Is it still a good time to buy the 14-24mm 2.8G?

starralaznstarralazn Posts: 204Member
edited July 2015 in Nikon Lenses
So, there appears to be a fair sale on a 14-24mm 2.8G, refurbished over at BuyDig(lets not talk about whether or not to buy refurbished)

Looking at the buying guide, it says that you should wait to buy the 24-70mm, and yet it's 'time' to buy the 14-24mm.
however, they were both released at the same time (apparently with the D3).

what are your thoughts? is it because the 24-70mm is an allpurpose lens that should be updated more quickly, and we're unlikely to see a formula update on 14-24mm? how does the release of the 11-24mm on the Canon side affect this situation?
Tagged:

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    There are patients for a replacement of the 24-70mm f2.8, which is why the guide is saying to wait. There are no current rumors of a 14-24mm f2.8 replacement on the other hand.

Nothing wrong with buying refurbished, just make sure you check the sellers ratings before jumping on the product.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • JonMcGuffinJonMcGuffin Posts: 312Member
    With the Tamron 15-30 2.8 VC out there, I think the time to buy the 14-24 has passed ;). It's obviously a stellar optic for a zoom but the Tamron seems to match it and adds stabilization at a far lessor price.
  • starralaznstarralazn Posts: 204Member
    interesting perspective... however 15 is not 14(who knows if i'll even be able to tell the difference), and while i liked my third party dx standard zoom, it just didnt feel the same...

the 14-24mm is 1330~ w/o tax from buy dig right now (with a coupon) so... i just went with that, thanks all for your insights :)
  • kyoshinikonkyoshinikon Posts: 411Member
    The 14-24mm is a fantastic lens. With the wides the difference between 14 & 15mm is fairly large especially considering that the tamron is actually around 15.88mm wide where the 14 in the 14-24mm is actually 14mm. Hopefully they make that 10mm f/4 fx aspherical tho to come out with the D5.
    “To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It’s at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.” - Bresson
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    edited July 2015
    Good responese so far, there shouldn't be any new 14-24mm Nikkor lenses coming out in the near future. Most likely, prices have dropped on used and grey market copies. If you decide to pick up a sample beware, a lot of bad copies floating around as its very hard to keep the front element pristine or even in decent shape for many users. You won't be disappointed with the lens though, its phenomenal in nearly every way. However, it totally blew me away more on the D700 than the D800 line I have found ;)
    Post edited by kanuck on
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    If you really want to go wide consider the Tokina 11-20 2.8. I like mine so far but haven't had a lot of time to use it yet. it takes filters too.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    If you really want to go wide consider the Tokina 11-20 2.8. I like mine so far but haven't had a lot of time to use it yet. it takes filters too.
    The Tok is a DX lens only.
    Always learning.
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    There will always be the temptation to wait for the next new thing, but look at what you're missing now. The Nikon 14-70 has an excellent resale value, so even when its replaced you won't loose a fortune if you decided to sell.
    The real question is does your workflow photography need a wide angle lens. I have the 14-24 lens but find it not the most used lens I use.
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
    wide isn't my strong suit. but the times that i need it, i have always enjoyed change in perspective, we shall see how much i use it.
  • DenverShooterDenverShooter Posts: 416Member
    I have the Nikon 14mm to 24mm F/2.8 and it is a monster lens. In the right hands and in the right situation it makes incredible images. Someday I hope to be as good of a photographer as that lens is capable of. :)

Yes its big, expensive and Lee Polarizing filter and adapter will set you back huge bucks but it makes images you can't get any other way. I usually have it always on one of my bodies because you never know when the wide angle itch will need to be scratched.

I used it last Sunday to shoot 4 Porsche in front of the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, Colorado and it made incredible images... My editor went WOW..

Denver Shooter
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    It is a fabulous lens. Rather than deal with the polarizers (you can spend $2 grand and end up with acrylic still, not glass) I bought the AIS lenses in my bag with step up rings to 77mm.

Kyoshinikon was very astute to point out that the Tamron 15-30 2.8 really only goes to 15.88mm. This makes it a competitor to the 16-35 4.0, not the 14-24 2.8. That extra 1.88mm is huge at the wide end. Remember what the 13mm 5.6 sells for used even today.

I must admit, I don't use my 14-28 a lot, but when I need to shoot ultra ultra wide, out it comes.

