Too lazy to start a new thread..

heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
edited December 2012 in General Discussions
Guess Not lazy enough this time but only needs to be done once  ;-)

Moire for fun!

Post edited by heartyfisher on
Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

Comments

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Funny....my cat would have torn it to shreds, however....LOL
    Msmoto, mod
  • fuzzymucusfuzzymucus Posts: 4Member
    Why would you try and shoot Pacman in the head?

That seems so horribly cruel.
  • kyoshinikonkyoshinikon Posts: 411Member
    Haven't seen this thread in a while...
    “To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It’s at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.” - Bresson
  • Benji2505Benji2505 Posts: 522Member
    Pretty cool. Must be difficult to calculate that.
  • kyoshinikonkyoshinikon Posts: 411Member
    Right before the old forum closed someone asked for a square sensor how about this nifty alternative...

http://www.petapixel.com/2013/01/06/give-your-dslr-a-square-aspect-ratio-viewfinder-using-some-tape/
    “To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It’s at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.” - Bresson
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    What a muppet he is :O
    Always learning.
  • RatatoskrRatatoskr Posts: 32Member
    Guy with too much money and nothing better to do (square sensor).
    Man's heart away from nature becomes hard. - Standing Bear
    It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value. - Arthur C. Clarke
    Just been reading the D600 problem thread. This situations really saddens me. Roombarobot's last paragraph needs to find its way to Nikon times the number of people who have the problem:

"I can't send it in every 100 clicks, nor can I afford to have it cleaned, nor do I want to risk any damage cleaning it myself. That's what makes me sad about this situation. I absolutely love the D600, it is the best camera I've ever had and the images are stunning, but I worry every time I upload photos from it that the spots will have returned. I just want to shoot and get to the point where I mainly worry about my composition, lighting, and technique!"

Maybe that would help Nikon take the appropriate action and allocate adequate resources - kind of like they did when there was a small safety scare about batteries earlier in the year.

Thinking on about that though (in Nikons defence):

As I recall (doubtless others with longer/better memories will interject), the wheels really started to fall off the wagon after the various disasters in Japan a couple of years ago. The supply of cameras - notably the D7000 which was possibly at the stage of its life where demand was highest - really dried up which was not unreasonable given the problems that Nikon were enduring. The D800 launch was delayed and that model dogged by quality issues early on too. Such is the nature of the modern world though, that now impatient people can pool their guesswork, pass on rumour and voice their dissatisfaction to an unprecedented size of audience with the free press of a button. People soon forgot the deaths, pain and suffering of the Japanese people and the environmental damage - both long and short term - and began baying en masse for Nikon to recommence supply of the all important toys. It seems fairly certain that this pressure has contributed to the slips in quality we are now suffering - Nikon are trying to fight off the threat of a mass exodus to the competitors if they don't satisfy demand for the latest and greatest. I would think that a board meeting at Nikon is not a nice place to be these days.

In contrast to that, think back thirty years (those of us who can). We had cameras and lenses that we could take excellent pictures with, and the first thing us photogs new about new gear was when it was announced by the manufacturer after design and development had carefully run its course. There was no hysteria about the latest detail differences that there is now whereby the outgoing models were downgraded in peoples minds by the incessant greed for better and better toys - which are already waaay better than most people can get the best from, because there was no internet. Improvements were gratefully received of course, but they didn't change performance greatly, and those small performance improvements were spread across film, lens and body manufacturers. It is true to say that Roombarobots last sentence was the case then - I only remember worrying about my composition, lighting and technique!

I do wonder where this will all end, and whether much of it really makes us more fulfilled - heck, if it does, what does that say about us?
    Always learning.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited January 2013
    A high speed camera video( extreme slo mo) of the D4 11 FPS

Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    You know, that video made me wonder when we'll hit a speed limit simply because the Aperture blades wont be able to move fast enough...
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    @heartyfisher Great video. Thx for sharing :D
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    @ heartyfisher
    Cool...
    Msmoto, mod
    Nikon asked me to complete a survey today, regarding my recent experience with service. Such was my pattern of answers (I suppose), I got the chance to fill in a free text box with any suggestions I had for ways they may improve their service. I couldn't resist that one.

