D800e and oil spots

Comments

• KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    I finally got the Sensor Swabs and the cleaning liquid from Eclipse. I also got a magnifying glass, and checking the sensor it looks like "difficult" dust particles, not really oil spots (what is a good way to tell the two apart?)

So, this being my first time and all; should I try to use one of the swabs without any liquid, or follow the instructions, and use two drops, and go swab-up-swab-down?
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Liquid is important, just only use 2 drops and give it 10sec or so to make sure it is fully absorbed. You want the swab to be moist, not sopping, dripping wet.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Most important is to use a dedicated bulb and blow the sensor heavily with the camera pointed down. Like, for a minute, to make certain all particles not firmly attached to the sensor are removed. Then follow the directions explicitly.

Using a dry swab will most likely just smear any oil spots...
    Msmoto, mod
    Man I am glad I learned to do this:) Thanks guys...

Yesterday I got what I think is/was saltwater drops into my D800, and now they are totally gone. That would normally have cost hundreds of $$$, in shipping and cleaning, and now it took me 3 swabs, a few drops, and 20 minutes to fix. Spend the first swab going over the spots, the second cleaning up, and the third to do the normal clean. Getting so good at this I could have had a production line going:)
    edited January 2014
    And a follow-up question:

I have successfully cleaned my D800 and my D7000 several times now, and I just got the sensor cleaning tool from Eyelead, so I'm all set.

Now however I am thinking about getting the D800E and wonder if there is a difference, given it is lacking some of the filter on the sensor?

Also, I have had my lenses professionally aligned with my D800. If I decide to keep both cameras, is this micro-alignment done by Nikon on the camera or the individual lens?
    Post edited by Killerbob on
  • ChasCSChasCS Posts: 309Member
    @Killerbob,
    July August September October November December January...
    That was Quick!!

Ah, so, how is everything now? Are you happy?
    D800, AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR, B+W Clear MRC 77mm, AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR, Sigma DG UV 77mm,
    SB-910~WG-AS3, SB-50, ME-1, Lexar Professional 600x 64GB SDXC UHS-I 90MB/s* x2, 400x 32GB SDHC UHS-I 60MB/s* x1
    Vanguard ALTA PRO 263AT, GH-300T, SBH-250, SBH-100, PH-22 Panhead
    Lowepro S&F Deluxe Technical Belt and Harness ~ Pouch 60 AW 50 AW & 10, S&F Toploader 70 AW, Lens Case 11 x 26cm
    FE, NIKKOR 2-20mm f/1.8, OPTEX UV 52mm, Vivitar Zoom 285, Kodacolor VR 1000 CF 135-24 EXP DX 35mm, rePlay XD1080

I like that I am able to clean my sensors myself if that is what you mean...

I do though miss a second body. I often end up spending time switching lenses, and a second body would to some extend sort that out. I thought that was going to be my D7000, but my wife uses that one, so I wouldn't mind picking up another D800, but this time the E version, hence my questions...
  • AdeAde Posts: 1,071Member
    The D800E still has the same 2-piece OLPF filter design, except that the 2nd piece "reverses" the effect of the first.

So from an ease of cleaning perspective, the D800E is identical to the D800.
  • munchmunch Posts: 0Member
    I sent back my D800e with less than a 1000 actuations because of oil spots that completely covered the sensor :( I have spoken to two separate repair techs at Nikon and both claim to have no knowledge of this type of problem...ARE YOU KIDDING ME????? (after receiving the body Nikon confirmed it was indeed oil spots and that they were replacing the problem part?? My problem with this whole train wreck of a customer service department is what company continues to put out a product that they know has an issue and places the burden of returning a 45 day old camera on the consumer who has supported them in purchasing their product, I was informed this would be a FREE REPAIR...R U KIDDING ME?? The gas and time that I spent packaging and shipping a brand new camera back to Nikon is REAL... not FREE and the two weeks that I have now been waiting to get my new camera back? more FREE :) Attention NIKON USA, please inform your production plant and your customer service that the D800E has issues!
  • JuergenJuergen Posts: 315Member
    Munch, sorry to hear you are having trouble with oil spots on the D800E.
    As far as I am aware, the D800E does not have a known issue at all, let alone oil spots on the sensor. I have mine for over half a year now and put it into good use in all kinds of environments. I do lens changes, I use zooms, but did not even have to do a sensor clean yet. I know I have a spot or two, but it takes two seconds to remove them in post.
    I usually give Nikon Service a quick call, tell them when I am showing up and ask them to have somebody available to service my cameras on the spot. Most of the times I pick it up again two hours later.

Your case I would have handled probably different. If Nikon has identified a part causing the oil spots, I would have asked them to clean my camera, order the part and then make an appointment to replace the part in one day. So I could have kept using it except for the net repair time.

Hope your camera will be back soon and you can enjoy using it.
    Jürgen
    D4, D800E, Nikon 1 J2, 600 f/4, trinity, PC-E 45, PC-E 24, 105, 50 f/1,8g, 85 f/1,4, Sigma 150-500
  • jackarmjackarm Posts: 5Member
    The only spots appearing on my 1-year-old D800 can be taken care of with dry, air-blower cleaning. Not so with my D7000 which is the "original" Nikon spatterer.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    ...and my two plus year old D7000 has only needed cleaning twice - no oil spots.
    Always learning.
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    I just cleaned my 1 year old D800. It took a gel stick, dust blower, brush and 5 swabs. There was some stubborn oil spots.
    Everything looks good now. If the oil spots return shortly its back to nikon

Im ready for the long exposure shots at f16 and maybe ill do some HDR again

Dont be afraid clean your sensor today (clean at your own risk :) )
    You can use an led flash light to light the sensor and make sure youu are in clean open enviroment.
    Fully charged battery is ideal. I had a low battery and it didnt let me open the shutter for cleaning.
    I think it is is hit-n-miss... Besides the D600 which had problems, and early production D800s, I think some Nikonians are just unlucky.

As for my D7000 and D800, I believe preventive care is the best insurance against any spots on the sensor. I know the built-in sensor cleaner isn't worth much, but I still have it set to clean at every turn-off, I always blow the mirrors and sensor through after every outing, and I keep my lenses clean.

The Eyelead cleaning gel is fantastic, and once you've done one sensor cleaning, you're set... Oily spots or not.
  • itsmebrenbitsmebrenb Posts: 7Member
    I have a D800 and have problems with oil spots since the 3rd day I owned the camera, and I've owned it nearly 2 years now. I've had it cleaned 4 times so far at the local camera shop and it seems like they keep coming back. I love the camera, so I edit the spots out in-between having it cleaned. Is this normal?
    Nope, that is NOT normal, and you shouldn't accept it as! I don't know about the warranty situation where you live, and as Nikon has only acknowledged issues with the D600 in the US, you may be screwed. I would take it to Nikon, but you should possibly have done that on day 4.

Are you sure they are oilspots?
    Yes, when it was cleaned they said it's like a a oil spray in the top right hand of the pictures. They are circular and looks like a clear gray in color. I do think I should of taken it back on day 3, but was on vacation and it's all I had at the time. Talking with Nikon they act like I was frying food with my camera saying D800 don't have that problem, well after reading here, yes they do! Funny how it always shows up in the one place!
    If you're in the US you may be out of luck. I hear Nikon US are sticking to their guns on warranty issues. If you are in Europe you may be luckier. In Denmark at least Nikon DK have to accept the 2-year return right we have.

However, if you bought the camera using a gold credit card, talk to the card issuer, you may find that they extended the usual 1-year warranty...
    Well, I'm in the US and didn't use a gold card. Not looking good!
    Thanks for your help!
  • proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    This is interesting. I hadn't cleaned the sensor on my D800 is several months and was starting to see more spots than I wanted to deal with, even as wide open as f/6.3 against blue sky. I did a few swipes myself and it wasn't getting any better, so I took it into a local repair shop (which does excellent work) to have it professionally cleaned. He told me that some of the spots were oil and that in his mind this was a prevalent problem for the D800. In fact, a couple of Nikon techs had as much as admitted it to him. I suggested that surely he was thinking of the D600, and he said no, the 600 was a cluster, but the 800 had some (but not as many or as severe) issues. Anyone else hearing this? Overall I'm pretty pleased with the rate at which spots accumulate on the sensor (pretty slow) and to be truthful, I'd been changing lenses in some pretty inhospitable environments, including the Costa Rican rainforest. The truth is, there's no such thing as a spot free sensor.
  • Parke1953Parke1953 Posts: 456Member
    +1 proudgeek. I also had not cleaned my sensor in over a year and it took 4 swabs. I have changed lenses many times and try to be careful where I do it and how I do it (camera pointed down). There really wasn't that many spots and most came of with the blower. A few stubborn ones and that's why 4 swabs. Overall I am also very happy with the very slow accumulation of spots. Going on 3 weeks and I don't see any. Will let you know when I see one. I really don't think it's a problem. Just maintenance.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    I have to clean my D800 sensor often, once every few weeks, but as far as I can tell it is just dust that enters while I'm changing lenses.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    Interesting topic, I have also had frequent problems with spots appearing in my images especially in pale blue skies. This has been the case with my D700, D600 and D800e. My D800e has been by far the worst offender in this area. I just keep using the "Clone Stamp" in CS5, but it certainly is a royal pain in the ass that's for sure....
    Today I sent her off to Nikon, I forwarded over some shots from when I got it and recent so they can see it's only in one area of the sensor. They said 7 -10 days that I'll have it back. I sure hope so. I use Clone stamp also kanuck, it works.