PLEASE HELP! D600 did I just ruin my camera?

kfitz343kfitz343 Posts: 7Member
edited April 2013 in Nikon DSLR cameras
So my D600 has dust issues, I took a can of dust blower to it very very lightly however liquid came out of the can and is now on the sensor. I know I wasnt supposed to do this in the first place i thought it would be a quick fix but now its just compounded the problem. Can this be cleaned? Or did I just ruin the camera

Comments

• Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited April 2013
    @kfitz343: I do not believe you have damaged your sensor. However, the best thing to do right now is to find yourself a local camera shop and take it in have them clean your sensor. If this is your first DSLR then I would recommend them doing it. Then once you are able to breath again and all is good...we will give you some options in how to properly clean your sensor in the future yourself, in the proper fashion. But, for now just go make some calls and go that route!

In closing, you will be fine....don't worry.
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I expect it is OK provided the propellant isn't too aggressive. If you just send it to Nikon service for a clean, they will soon tell you if there is a problem - better to do this that ask us because we don't know without seeing the camera and air container or trying to clean the sensor.

Sorry you had this problem, act quickly now to minimise the agonising.
    Always learning.
  • kfitz343kfitz343 Posts: 7Member
    Camera store is closed until tomorrow, will be there 1st thing. Very amateur mistake I didnt listen to what I was told, but if this problem ends up being minimal It's taught me how delicate these instruments really are. I stepped up from the basic D3000, had it for 5 years I love taking photos as a hobby, finally decided to make the serious jump to the D600. I'm not to worried about this whole dust issue...its a professional camera it should be cleaned regularly regardless, but I really hope I didn't just ruin this sensor.
  • TaoTeJaredTaoTeJared Posts: 1,306Member
    Canned air is about the worst thing you can use next to a sand blaster. It's not so much the propellant (although it is very bad as well) as it is the freezing gas on the sensor. It can ruin it quite quick.

Keep your fingers crossed.

If it did take out the sensor you are looking at about $500 to fix it from what people have said in the past getting sensors replaced.
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
    Ill let you guys know the outcome. Should have an idea tomorrow early morning
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited April 2013
    This is the reason it is suggested not to use canned air. However, I have used this stuff, but from about a foot away, at an angle so the air swirls around in the mirror box, dislodging the dirt and dust. Then one follows with the direct air from a hand blower to actually remove what dust is on the sensor. But, the best practice is to avoid the canned air except from a large distance and then only to blow dust off the outside, very gently. One does not want to force dust and dirt into the crevices joints, lens rings, etc., of the camera.
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • RenardRichie13RenardRichie13 Posts: 51Member
    Relax, you didn't ruin your sensor. I clean my own sensor using http://www.copperhillimages.com/?pr=tutorials
    And i know for sure that It is the anti aliasing mirror on top of that sensor. That is what you're cleaning not on the actual sensor.

Depending on how much liquid comes out I'm more worried on if its too much liquid and it went down to the sensor. If its just a drop just wipe it off and its fine. If you're not comfortable cleaning it yourself go to camera place and ask them to clean it. Next time don't use canned air. or buy the one without the damaging liquid.
    It was a quick burst of liquid compressed air. Just the bottom right of the sensor shows a smear.
    Yeah no, your sensor is fine. if you brave enough buy eclipse liquid and that copperhill cleaning thing.
    If not just pay 40 bucks for sensor cleaning and it's fine. Like i said before there is a mirror above the sensor and that is what you're cleaning.
  • tmantman Posts: 27Member
    I'm not a camera expert but liquid coming out of the can should vaporize readily-- that's kind of the point of spray cans so if you have LIQUID staying on your sensor I wonder if that's moisture (water): Alot of the liquid coming out at once would cool the bejesus out of the sensor as it is vaporizing causing moisture to condense-- like if you take the lens cover off a VERY cold lens outside of the Mohave desert. I haven't used compressed air on sensors since I worry about damaging them with the pressure of the gas but I have used them on old computer motherboards since I'm probably an idiot. I don't know where you are in the world but if there is an environment to put the camera that is quite dust-free and allows the moisture to leave the camera I'd probably place it face down in that environment for appropriate time and see if the condensed liquid goes completely away, then test with my best lens at F8 in good light at high shutter speed (or on a tripod) to confirm myself no damage has occurred.

There is a wikipedia article that talks about the compressed gas cleaners-gasses are similar to the ones used in refrigeration. In refrigerators a piston squishes it into a liquid and it really wants to be a vapor at room T so it expands after the piston cooling it's surrounding. The thing with refrigerants is that they are not typically inert in the modern age so maybe they will react with what they touch. Since they vaporize readily don't ASSUME that a short exposure will damage the lens-- just test the camera after the liquid is gone and only worry IF there is a visible impact on the image where the pooling liquid was observed.
  • GarethGareth Posts: 159Member
    did you have the can vertical when you sprayed the sensor? holding the can on an angle usually caused propellant to fire from the nozzle.
    I wish it was only $40 to get it cleaned. I'm in CT and the only place around me charges $75 and sends it away. And I think that was the issue the can was slightly tilted.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited April 2013
    I don't think you are going to make things any worse by cleaning it, with a wipe as, suggested by RenardRichie13
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
    Its been a day or two we're talking about this. that liquid is long evaporated. Anything residue left on the mirror would just become smudge. Its not ruining the sensor or the AA filter glass.

You might notice a slight spots when you shoot at f11+ just like when you noticed dust the second you start going that high. If you shoot open 1.4-2.8 ish you would never see it.

When you have money saved up just pay up 75 bucks, send it cleaned get it back thats that.
    I clean my sensor every year and just started last year cleaning it myself saving tons of money overtime.
    I found a place in NYC called photo tech I'm going there tomorrow morning at 8 am its only $40 to clean same day pick up, great reviews. But thanks Rich, yeah theres only a smudge shouldn't be an issue now I've taken a few shots no problems but can see the smudge in the photos at f11+
    What is the results on this @kfitz? are you happy happy? :)
    I am all good! $70 clean at photo tech in NYC no problems at all. Looks like it's fresh out of the box
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    @kfitz343

Very happy all worked out....thread will close....
    Msmoto, mod
This discussion has been closed.