Problem with Tamron lenses on D800

leonsuetfeldleonsuetfeld Posts: 8Member
edited July 2013 in D6x0/D7x0/D8x0
Hey guys,

I have a problem with the D800 and my two Tamron 2.8 lenses.
The two are the 24-70/2.8 and the new 70-200/2.8 USD. The problem is hat the camera acts like they're the same lens in the AF-adjustment menu. I.e. any adjustment value I set will be used for both lenses. E.g. all AF-adjustment values are deleted, then I put the 24-70 on. I adjust it to say -7 and the menu has a new entry of a 24-70/2.8 @ -7. Now I put the 70-200/2.8 on and the adjustment setting is automatically at -7, because it uses the 24-70 entry. I can change it, but back with the 24-70 that setting is then also changed (obviously, since it is the same entry). If I put the 70-200 on first, when there are no entries yet, the new entry will be called 70-200/2.8, but with the same effect. Then the 24-70 will use that entry. As soon as I put a Nikkor lens on (I have the 50/1.4 and 85/1.8) they get recognized correctly and each (of the Nikkors) has its own entry.

The firmware on my D800 is up to date. Has anyone ever experienced a similar problem and can tell me what their solution was? When I called Nikon they said it's not their fault but Tamrons. Now I haven't had a chance to call Tamron about it (gonna do that tomorrow), but I sorta have a feeling they will say it's Nikons fault. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Leon

Comments

• JJ_SOJJ_SO Posts: 1,158Member
    Speaking about "faults" would be pointless from Tamron's side: They want to sell their lenses which is not Nikon's interest. So they should find a way to make it work. Maybe you need to send it in to update the firmware of the lens, but Tamron will know better than me.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Sure sounds like something is causing the camera to mistake the lenses for each other. I would phone a friend with a Nikon and try the same lenses and procedure on theirs. Perfection would be to then try another of those lenses at the store and see what happens before you called Nikon or call Tamron. At least that way you would have more data to tell them even if you didn't get it sorted by doing so.
    Always learning.
  • leonsuetfeldleonsuetfeld Posts: 8Member
    Yes, thank you. I spoke to Tamron and it sounded pretty much like they are clueless. They said, the only lens-specifying exif-data that is transmitted from Tamron lenses to camera bodies is the focal length and the maximum aperture. Now this data should be sufficient to distinguish a 24-70 from a 70-200. If the D800 can't do it, it's Nikons fault. They suggested I send both lenses and the D800 in so they can adjust them perfectly to the body and I no longer need the AF-adjustment setting. However, right now (over the summer) I can't go without the D800 for a week or so, since I need it to earn money. I do however need a properly working 24-70 & 70-200 set of lenses.

I also wrote an email to Nikon and Tamron, asking them to talk to each other and fix this problem via firmware, since I'm probably not the only experiencing this issue (now or in the future). At the same time I'm trying to return the 70-200 due to malfunctioning. I'm trying to get rid of it in favor of a Nikkor 70-200 f4, hope the store will show some good will here, I'd hate to consult my lawyer about this.
    Hold your horses with the lawyer - this won't solve your problems in short term. Nikon is far away from guaranteeing proper function of any non-Nikkors, so it's really Tamron who should put more effort in recognizable lens data. This "we adjust your lens to your camera" is a process I went through with a Pentax long ago. It took a while and didn't solve the problem basically because the second body needed AF-adjustment, too. So, to which body they decide to make the adjustment? Given, you get a second body that problem would come to you as well. And the Nikkor 70-200/4 VRIII is fantastic value for money.

In that case, I appreciate very much the way Sigma goes with their new lines and the USB-dock for it. That makes the adjustment of the prime-lens to four different distances a piece of cake and is more demanding for Zooms. But at the end of the day you get a perfect adjusted lens for one body and for the rest of bodies I can still use AF-adjustment.
    edited July 2013
    Yes, very good point! As of now I don't have multiple bodies, but that could really result in an issue, which is not covered in the workaround. Gives me a good argument for trying to return the Tamron 70-200 for malfunction.

