INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE FIRST.

Comments

• PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    7pilot said:

Photobug said:

7pilot said:

Jerry (7pilot) From the great Pacific Northwest (Walla Walla). Only been into DSLR photography for a short time due to my wife's P&S getting stolen on holiday in Prague when we lived in Europe from 2010-2014. Went back to our home in Germany and bought my first DSLR. A D5100. A bit underwhelming I know. But it has served me well. Added a D7100 a couple of years ago and just last week ordered a D500. So I'm good for a good long while. I'm retired Air Force and will start roaming the USA in a motorhome next summer after the wife retires.

My Flickr page: https://flickr.com/photos/148291374@N03/

Good for your...retired and roaming the USA. Remember, with these good cameras its all about the lens. Buy one or two FF (full frame lens) and it will make those cameras shine. The 70-200 f/2.8 is great on the D7100 and D500. You don't have to buy the newest 70-200E lens, the 70-200G will save you some money and you will be very happy with the results.
    At this point I have a micro Nikkor 105MM F/2.8 AF-D, Tokina DX 11-16 F/2.8, Sigma DX 50-150 os F/2.8, and the kit lens from the old D5100 18-55. Was thinking about adding the 70-200 F/4 after wife recovers from the camera purchase.
    The 18-55 f/2.8 is an excellent lens. If you can't spring for the 70-200 2.8 the f/4 will serve you well. You definitely need that lens for reach. Tip...I worked in 4 new lens and 1 new DSLR body over 4 years by paying for it from my IRA account. Got to keep the wife happy...a happy wife is a happy life!
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • 7pilot7pilot Posts: 19Member
    edited December 2017
    That 18-55 is the slow kit lens from the D5100. It works very well on the D5100 as a walkabout lens. I have actually been interested in some of the old Nikkor glass primes. Good glass and as everyone wants a 10-1000 zoom those old lenses are not spendy. Although those pesky DSLR video guys are trying to drive the price of the old glass up.

As i'm of a certain age. I too can dip into the retirement funds without penalty.
    Post edited by 7pilot on
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    7pilot said:

That 18-55 is the slow kit lens from the D5100. It works very well on the D5100 as a walkabout lens. I have actually been interested in some of the old Nikkor glass primes. Good glass and as everyone wants a 10-1000 zoom those old lenses are not spendy. Although those pesky DSLR video guys are trying to drive the price of the old glass up.

As i'm of a certain age. I too can dip into the retirement funds without penalty.

As I typed that original message I wondered if it was the "kit" lens.

Have access to that retirement fund has allowed me to buy some really nice glass.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • dissentdissent Posts: 1,329Member
    I've taken some of my favorite images with the 5100 and the kit 18-55 when I first got it. I've moved on body-wise, but it's still a serviceable piece of kit.