My suggestion was that they appoint Nikon trained people in all Nikon outlets to be able to offer a while-you-wait sensor cleaning service for a very reasonable price and to cover warranty issues concerning sensor dirt without shipping costs, risks and delays. This would be a win-win for Nikon and the users as it would mean those who do not want to DIY don't have to and still have warranty protection during the process.

We will see what they think...
    Always learning.
    edited September 2013
    Some time ago i got cheated (.. yeah why do people do that ?) anyway i ended up with a 50mm F1.8D nikkor but the aperture wont close.

It looks like some how that little lever that closes the aperture wont budge (yes I have put some force on it but no go).. so I am stuck with F1.8 all the time. .. Now if it was a more expensive lens I would take it to nikon and have that fixed .. but just having it evaluated for fixing it would cost more than the lens( or getting a replacement.) So am i stuck with this as a paperweight? is there a way/instructions where I could fix it myself? any ideas ? :-(

• jonnyapplejonnyapple Posts: 131Moderator
    Try this, hearty
    CC is welcome. DC is also welcome when I deserve it.
  • Parke1953Parke1953 Posts: 456Member
    jonnyapple Great stuff. Thanks.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    edited October 2013
    Nikon asked me to complete a survey today, regarding my recent experience with service. Such was my pattern of answers (I suppose), I got the chance to fill in a free text box with any suggestions I had for ways they may improve their service. I couldn't resist that one.

My suggestion was that they appoint Nikon trained people in all Nikon outlets to be able to offer a while-you-wait sensor cleaning service for a very reasonable price and to cover warranty issues concerning sensor dirt without shipping costs, risks and delays. This would be a win-win for Nikon and the users as it would mean those who do not want to DIY don't have to and still have warranty protection during the process.

We will see what they think...
    Wow, I just saw this post. They have that service in Hong Kong, they do same day sensor cleaning.

Wait Ticket at Nikon Service Center

They have another center in Central. If I remember right, it was $400 HKD for a sensor cleaning, which is about $50. Sounds reasonable, until you realize my camera died the week afterwards...
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    edited October 2013
    Try this, hearty
    Thanks! .. .. seems simple.. ! :-) bet I will have some spare parts after i "Fix" it :-)

• tcole1983tcole1983 Posts: 981Member
    Thoughts on the D7100? Has it had any of the dust problems or anything that the D600 has? I am really thinking about getting one now that the refurbs are showing up for $850. I haven't had a chance to read the whole D7100 thread so was hoping someone else had ;)
    D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)
    No problems at all @tcole1983. Go for it.

If you aren't too invested in DX lenses though, you could consider the D610 as you've had the ol' D5K a while now... :-\"
    Always learning.
    the only issue I know of in the D7100 is ther can be some high iso striations that you can get if you are using the adobe raw converters. To get around that use the nikon native converters or the Rawtherapee converter.

• tcole1983tcole1983 Posts: 981Member
    No problems at all @tcole1983. Go for it.

If you aren't too invested in DX lenses though, you could consider the D610 as you've had the ol' D5K a while now... :-\"
    Well my 17-55 and 35 are DX...so a bit of an investment. I could probably sell them without much loss, but can't afford comparable FX lenses and the new body. Not to mention I am not really a fan of the D600 line after reading about some of the problems. I would rather have the D7100 and use my lenses I have. I have always been pleased with how my D5000 has performed and I know the D7100 would be even better.
    D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)
    I agree with your approach. If you do get the D7100 I am sure you will be very pleased indeed and if you do, please post pics from it with your 17-55 as it will be a great combination I'm sure.
    Always learning.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    Could someone comment on the possibility of making a mirrorless camera from say a rangefinder mount? From what I understand, there is no mirror so the lens is already much closer to the film plane.

I'd love to see Nikon with a mirrorless digital camera made in the same style of their rangefinder, and it'd be gravy if they could utilize their old rangefinder lenses.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited October 2013
    A rangefinder is already mirrorless, just saying.

It is possible, to use the mount, but the size of the lenses might not be the same if they were to include any kind of auto focus system.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.