• Ryan_in_AZRyan_in_AZ Posts: 13Member
    I've used the 14-24 and it's a fantastic lens. Now I own the Tamron 15(ish)-30 VC 2.8 and I'm really loving it. There is no denying that the 14-24 is wider. But as long as I'm not looking at two pictures taken from the same camera on the same tripod between the Nikon at 14 and the Tamron at 15, I'll never actually notice the loss. The pano stitching is so good in LR now that I've been taking huge panos with it that make the 14 vs 15 debate a non-issue for my personal needs. My OPINION is that for me, the Tamron at $1300 was a far better decision than the Nikon at $2000. I get VC, and better flare prevention looking into the sun. You will undoubtedly be giggling during your first outing with either lens.
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    This was taken with the Nikon 14-24 Lens with a Fotodiox Polerizing filter on
    Crackpot-Falls Swaledale
    The area was quite dark with a lot of tree coverage.
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
  • SnowleopardSnowleopard Posts: 244Member
    edited August 2015
    I have the most recent version of the 14-24 and the only thing that bugs me is that it does not have the FL lens coating....... That is a huge front glass element and keeping it clean is a.............

I don't understand why at $1999 (US) it does not have a FL coating.
    Post edited by Snowleopard on
    ||COOLPIX 5000|●|D70|●|D700|●|D810|●|AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D|●|AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D|●|AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G|●|AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D|●|AF-S Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED (Silver)|●|AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III|●|PB-6 Bellows|●|EL-NIKKOR 50mm f/2.8||
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    @Snowleopard Because the lens was release in 2007, long before Nikon started using that technology.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    edited August 2015
    @Snowleopard Because the lens was release in 2007, long before Nikon started using that technology.
    Yebbut I think Snowleopard is right, for that money they could stick an 'FL' label on it and use a coated front lens group and call it a MkII. Might even prompt a sales spike. :)
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
    If you are still worried starralazn you could always spring for the cheap 14mm Samyang prime lens. I think you'd be pleased with the results for just about $300! Seriously its quite a nice little gem for the cost. Something to think about
  • proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    I have played with this lens once. It seemed to be a great piece of glass. My guess is that if Nikon were to release a replacement tomorrow the current model would still be capable of taking excellent pictures. (I guess the same goes for the newly released 24-70.)
    interesting @kanuck, although i already jumped on the 14-24mm :D
    It is a really good lens. I bought it because at 14mm, it has superior optical performance to the 14mm prime. This is the only instance of an up to date zoom beating an up to date prime that I am aware of in the Nikon lineup. At 24mm, the 24 1.4G is better.

Sometimes I think this is more a case of mediocre primes rather than a great zoom, but I am not sure. That is a discussion for a different thread.
    edited August 2015
    The 14-24 was untouchable when it was released back in 2007, but that was when we were dealing with 10~12mp. Now that we are regularly over 24 it comes back to earth. Its merely excellent now. You are right though proudgeek even with a refresh there would be nothing wrong with buying the N original version and holding onto it. Unless of course they did something new concerning the weight or the protruding bulbous front element.
    Post edited by kanuck on
    I would really like to see them refresh the 17-35 2.8. Too me, combined with a 70-200 2.8 (also due for a refresh), that would be more useful. I don't typically shoot zooms, but I might partake in some event photography where the zooms would be useful. The "client" would buy the lenses for me.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    @WestEndFoto, the extra rubber ring on the lens controls the Focal Length. You twist it to increase or decrease the Focal Length instead of moving closer or farther away. You might want to get a cheap zoom and practice a bit before doing any events, just so you don't forget where the ring is. I worry about you Prime fetishists not being able to operate a zoom properly when "crunch time" happens. :P
    edited August 2015
    @WestEndFoto, the extra rubber ring on the lens controls the Focal Length. You twist it to increase or decrease the Focal Length instead of moving closer or farther away. You might want to get a cheap zoom and practice a bit before doing any events, just so you don't forget where the ring is. I worry about you Prime fetishists not being able to operate a zoom properly when "crunch time" happens. :P
    Ha ha! Yes I keep thinking that my 14-24 has two focus rings. It drives me crazy!

Imagine my surprise when I bought my 14mm prime. I thought 14-24 was a focus fine tune feature.....turns out it is a continuously variable teleconverter.
    Post edited by WestEndFoto on