Welcome aboard.
    - Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]
  • GEONYCGEONYC Posts: 4Member
    Hello. I am a new member. I live in Europe, born in NYC. As a person who owned a
    D-7000 and moved up to a D-7100: I don't understand why anyone would not see that the D-7100 is much better than the D-7000, with 24Mps, not 16Mps, No Deep Pass Filter and a few updates. I still use it. I will look for a new D-850 or wait for the new D-750 (D-760?) if it drops the DPF and keeps the same size pixels, at 6µm, (Larger than the D-850, at 3.9µm. Although the 47Mps should compensate for a lot, still the larger each pixel is the better in LL) It should be better in low light and if the processor gets a boost, to Expeed 5.... I'm in. It should cost a thou$ less. To comment. I just bought a used, Zeiss Distagon 21mm 2.8 ZF.2, great lens, especially at the price ($800).
  • GEONYCGEONYC Posts: 4Member
    I am GEONYC. I live in Europe. Born in NYC, I have a Nikon D-7100, which
    I recommend over the D-7000, with 24Mps over 16Mps. And, over the
    D-7200and7500 I just bought a Zeiss 21mm 2.8 ZE 2. (DX: 31.5.) for $800 in
    A condition, Very few, if any around. Will look at the D-860 or, if it is out soon
    a, D-760. I also have a Fuji X1-M w/16-50 3.5. Clunky shutter, not very good in low light focusing and the monitor only is another drawback in daylight. I would recommend the new Fuji Xs, like the T-20 or others, but not at the current prices.
    You ask why I bought it. I had the D-7000 at the time and wanted the No DPF feature
    and the price, at $450 w/grip, was an offer I couldn't refuse, as a back-up camera.
    I want to sell it if/when I get the chance.
  • BestazyBestazy Posts: 1Member
    edited January 2018
    Bestazy here from So. Cal. Have been into photography since the mid 80s or so. Have recently over the last several years begun to take on paid assignments, mostly portraits, horse shows and the like. Have visited this site often for the rumors, and looking forward to contributing on this forum.
    All the best Bestazy.Cheer.
    Post edited by Bestazy on
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Welcome to NR Bestazy. Show us what you've got on PAD!
    Always learning.
  • FotoDuesudueFotoDuesudue Posts: 2Member
    Hi,
    I'm Alessandro, wedding photographer in italy, if you have time please check my website, and tell me your impression! Thanks, all the best, alessandro
    www.duesudue-wedding.com
  • tecumseh777tecumseh777 Posts: 0Member
    Hello all, I have been monitoring the various Nikon Rumors Forum postings for some time and finally have taken the time to introduce myself. I am an outdoorsman that enjoys taking wildlife, landscape, micro, and other general photographs. I started out with the old N2020 camera and eventually began using my in-laws Sony Alpha 200 camera and lenses along with a couple other point-and-shoot cameras. I eventually grew tired of not having a real advanced DSLR camera so I studied and eventually purchased a N750 along with Tamron 24-70mm, F2.8 Di VC USD lens. I am very happy with this lens though I have not used it but a couple of times. I ended up purchasing a Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR and a AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED lenses. I've yet to get out and use the micro lens and look forward in doing so as I enjoy taking pictures of mushrooms and other small subjects found in the woods and creek bottoms. I am now trying to decide whether to purchase the AF-S NIKKOR 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR or the Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2. I am still researching as it seems every time I decide on one or the other I tend to second guess myself and reconsider and don't pull the trigger on buying either. Frustrating! ...I know spending $1400 for some is not a big deal but if you are not bringing in some revenue with you photography, or if one hasn't hit the big bucks or inherited old money, then it is tough for some like myself. :-) ...some like myself are just frugal and can be "tighter than bark on a tree!". ...so if y'all have advice let me know? ...also, I may sell my Tamron 24-70mm since I don't use it enough.
    Cheers, Mark (aka Tecumseh)
    Welcome to NR tecumseh777. This is not the place to post questions - most people don't even look at this thread. Copy the body of your post into a thread on the main forum, tag it for later searches and give it a relevant title and you will get a response.
    Always learning.
  • natyatconatyatco Posts: 7Member
    Nathan here. I used to study photography 4 years ago but I stopped due to work and now I feel like a beginner again.
    Welcome to NR Nat, Don't worry, we'll confuse you more in no time!
    Always learning.
  • richfisherrichfisher Posts: 13Member
    New to forum, but not Nikon. Started with Nikon in the mid 1970s with an FM. Switch to Canon when the came out with the IS lens and now that Nikon has some great (and probably better camera bodies) I am considering switching back.
  • f8photo_cinef8photo_cine Posts: 1Member
    Hello Everyone,
    I am new here. I have been in the photography profession for over 40 years and have also done camera repair work. I am now retired and am a disabled veteran. I have shot for 3 wold-wide agencies, mostly in Russia and Europe and some work in the US, but now just for myself. I have too much equipment, but (between you and me) I always look for more. If my wife finds out she will beat me. Most of my equipment is Nikon, but I love working with my Hasselblad and Fuji GX680. I also recently bought a Leica R8 which has an interchangeable digital back so I can shoot either film or digital. The R8 and R9 are the only cameras with changeable backs. The other cameras I also have fun with. Most of my serious and professional work is done on film which I have transferred to disc so I and do PP work if I need to later. I try to do as LITTLE of that as I need to. My work now is mostly landscape, scenics, historic, and social/cultural. I look forward to reading your adventures and what you have to offer and your questions and hope you have wonderful times while taking photos. Thank you.

Tim Gasper

"May all your journeys be safe and full of wonders."
    Welcome to NR guys, please post images for us to see on PAD (photo-a-day).
    Always learning.
  • TopaazyTopaazy Posts: 3Member
    hello everyone!
    Im new!
  • natyatconatyatco Posts: 7Member
    Welcome to the community.
  • YogiwannabeYogiwannabe Posts: 1Member
    Hello all! Making my quick intro - freelance paralegal in KW Ontario area. Work from my home office in the country, overlooking a fairly substantial wildlife/pond area. Have had a d60 for years and used extensively with the kiddo's sports but now seeking to upgrade and focus on my birds, bees and butterflies. Thinking I might need to re-set some equipment. Talk soon,
    Yogi
    Welcome Yogi.
    Always learning.
    @belladaisy2018 Introduces herself:

New to the forum. Live in China. Enjoy wildlife/nature Photography. Always trying to further my knowledge in this great world of Nikon!
    Always learning.
    Welcome @belladaisy2018 . Please read the top (sticky) rules post and enjoy your time here. We look forward to seeing your images on photo-a-day.
    Always learning.
  • Chrisp_D810Chrisp_D810 Posts: 2Member
    Nikon Fan from maui hawaii. Been shooting with my first nikon d90 since 2010 then upgraded to a d300 and now with my first D810. Glad to join this forum hoping to learn from other nikon shooters around the world.
    Welcome @Chrisp_D810. Enjoy your time here and show us some shots on P.A.D. of that lovely place you live.
    Always learning.
  • dondon Posts: 1Member
    Howdy. Don here. It’s a relief we only have to introduce ourselves and not explain ourselves...
    :-)