As I said, I'd hate to consult my lawyer since I know how long it takes when dragging someone to court (I just had a very simple (and totally unrelated) legal issue resolved after 11 months without going to court). It's the last option, and in my emails towards the store and both Nikon and Tamron I was very polite. I asked Nikon and Tamron to work together in order to sort out a communication problem between their devices. Of course, I totally agree that it's mostly in Tamrons interest to fix this issue and Nikon is not really to blame. But obviously someone at Tamron (in the lens firmware/ design department) doesn't know what information the D800 needs from a lens in order to distinguish it from a different lens. So they need this information from someone at Nikon in order to fix it. That is what I'm trying to encourage here.

From what I read the Nikkor 70-200/4 is a great lens with very good to excellent resolution figures across the frame even wide open. I wanted the Tamron for it's speed, but given the Nikkor is extremely sharp from f/4 on, it's something that I could work with. The Nikkor 70-200/2.8 is not in the competition. It is beyond budget for me, and I'd rather wait for an update on that, resolution figures are for my taste a little too inconsistent across settings for the asking price. If the next 2.8 had the same consistency as the f4 has now, that would be two grand well worth spent though. But this is not the point here. With the issue at hand, I want the Tamron 70-200/2.8 to go and get the Nikkor 70-200/4 instead.
    Post edited by leonsuetfeld on
    If you don't need the faster shutter-speed (which is only one f-stop anyway) I know by own experience the 70-200/4 will VR-wise outperform the Nikkor 70-200/2.8 by allowing one step more. I've done 1/15 with it and the result was (to me) unbelievable). Also, it's lighter and needs less space ans smaller filters. Great lens!
    Well, in most cases the better VR will not make that much of a difference to me. I wanted the f2.8 setting for blurred backgrounds and sports photography. However, for events like weddings and proms this may become helpful. I think for some portrait/ fashion work the backgrounds will be sufficiently blurred @ 200/4, so I can live with that.

Weight, size and filter thread size is usually not a big issue for me. I'm rather in strong physical shape and for filters I'm using a Lee system anyway.
    The store took in the Tamron and I took the Nikon 70-200/4 instead. My problem is solved. Still I think Tamron should do something about this.
    You're right, but I doubt you'll look back once you tried the new lens. Just don't make the mistake to buy the superexpensive collar.
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    @leonsuetfeld: Enjoy your new lens. :D
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
    Thanks guys. No, I won't buy the collar, that seems somewhat unnecessary. Being as lightweight as it is, I think the tripod can handle it without a collar. Took some test images (sports, tennis) yesterday and was satisfied so far. Images seemed quite sharp, but 1/4000, ISO1600 and up may not be ideal conditions to test a lens for sharpness ;-) Today I have a studio shoot and will probably also give it a go there. I don't really see it replacing the 85/1.8 for most of the studio work though. That one is still the best lens I've ever used (didn't get my hands on the 85/1.4 yet).
    edited July 2013
    Actually, the 85/1.4 is not much sharper, but very fast showing CA wide open. Also - and unfortunately - I made the experience that after less than 4000 pics the focusmotor needed to be changed. And although it's a pro lens, I had to wait a couple of weeks to get it back as there were no spare parts available. I will not exchange it against a 85/1.8, because it is really sharp. But in case Sigma brings out an "A"-type 85/1.4 or faster, somebody can make a nice deal buying my Nikkor.
    Post edited by JJ_SO on
    I'm also very excited about Sigmas new products. Do you know if the AF motor in the 85/1.4 is always problematic, or was it just bad luck? On which camera do you use it? I can hardly imagine the D800 images getting any sharper than with the 85/1.8 at 5.6-8. Or did you mean it's especially sharp wide open, compared to other lenses?
  • stbdtackstbdtack Posts: 2Member
    Update on the original issue which I also experienced on a Nikon D800 with Tamron 70-200. First I sent the lens to Tamron service in New York. Tamron could not duplicate the error on their D800 body, so at their expense I shipped my D800 body -- they did duplicate the error on my body. They claimed this was the first they'd heard of the issue and when they contacted Japan were told it was only recently discovered there. The bad news is there is no fix currently. Quote from the Tamron rep: "We did receive your camera body yesterday. The technician had been using it along with your 70-200 and was able to duplicate the issue you were having. When the 70-200 was mounted, it would read as a 24-70 in the fine tune menu and vice versa. The problem only seemed apparent if the first lens being used was saved in fine tune, but regardless we see your issue. We made a report to Tamron Japan and they notified us that they are aware of the issue as of recently and have begun trouble shooting. Unfortunately there is no immediate fix for this that we can provide for you. This is something that may take some time. If you’d like we can check the 70-200 for front or back focus issues and have it calibrated to your camera. Other than that, there is not much else that can be done for now. I apologize for the inconvenience. Please let me know what you would like us to do."
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited September 2013
    @stbdtack: If they do the calibration that would be the best solution. In fact, I took both my bodies to Nikon with all my lenses and have them do just that. Hence, problem solved and no need for AF Fine Tuning.
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • stbdtackstbdtack Posts: 2Member
    Yes, I've asked them to do that. They previously calibrated my 24-70 and even though they didn't have my body it came back to me needing 0 fine tuning - beforehand it needed +155, yikes, which is why I sent it to them.
  • ClaudiuClaudiu Posts: 1Member
    I have the same issue on my d600
    Both tamron 24-70 and 70-200 seem to be the same lens for the AF fine tune.
  • ben_dmbben_dmb Posts: 87Member
    Darn, I have the same issue with my D600. Has anybody managed to get a fix for this?
  • ben_dmbben_dmb Posts: 87Member
    I have just got this back from Tamron Canada this morning.

