INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE FIRST.

Comments

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Welcome to NRF, SouthSideScubaSteve

All Nikon cameras are welcome, some folks even have old "F" bodies around....
    Msmoto, mod
  • WWPWWP Posts: 3Member
    edited October 2016
    Hello all...amateur enthusiast living in Coastal North Carolina. Delighted to find this group and looking forward to learning from all that post such beautiful images.
    Post edited by WWP on
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,287Member
    Welcome WWP, enjoy your stay!

Make sure you share your photos on the picture a day thread!
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    edited November 2016
    Welcome SouthSideScubaSteve. Alright if we call you SSSS? ;)
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • vtc2002vtc2002 Posts: 364Member
    edited November 2016
    Welcome aboard WWP. There are several North Carolina members. I am located in the RTP area. Good to have you on board.
    Post edited by vtc2002 on
  • GPDenGPDen Posts: 1,171Member
    Hi NR, signed up yesterday and tried to post my intro here but doesn't appear to have worked (unless the mods have to vet/agree first?). Anyway just a quick test now and if this is okay I'll re-post my intro.
  • GPDenGPDen Posts: 1,171Member
    Hi to everyone on NR I'm Dennis from Northampton, England.

Got my first digital camera in 2006 (D200) and been visiting NR almost every day since to keep up to date with the Nikon world. Into photography since the 70's and after retiring got more and more serious about it. A Kodak 110 Pocket Instamatic was my first camera before progressing to a used Zenith E SLR and then to another used 35mm Mamiya DSX1000 (first SLR with a 1000sec shutter I think). First Nikon was a new F301, just couldn't at the time stretch to the autofocus F501. Using a Tokina 24-70 and 70-210 that camera took me from the mid 80's up to the D200 purchase.

After retirement from the financial industry in 2006 I started researching the new digital offerings and decided on the D200 with the then new 18-200 zoom. Enjoyed 6/7 years with that set up before adding a new and still fantastic D700. Somehow I also convinced the other half that I needed the 24-70 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8 lenses to get the best out of the D700 (quite a coup for me!). These two body/lens combos really got me going again with the hobby and started to get me into some work (unpaid of course) for friends and relatives (all been there at some point!). As a very keen golfer I've also provided my golf club with many images for its website and general promotional material (again unpaid but this time my choice to help support the club). Any interested golfers can check out my club at: www.northamptongolfclub.co.uk

Over the last 4/5 years I've really got into golf photography, preferring on many occasions to spend the day taking shots of my fellow members rather playing myself. Golf and photography are by far my main interests these days. I've managed to get quite adept at catching the key shot in golf, the moment of impact with the ball. That's not to say there aren't loads of other great images to capture of this great game. Despite being quite shy/reserved I really enjoy taking photos of people, both on and off the golf course. The interaction with the subjects is not only enjoyable but also challenging when trying to get that perfect pose/shot.
    Although still using the D200/18-200 regularly alongside the D700 I decided last year to trade it in against a new D810 to keep up with the advance in camera technology. Although slower fps than the D700 (7 vs 8) I've long since realised that, with golf at least, you only get one frame to grab that impact shot. Trial and error and lots of practice has increased my success rate there. I managed again to swing the upgrade with the wife and at the same time slipped in the excellent 18-35mm f3.5/f4.5 for a few more options on the wide side. I do like other photographic subjects including landscape, other sports including country pursuits as well as street scenes. Holidays usually give me the best opportunity for street stuff, especially busy markets in France and Spain when I like to go out light with the D700 or D810 (minus grips) and my 50mm f1.8, another great lens for the price.

As of today the D810 is my primary body with the D700 always there as reserve or for close-ups when I've got longer glass on the D810. For golf the combo works great with one for on the tee group shots and the other for individual action shots and candids. Despite the cropping ability of the D810 the 70-200 is a little too short for on the course golf shots where you can't get too close to the action. I did pick up a used TC-20E III which works great in good light but the drop in image quality is noticeable. Initially I wanted the 80-400 AFS but whilst waiting for the price to drop and my funds to rise the 200-500 came out. With very good reviews and a great price I got one back in July and used it 'straight out of the box' for a whole weekend during our golf club's Club Championship (2,000+ shots) and was absolutely delighted with the results. Great image quality throughout the 200-500 range given decent light and not too high ISOs. This lens really has satisfied my current desire for kit, until Nikon Acquisition Syndrome strikes again of course!!

So that's me in a fairly large nutshell (sorry for the long intro but you do only do this once). I now look forward to getting involved in the various debates going on in the forum and to posting some of my own images on the PAD. A bit apprehensive about sharing photos on such forums, but from what I've observed with NR the vast majority of people posting etc. are just like me in their love of photography and desire to keep learning and improving our technique through sharing collective experiences.

