable in 5 years" digital age, which also brought along the age of the cheap, expendable lenses.
    You should ask if they will tear it down and clean the blades of the diaphragm or just put a drop of very light oil on them to get them working. In 3-6 months it would be worse than before.

framer
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    I have used the 55mm up to 200mm AI converted and AIs lenses on a D5100 setting aperture with the lens and in A or M mode. I set the ISO and shutter speed watching the histogram. Not fast in rapidly changing stage lighting. When lighting is consistent you can concentrate on focusing and get a higher rate of keepers after you nail the exposure. That has been several years ago and haven't used them much since I got some good modern zoom glass. I shoot mostly wildlife and sports.

I am looking forward to trying them on a D500 it should take some trial and error out. It should be fun but waiting to see how the D500 shakes out in some reviews before I pull the trigger on that.
  • picturetedpictureted Posts: 153Member
    The blades on my 55/2.8 AIS macro are stuck. I plan on trying the repair myself sometime on a rainy day. There are a number of internet articles detailing the steps required. I thought about having it professionally done, but this lens has a reputation for needing the repair more than once, plus the cost is higher than I'd like.

My 85/2 AIS hasn't seemed that good to me on my D810, unlike the 105/2.5 AIS which is wonderful. I'd buy a good used 105 before I'd pay to repair the 85. The new 85/1.8G is also among their best, so a new replacement also makes sense.
    pictureted at flickr
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited April 2016
    Here is an NIKKOR-H Auto 1:1.8 f=85mm (Circa 1966) on a D4. This was modified by John White in Ann Arbor, Michigan so as to fit the D4.

NIKKOR-H 85mm f/1.8 (Ca. 1966)

Look at it here for sharpness..

https://www.flickr.com/photos/fantinesfotos/8706075576/sizes/o/
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
    Just thought I would let everyone know, I got the lens repaired locally here in Fort Worth at a place called Shutter Works on White Settlement road. Great work, Only a C Note to do it. Lens is like new.

Thanks for all the input.
    Glad things worked out for you. Share your work with your newly working lens!