Hi Ben,

I just received the reply from Tamron this morning.

Despite their best efforts, they are not able to provide a firmware solution for the lens in order that more than one Tamron lens is able to be registered to the camera. While they did not specify it in there reply, it may be assumed that they do not have access to the appropriate code in order to provide the required solution.

I believe I will have one more opportunity later this year to address this issue at an international meeting to which the senior Tamron executives will attend. At the minimum, I will be able to discuss this issue with them to see if there are any other opportunities that a solution may be achieved. I will contact you should anything promising develops.

Thanks for your patience!

Best regards,
  • DryAxEDryAxE Posts: 1Member
    A have the same issue.
    I use D600 and D610 with Tamron 24-70 VC and 70-200 VC combo. They can not be AF fine tuned seperately and this is a big dissapointment for me as wedding photographer. In the last season i used them on different bodies but i hate this "non solution" to the existing problem.
    More than one month ago i have sent both lenses to be repaired in Germany but after a month all they did was exactly nothing!
    Is there any solution to that lens recognition problem, anyone knows?

Otherwise i will have to claim some refund since they have been serviced but they were unable to remove the problem. I see that as defective lens and nobody informed me at the time of purchase...
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited January 2015
    I knew about the problem before I bought my tamron. I did my due diligence research. Thus I only have 1 tamron lense. It is an issue that tamron is unable to fix at this time. If you do have more than 1 tamron lense send them both in to be calibrated on YOUR camera. So that will make them both the same. You can then set the micro adjustment for one lense and it will apply to all your tamrons.
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    Its the same with anything non Nikon ..minor (major) problems caused by firmware for batteries grips lenses. There is a soluton buy Nikon. and if all is working fine for you dont upgrade the firmware.
  • NukeNuke Posts: 64Member
    The issue is the two lenses are using the same Lens ID number. The camera uses that single byte number to differentiate between lenses for AF adjustments. The bad news is Nikon does not reserve numbers for third party lenses. I have the same issue with two Samyang lenses. Here is a list. The ID number is the first byte of the the eight byte number.
    http://www.rottmerhusen.com/objektives/lensid/thirdparty.html

The use of all eight bytes is described here;
    https://nikonhacker.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=671
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited January 2015
    Thanks @Nuke good info..! I can get more Tammy lenses :-)
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• NukeNuke Posts: 64Member
    Thanks @Nuke good info..! I can get more Tammy lenses :-)
    I glad you found the info useful. I just wish there was a way to change the number. It's a real pain when you have two (or more) lenses using the same number. Of course the number is sacred Nikon ground but it's even an issue for Nikon. Apparently they will reuse the same number if they refresh a lens. Tough luck for you if for some reason your using both the old and new versions.