Cheers Dennis (or GPDen now!).
    Welcome to NRF, GPDen. Always great to have new folks on the Forum. Look forward to seeing your stuff.
    Msmoto, mod
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    Welcome to the forum Dennis
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • sportsport Posts: 120Member
    Hi fellow Nikon users. I've lurked on this site for awhile and finally decided to jump in on the action.
    Welcome sport, enjoy the forum.
    Always learning.
  • TerryBlackwellTerryBlackwell Posts: 1Member
    Hey guys. I just joined this board, but have been reading NR for more than a year now. My name's Terry, 25, Im a science student from London and I have a little photography business as my second job. I shoot mostly people. If you like, I currently work for one of the best Smart TV box shops. I use a D800, but thinking about getting 1-2 D3200s for stereoscopic photography, which is something I've been playing around with lately.
    Sounds like an interesting project Terry, I look forward to seeing some results. Welcome to NR.
    Always learning.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,444Member
    edited February 2017
    I don't usually fill in these slots but it seems I have been accepted here after nearly 1000 posts . I started in the early 70s with Miranda (not the Jessops versions) slide processing etc and then in the late 80s moved heavily into Video with cameras at that time costing a wopping £7000 . Worked for big names in the late 90s inc Dior but year 2000 put an end to the core business and we left for Australia. In 2007 the americans crashed the world with Fanny May and Freddie Mac and we returned to set up our Wedding photo business. Within 6 months had 40 bookings. With the decline of church weddings and the rise of hotel weddings which opened the way for corruption the bookings dropped away. We have now adopted a new tack and quadrupled the prices and attack the London market.
    You must fish where the fish are . So far the keep net is filling up.
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • MrOsatoMrOsato Posts: 1Member
    I've always been accused of taking too many photos by those around me, but hey, that's what photographers do, I say!

I'm not a professional, or even semi-pro yet, but I love photography and after several years not using any DSLR in a meaningful way I've decided to get back into it properly.

I'm selling both my older DX cameras and will be buying FX to replace and see where that takes me. I'm a keen people (plus animal!) and street photographer.

I'm very happy I found this website and additional forum.

Best wishes,
    Adam
    Welcome to NR Adam. You might also want to consider a little M4/3 for street?
    Always learning.
  • rangel28rangel28 Posts: 11Member
    edited April 2017
    Hi, my name is Richard. I am new to the Nikon Rumors website and forum, but have followed NR on Twitter. I am an avid amateur photographer who has been using Nikon cameras for years (my first 35mm SLR Nikon was the FG-20, which I still have) and primarily use the D7200 and D5200. I enjoy landscape photography and luckily I have golden retrievers who like having their photos taken.
    Post edited by rangel28 on
    Welcome Richard, enjoy the NR community. Lets see those dawgs on the PAD thread!
    Always learning.
  • rangel28rangel28 Posts: 11Member
    Thanks! The doggie photos will be coming, I promise!
  • AbhinavAbhinav Posts: 40Member
    I'm old user...who is back here again ... Dunno what happend to my post count ...It shows only 7 -_-
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Welcome Betelgeuse to NRF. You have two excellent DSLR's and a nice selection of lens, so get out there and start shooting. Be sure to post on Picture a Day (PAD).
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • shanmugarashanmugara Posts: 4Member
    Hi, I am Raj. Just joining the NRF, though i have been reading as a guest for a while now. I am an IT engineer by profession. Photography is my biggest hobby. I had been a Canon shooter for 6 years. I used Canon T3i, 60D, 6D and my last was 5D m3. I decided to make the switch to Nikon mainly impressed by the dynamic range of the sensors and overall value for money that Nikon provides. Hence I bought by first Nikon DSLR the D750-24-120mm kit a month ago, and I am so satisfied I made the switch finally. I am very impressed with the dynamic range and colors produced by the 750, and the camera is packed with features. I did several side by side comparisons with my 5Dm3 and D750, and 90% of the time d750 came out with flying colors. Though i have only the kit lens for now, which is perfect, i might buy a prime for portraits.
    Though I find some little things to complain about Nikon, nothing major. One complain is the battery compartment door - why is the door not spring loaded? I have to pry it open as I release the lock. Canon pops the door open as the lock is released...easier to open.
    Does anyone know the level of weather sealing for D750 and the 24-120mm lens? I was in Cape Cod, whale watching. It was raining lightly and the ocean spray was adding on to it. I was not sure if the camera and lens can handle it, hence didn't take the camera out. I wouldn't have hesitated with my 5Dm3 to shoot in that situation.
    Welcome to all. If questions come up, i.e., moisture with Nikon cameras, I might suggest a new thread so all can offer suggestions.
    Msmoto, mod
  • ronjamesronjames Posts: 1Member
    Peter said:

Moving thread from old forum.

hi guys and of course gals - new member here -new to photography (at least coming back in after some no. of years ) using a nikon d5600 and getting to grips with it so looking to advance my knowledge and skill by joining this forum
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Welcome ronjames. You have an extra camera with that D5600. Be sure to drop some pictures into PAD (Picture A Day).
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |